Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: hummingbird feeders

Boy, do they make a hummingbird feeder that doesn't leak? I sure can't find one. I have tryed all the ones at Lowes and Home Depot.

Same problem here!

I generally loose more to ants and wasps than the birds get.

Sorry. double. I need to find my new mouse, the one I am using is chasing its tail.

Blog Entries
    I've gotten mine at Wal Mart and so far they have not leaked.
    You might try a higher end style. Do a google search and see what you find:)

I bought one at WalMart and this is the 3rd year using it. I don't have a problem with it leaking. My husband on the other hand, squeezed it and it squirted out all over his shirt. Here in Oh, feeders are put out May 1st and taken down September 15th. I put mine up on Sunday - May Day! We love sitting on our deck and watching all the birds.

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    My nicer ones don't leak and i use ant guards that work great! Our scouts show up in March and the gang comes thru Sept :) We love them!

The one we had was a upside down wine bottle with a cork and spigot...it worked until son knocked it off the hook.

Quote Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
    The one we had was a upside down wine bottle with a cork and spigot...it worked until son knocked it off the hook.
    That sounds like something my son would do!

I have also bought mine at WM and no problems at all. I put my feeder out last Wednesday morning and they were at the feeder that afternoon. I have had lots of goldfinches so far too.

Blog Entries
    I tried quite a few and finally found one that doesn't leak. I love, love, love it!

The brand is Homestead and I got it at Fleet Farm. The top is glass, the bottom is two pieces of plastic that screw onto the top. It's easy to clean too. I fill it upside down, carry it outside, then turn it rightside up to hang; never spills!

Mine has a hummingbird and flower etched into the glass on one side. I don't think it was any more expensive than all the other ones I had tried, and I had tried many. Someone told me that hummingbirds appreciate having something to rest their feet on while they drink, and this feeder has that too.

The flowers are a little different on mine, and I'm not sure it's the same size, but here's a link to this style feeder on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/Glass-Hummingb...dp/B0024E4NPS/

I use a round toothpick to make sure the flowers open easily for the hummers, so they haven't had any trouble feeding out of it. I also use toothpicks when cleaning with bleach to make sure the flower openings get totally cleaned.

We have sev diff kinds. Some came from WalMart, Lowes, Home Depot & I just ordered 2 from a company called Duncraft. I use Ant Guards on ours and I also use a paper towel that has cooking oil on it to wipe the pole down with from the ground up about 2-3 feet. Ants do not like slippery oil. And I have read that wasps are attracted to the color yellow on some of the feeders. So try to get on without yellow on it. Wild Birds Unlimited also carries nice ones. We hung ours out on the 20th of April as we saw a Hummer flitting around. So here in Central Oklahoma they are here.

Prism I think yours sounds like one of ours. It works great.

Get a HumZinger flying saucer type. Easy to clean, and they don't leak. My absolute favorite.

[img]http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pub...43k1QQC2pNJNkQ[/img]

Blog Entries
    I have never had a leak problem. I have a Golden Fronted Woodpecker problem. And if you don't think that is a funny sight....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rushdoggie
    Get a HumZinger flying saucer type. Easy to clean, and they don't leak. My absolute favorite.

[img]http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pub...43k1QQC2pNJNkQ[/img]
    I really like your feeder - but it doesn't look like it holds very much liquid?

Blog Entries
    Just checked on Amazon and the humzinger feeders come in 3 sizes. You need to change the food every 3 days anyway, so I'm thinking a smaller feeder would be better than a larger one. I'm thinking about trying the 8oz one.

It may depend on where you live. Here in WI we don't get very many at a time.....

Quote Originally Posted by NikkiLu
    I really like your feeder - but it doesn't look like it holds very much liquid?
    They make bigger ones that hold more, just Google HumZinger.

I started using them because the bottle kind were just too hard to clean well and the mold would get in there. These clean and fill easy. My only complaint is that in hot weather with low activity the sugar water would evaporate more ( I was living in SoCal then), but since my feeders are well used here they get refilled before that happens,

HMMMM, I am going on a search on hoe to recycle and make some:)

I've been using the Perky Pet hummingbird feeders for years. To me, they are the "workhorses" of the hummer feeders. The attached pic is my favorite style.

Perky Pet Hummer Feeder
    Name:  Attachment-192236.jpe
Views: 23
Size:  23.4 KB

For the ant problem. Spray Pam or any brand on it and they won't bother it.

I have never had one till this year. It uses a plastic water bottle turned upside down. I will see if I can find the name it doesn't leak.

Quote Originally Posted by Boscobd
    I've been using the Perky Pet hummingbird feeders for years. To me, they are the "workhorses" of the hummer feeders. The attached pic is my favorite style.
    Bosobd, where did you get yours?

[quote=rushdoggie]Get a HumZinger flying saucer type. Easy to clean, and they don't leak. My absolute favorite.

Rushdoggie, where did you get yours? Do Hummers really find the saucer types?

[quote=Pinkrose4664]

Rushdoggie, where did you get yours? Do Hummers really find the saucer types?
    I saw them at Lowes, I bought mine at the Backyard Bird shop. Yep, the hummers found it right away and seem to have no issues using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Boscobd

This is my favorite style too. Mine warped a bit and so I fixed it with yellow duck tape. Works great!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast