hummingbird feeders

Old 05-04-2011, 12:52 AM

I like the ones from Wal Mart best. The top is clear plastic and easy to clean, no problem with leaking. Mine are at least 3 yrs. old. I have two hanging out front now. My DH bought some snap hooks and plastic coated rope, that's how we have ours hanging. How often do you need to use the spray for ants?
I put feeders out in early April when I saw first hummer.We have only seen four hummers this year, but it is so dry. Do any of you have the hummingbird vine? I am thinking about ordering one and planting it for them. They buzz me or my storm door when it's time to put feeders out.

Have any of you been to this site http/:www.ustream.tv-hummingbirdnestcam. Mamma had 2 babies hatch, 4-28 and 4-30 but the second one during the hatch, part of the egg stuck to mamma, and fell to the ground when she took off to go feed. Baby was picked up in a plastic spoon and returned it to the nest. She accepted it and tried feeding it, but couldn't get it to open it's beak to feed, so baby was taken out of the nest to rehab. It was feeding some, but died during the night 5-2. They are one of God's creations that are just a joy to watch.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:52 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Loosethreads
Instead of giving them sugar water how about planting red hollyhocks or salvia or red flowered sage. No mess or ants.
Where I am (WI), there would be a limited flowering time. The hummers move in really hungry before much of anything is in bloom.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:06 PM

Try Wild Birds of Unlimited ? I think that is the name .
A dish shape with a cover that fits on top of it. with a hanger coming out of bottom dish.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:08 PM

We use the Humzinger type and we love them. I like the ease of cleaning them.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:32 PM

This is like the one I got at Wild Birds Unlimited a little pricey but works wonderful and cleaning is a breeze. and it has a built in ant guard.
Originally Posted by rushdoggie
Get a HumZinger flying saucer type. Easy to clean, and they don't leak. My absolute favorite.

[img]http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pub...43k1QQC2pNJNkQ[/img]
Old 05-06-2011, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Boscobd
I've been using the Perky Pet hummingbird feeders for years. To me, they are the "workhorses" of the hummer feeders. The attached pic is my favorite style.
Ok ladies this is the one (two) I got and it works perfectly!!! We hung it Monday and Tues morning had a Hummer there feasting in the morning. I told him to bring his friends! We had one (the same?) today. They are so awesome to watch!
Thank you everyone who gave their advise. I am a happy Hummer watcher now :)