Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
HummerGardenCrafts - My Mom! >

HummerGardenCrafts - My Mom!

HummerGardenCrafts - My Mom!

Old 10-25-2011, 06:36 AM

Betty I feel for you going thru all that. It is the worse feeling to go thru. Years ago my husband's job as a plant manager he was gone all the time and we lived 5 miles from town. He had an employee that he didn't show up on time for work so he had to fire him. That night he showed up at our house and I was alone and he went banging on windows and I locked the doors. He broke the door window and tried to get in. He was yelling and threatening me to do some nasty things to me. He went banging on the house and when he came around to the front of the house I shot my husbands hunting gun thru the bay window to scare him away. I finely got the guts to go into the living room and grabbed the phone and called the police. Sad thing about this is I lost my first child over all the fear I went thru.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:40 AM

Wow! Sorry to hear about that. I live out in the country and never open my door to anyone day or night until they identify themselves. Sometimes not then.

Where do you live in WV? I was born in Morgantown and my folks live in Charleston.

Suzanne
Old 10-25-2011, 06:42 AM

I agree with bkb. If they have weapons also you could have a shoot out going on!
What kind of dogs do you have? Are they big enough to have a deterrent? Do they have the freedom of he whole house?
Do you have a basement? Are the windows and doors locked down there? If so, you may be able to have the dogs go potty down there at night.
DON'T go outside at night no matter what! During the day, let the dogs go out in the yard FIRST before you try to go to your quilt house or anywhere else outside. Even if they are little ones, they would probably bark at a stranger and you could call to have the police check things out. Just explain to them that you are not trying to be a pest but you feel you need to do this until you get word of the situation being corrected.

I had someone come to the front door the other day and ask me to fill a water bottle. He had an accent. I didn't look to see if there was a car in the driveway or anyone else. I locked the door after I took the bottle through a crack in the door. I had my 83 lb Airedale beside me so he knew the dog was there. I had myself positioned to slam the door if he tried anything. I am pretty strong. Afterwards I thought of how stupid I was to even open the door a crack, but he had assured me that it was OK when he saw the expression on my face. He left and I never saw him again.
There had been a marathon with over 1000 runners in town that day as I live on the edge of Acadia National Park. He could have been one of them. They come here from all over the world.
My husband was at work for a few hours but then home the rest of the day. The only way into our basement is through the garage door which is electronically operated. I still locked the door at the top of the basement stairs and all the other doors. I had the phone handy for 911.
Nothing ever happened so I guess it was an honest request.

Please be safe, keep the gun handy and the phone. DON'T tell anyone strange that you have the gun. You never know if they would snap hearing that and you would not even have time to call 911. I am not trying to scare you but I think sometimes things escalate in a situation like that.

GOD BLESS. BE SAFE. I AM PRAYING FOR YOUR SAFETY, PEACE AND COMFORT!!!!!
Old 10-25-2011, 06:42 AM

I am so sorry to hear this happened to you. I am so glad that you were careful.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:47 AM

It's a sad world we live in anymore. With the home invasions lately, you can't be too careful. Thankful you are alright!
Old 10-25-2011, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by OmaForFour
I agree with bkb. If they have weapons also you could have a shoot out going on!
What kind of dogs do you have? Are they big enough to have a deterrent? Do they have the freedom of he whole house?
Do you have a basement? Are the windows and doors locked down there? If so, you may be able to have the dogs go potty down there at night.
DON'T go outside at night no matter what! During the day, let the dogs go out in the yard FIRST before you try to go to your quilt house or anywhere else outside. Even if they are little ones, they would probably bark at a stranger and you could call to have the police check things out. Just explain to them that you are not trying to be a pest but you feel you need to do this until you get word of the situation being corrected.

I had someone come to the front door the other day and ask me to fill a water bottle. He had an accent. I didn't look to see if there was a car in the driveway or anyone else. I locked the door after I took the bottle through a crack in the door. I had my 83 lb Airedale beside me so he knew the dog was there. I had myself positioned to slam the door if he tried anything. I am pretty strong. Afterwards I thought of how stupid I was to even open the door a crack, but he had assured me that it was OK when he saw the expression on my face. He left and I never saw him again.
There had been a marathon with over 1000 runners in town that day as I live on the edge of Acadia National Park. He could have been one of them. They come here from all over the world.
My husband was at work for a few hours but then home the rest of the day. The only way into our basement is through the garage door which is electronically operated. I still locked the door at the top of the basement stairs and all the other doors. I had the phone handy for 911.
Nothing ever happened so I guess it was an honest request.

Please be safe, keep the gun handy and the phone. DON'T tell anyone strange that you have the gun. You never know if they would snap hearing that and you would not even have time to call 911. I am not trying to scare you but I think sometimes things escalate in a situation like that.

GOD BLESS. BE SAFE. I AM PRAYING FOR YOUR SAFETY, PEACE AND COMFORT!!!!!
I would have yelled to them where the hose pipe was outside...
Old 10-25-2011, 06:49 AM

I'm so sorry!! I live in the country and understand how you can be scared when someone comes @ night!!! Keep the door locked and have your gun around!!!!!!!! My thoughts and prayers are with you!!!!!!!
Old 10-25-2011, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by HummerGardenCrafts
I know I won't get a bit of sleep tonight. I was setting her playing bingo on fb. Then I was going to go back to what I was working on.

There was a knock on my door. I asked who it was. The guy said I'm lost! I run and got my handgun and hid it behind my back. I opened the blind and pulled it up. I did not open my door.

I told the guy which way to go. He said thanks and ok.
I laid the gun beside me. I went to my bedroom and peeked out the blind. There was a white or cream colored car, four door. I saw him go through the gate and get in the front seat. I also saw a cigarette glowing red. Someone else was standing outside the back of the car. I saw that person get in the back. So that told me there was three to four in the car. If it was only two the second guy would of gotten in the front seat.

I watched the car leave. It went right from what I could tell. I didn't see any lights go up the hill.

It was like 5 to 7 min. if that long there was another knock on the door. I think I asked who it was. The guy said it's me again. I'm still lost. I told him to go to the secondary road, take a right, go to the main road and take another right. It would take him right to where he wanted to go. He then said can I ask you another question. I said yes sir. By this time my attitude changed to being kinda rude. He said do you have any oil. I said no sir I do not. He said ok thank you.

I went back to my bedroom to peek out. That guy was no where in sight. He didn't go out the main front gate. There is a gate between our house and my quilt house. You would not know it was there in the dark. Get my meaning. I feel they had been scopeing the place out.

I went right straight and called 911. I told that guy what was going on. He said I'll send an officer up there. I told him ok. But if they try to get in on me, I'll shoot them. And I told the 911 guy that the state better annouce themselves.

It took the officers a good while to get here. I didn't answer my phone, I left it on the bed where I was watching out my window. I heard the state p do their siren thingy and went to open the door.

They saw me and got out. Asked if I had dogs. I told them they were in the house. They were coming through the gate and I told them I did have my handgun. That I would lay it on the table.

I told them the story again. They did not see the vehicle on their way here. And they had gotten other reports of them trying to get a ride from other people.

I told the state p that they might up went up one of the gravel roads at the bottom of the mountain. So they were going to check them out. I asked if they found out anything or caught up with them if they would let me know. They said they would have the guy at 911 call me. No call yet!

What I want to know, where did the car go? If they were trying to get a ride from someone else, their car disappeared.

Seems way to obvious to me! I bet the car was stolen and they were trying to get another ride. Or rob someone.

I got in touch with my son. But he lives in TN. Still helped calm me down. He told me to just keep the heat with me. He'll call me in the morning when he gets up to go to work. I'm to text him if the 911 guy calls.

I've never had anything happen like this before. We have been here over 30 years. Bet I keep my handgun with me at all times now.

The doggies will just have to potty in the house. I'll clean it up. I won't open my door after it gets dark any more.

Guess I'm up for the rest of the night. Anybody else up with me?
We have a dog that only barks until someone gets close to her and talks nice to her, then the tail starts wagging. We also have a handgun, and live in the boonies, and always kind of fear something like this happening to us.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:58 AM
Power Poster

Wow, how scarey for you! Thank goodness you have a gun and know how to use it. I think I would double down on that insurance and go out shopping for a puppy that grows up to be a BIG dog as well. Please make sure to post that all is well today.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:59 AM

Keep that gun with you and if you get any thing else like that happening, go into a closet or bathroom, fire the gun into the ceiling. If it continues fire it above the front door. If that doesn't scare the ---- out of them, nothing will. Don't open the door for anyone, not even the police and tell them why.