How would you about this?

Old 04-27-2010, 06:33 AM

I was asked by the Spanish teacher at school not only to make a Cinco de Mayo wall hanging for the school celebration (which I did) but also to make 6 long skirts for the girls to wear. She bought the material, ribbon, and elastic.....and a basic pattern. The pattern was for a short skirt that came above the knee, but she wanted them floor length. 5 layers, with ribbon and gathering, long tie sash at the sides. Gave me 3.5 yards of fabric each color. I had to work off the pattern she gave me, adding 12" to each layer for the length. Took me 10-12 hours for each skirt, as all the seams had no raw edges. Gave the 4 I had finished to her yesterday, so the girls could practice the dance in them. Today she comes in and says that the skirts are not what she wanted, they are not 'full enough' for the twirling. So, the other two that I have yet to do - one is completed with the exception of the layers to sew (they are already gathered an completely pinned) and the last one isn't cut out yet. She said to stop working on them as they are useless to her. She thinks someone else can add material to them to make them what she wants. (Good luck with that! Did I mention the professional seams?) I suppose I should be glad that I don't have to spend into the wee hours sewing them anymore (full time jobs and every day life do get in the way) but I feel as though I wasted precious energy and time. Since she already has the skirts, I an not sure she plans on paying me for them either........I asked and she said that the skirts were worthless to her..........hmmmmmmmmm.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:44 AM

I am so sorry you have had such a bad experience. I think you have to be the better person and let it go. I assume you have a child in this school. The skirts can go in the costume collection and you can chalk it up to poor communication. I have been through a lot of these
as an art teacher and mother of a musical theater kid. Also made 4 prom dresses for girls whose mothers were not on duty. Stepped in at the last minute to finish a class quilt when the other mother got too busy. It's part of being a generous parent. Hopefully your child will value your effort. Have a good excuse ready for the next time.
My youngest is 21 and about to graduate from college. I had forgotten that 5th grade quilt, costumes, prom dresses.She's a wonderful, generous girl. She learned that from me.

Quilt for Lily
[ATTACH=CONFIG]12326[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-12326.jpe  
Old 04-27-2010, 06:46 AM

The skirts may be useless to her but she does owe you for your time. I have seen some of the skirts she wanted made, they are detailed and have huge skirts, very expensive costumes. I think she thought you would make them for nothing. She gave you her pattern, you made them by it, she owes you! Her mistake.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:47 AM

PS I do have letters of appreciation from the principal
for tie dying 48 tee shirts, making the peace banner with the service club, quilt squares with the 8th grade for Project Linus. Hopefully, the good things you do will sweetern the bitterness of this experience. Dotty
Old 04-27-2010, 06:47 AM

Actually, I just teach at the school, no kids of my own here! It did feel good to make them, I am always happy to help out. I may equate my feelings to making a wonderful dinner and not one wants to eat it....
Old 04-27-2010, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
I am so sorry you have had such a bad experience. I think you have to be the better person and let it go. I assume you have a child in this school. The skirts can go in the costume collection and you can chalk it up to poor communication. I have been through a lot of these
as an art teacher and mother of a musical theater kid. Also made 4 prom dresses for girls whose mothers were not on duty. Stepped in at the last minute to finish a class quilt when the other mother got too busy. It's part of being a generous parent. Hopefully your child will value your effort. Have a good excuse ready for the next time.
My youngest is 21 and about to graduate from college. I had forgotten that 5th grade quilt, costumes, prom dresses.She's a wonderful, generous girl. She learned that from me.
What a beautiful quilt!
Old 04-27-2010, 06:49 AM

Oh my how I can relate! Don't have an answer for you though.She should still pay you, you did as she asked of you, it's not your fault she decided they wouldn't work out. Good luck on her finding someone who will "fix" them. I would tell her you want the skirts for payment then if she isn't going to pay you and they are "useless" to her. At least someday you might be able to use the fabric. That is one of the reasons I quit sewing for people. My daughter does the costumes for the kids school production each year with her only help coming from me. We shop for the fabrics as the director instructs--and then when she shows her the fabric it isn't what she had in mind--so they get returned for another round. And maybe another round. This time we even called her from the fabric store and sent her a pic by phone and she still rejected it when it was bought. Last year she made 2 dozen skirts for girls to be flowers and director decided last minute that wasn't what she wanted to do. Back to the drawing board. Oh yes, I can relate. I'm the venting board for my daughter during this trying time of the year. Everything she does is volunteer and she has to leave work early many days for practice etc.The drama is this weekend. Over for another year. Her son has 4 more years in the school so I guess we'll be doing this for 4 more years.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:49 AM

She owes you for your time, but I doubt there is anyway to actually collect without making a big stink. Everyone who sews seems to get burned at least once on a deal like this.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:50 AM

How ungrateful this teacher is!! After all the work that you put into them and then to say "they are useless." I think I would make out a bill and give it to her. You surely could have been doing something you wanted to do instead of spending all that time on "useless stuff!!"
Sorry for you
Old 04-27-2010, 06:52 AM

Be sure to attend the event and see if they were used or not. I agree with the other, she DOES owe you for the work IF that was the agreement. If she doesn't pay, don't agree to do anything for her again.....she'll know why.