Hurricane Irene petd

Old 08-27-2011, 06:17 AM

I was recalling that after Katrina people had to locate their pets. I wrote my address on harnesses in permanent marker and I put harnesses on my cats. I am not on Facebook but I would like to ask someone who is if they would pass this suggestion on to Facebook. It might help avoid a lost pet. If we have to evacuate having a leash and harness on them will be helpful.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:19 AM

Great advice!!! Pets are part of our families as well.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by zoeytoo
I was recalling that after Katrina people had to locate their pets. I wrote my address on harnesses in permanent marker and I put harnesses on my cats. I am not on Facebook but I would like to ask someone who is if they would pass this suggestion on to Facebook. It might help avoid a lost pet. If we have to evacuate having a leash and harness on them will be helpful.
Just a note from a long time cat lover...get your cat chipped! all of ours have easily slipped out of all of their collars and in fact you want a cat collar to be loose enough so they can slip out if they get caught otherwise. Ray, my avatar got caught in a brush pile on a trip and came home without his harness and tags. We had a new harness which he's till wearing but had to wait to get him now tags! Our vet made them up for him for $9....but surest is chipping. All shelters now have the equipment.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:22 AM
Swap Hosts

Our dogs are chipped so they'll find us.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:10 AM

Check the chips periodically. DGD took a lost cat to the vet. Cat was chipped but chip was broken.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by greenini
Originally Posted by zoeytoo
Just a note from a long time cat lover...get your cat chipped! all of ours have easily slipped out of all of their collars and in fact you want a cat collar to be loose enough so they can slip out if they get caught otherwise. Ray, my avatar got caught in a brush pile on a trip and came home without his harness and tags. We had a new harness which he's till wearing but had to wait to get

him now tags! Our vet made them up for him for $9....but surest is chipping. All shelters now have the equipment.
This is definitely a great idea. This hurricane made me aware of the need. We keep our pets inside and never had hurricane problem here before but I will be getting them chipped as soon as I can. I have a kitten that was abandoned in june and one we found in our yard very wild two years ago, and need to spay and get shots for both. The vet says it will cost two hundred for each and of course that was when my old car needed repair. $9 was a good price because I think petsmart tags cost $7.50 each. I wrote our address in permanent marker and got leashes and it cost over $60 but it helped for this emergency and if someone can't afford the cost of a chip. I need three more carriers also. I'll be buying less fabric that's for sure but I can't do less than my best for the pets.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Glassquilt
Check the chips periodically. DGD took a lost cat to the vet. Cat was chipped but chip was broken.
That's awful! I have a saying " the devil waits for opportunity." also "what can go wrong will".
Old 08-28-2011, 09:32 AM

great advice; I don't know about any other areas but here there were several shelters that were pet friendly so that was good. I was lucky and didn't have to leave my house for the past two hurricanes and this one I only lost power for a few seconds so my animals were with me but I feel for the ones who can't. I also know that it isn't that much to have chips put under thier skin and it helps so much