Hunting and Fishing

Old 11-03-2010, 11:58 AM

ruacajun2 - Want you to know that I grew up in the city (Boston, MA) but when I married my husband and we bought his childhood home from his parents as they then wanted to sell and moved up the street in the 'old farmhouse' with uncle. It was so country-like here in 1966. Never regretted leaving the city, never looked back. Now it is so built up but we have 2.5 acres we keep rather natural. No 'lawn drs' cutting our grass! Turkeys come through regularly and I feed the birds so see lots of different ones during the seasons. Even have had hummingbirds during the summer. My husband has always had a garden so we enjoy the harvest and we have always kept a few chickens for eggs. Mother Nature knows what she is doing! and you and I appreciate her.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:01 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by Marlys
My DH hunts elk & deer on our ranch. We keep very little of the meat - give most of it away. We will keep the backstraps and make some into jerky & summer sausage. We have a couple of bass ponds on our ranch and the Yellowstone River runs through our place so he does a lot of fishing. We ship our cattle the 1st of October, so we open the ranch up for anyone who wants to hunt. No cattle are on the place until hunting season is almost over.
OOOOHH I say we meet at Marlys, bring our hubby's.. send them off to hunt and or fish and WE have a quilting party!! Whos game??!?!?!?!! :lol:
Old 11-03-2010, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by pheasantduster
ruacajun2 - Want you to know that I grew up in the city (Boston, MA) but when I married my husband and we bought his childhood home from his parents as they then wanted to sell and moved up the street in the 'old farmhouse' with uncle. It was so country-like here in 1966. Never regretted leaving the city, never looked back. Now it is so built up but we have 2.5 acres we keep rather natural. No 'lawn drs' cutting our grass! Turkeys come through regularly and I feed the birds so see lots of different ones during the seasons. Even have had hummingbirds during the summer. My husband has always had a garden so we enjoy the harvest and we have always kept a few chickens for eggs. Mother Nature knows what she is doing! and you and I appreciate her.
I surely do appreciate Mother Nature. My grandparents had a farm. Loved picking eggs, feeding the chickens and pigs and cows and sheep. We butchered our own chickens and pigs. Cows were sent to the slaughter house. My father is a farmer. We did not live on a farm - his stuff was away from our house. He plants rice, soybean, sugar cane and has crawfish ponds that he sells to restaurants and to the public.

But my grandmother was just down the road and we would get on our bikes and visit her as much as we could. We also had horses. Love and miss the trail rides.

Now that I am grown and gone - lived in the country in Louisiana and now live in the city just outside of Houston for the last 21 years -- I so miss the country. I keep saying that I will find land and move and get back to all the fun stuff but my job keeps me in tack of reality and that I do need this job to pay my bills and raise my last two kids. But one day -- I will go back to the peace of the country life. Soon I hope.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:23 PM

My DH hunts elk & deer on our ranch. We keep very little of the meat - give most of it away. We will keep the backstraps and make some into jerky & summer sausage. We have a couple of bass ponds on our ranch and the Yellowstone River runs through our place so he does a lot of fishing. We ship our cattle the 1st of October, so we open the ranch up for anyone who wants to hunt. No cattle are on the place until hunting season is almost over.
Well, I sure would love to visit your way. I have always wanted to check out Montana and Wyoming area. So when you say you open the ranch up for anyone who wants to hunt, is this for locals only?
Old 11-03-2010, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
OOOOHH I say we meet at Marlys, bring our hubby's.. send them off to hunt and or fish and WE have a quilting party!!
Whos game??!?!?!?!! :lol:
I'm game! Come on over - and yes, I am serious!!!
Old 11-03-2010, 12:41 PM

OOOOHH I say we meet at Marlys, bring our hubby's.. send them off to hunt and or fish and WE have a quilting party!!
So how much are the out of state hunting license there?
Old 11-03-2010, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by ruacajun2
Well, I sure would love to visit your way. I have always wanted to check out Montana and Wyoming area. So when you say you open the ranch up for anyone who wants to hunt, is this for locals only?
Definitely for anyone, not just locals. Actually in the last week we have had people from New Mexico, Florida, Ohio, and Wisconsin out hunting. So come on up - we could get some quilting & sightseeing in!
Old 11-03-2010, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by ruacajun2
So how much are the out of state hunting license there?
I'm not sure, I have never asked. I think they are a bit pricey. I can ask DH when he comes home, I'm sure he would have a ball park figure.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:01 PM

Thanks -- interesting!!! Yes I would love to go siteseeing and quilttttttttt!
Old 11-03-2010, 01:15 PM

I like deer hunting, but haven't gone in the last couple of years. I'm hoping to do it this year.