Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Husband - vs - Wife

Have any of you had similar conversations? Hubby is avid hunter/fisherman. Sound familiar? Anyhow, deer season is coming up and I just hate it. Me: "Why would anyone in their right mind want to hunt?" Him: "Why would anyone in their right mind take perfectly good fabric, slice it up in a hundred pieces and sew it back together".....not sure I won that argument :roll: Opposites attract?

Blog Entries
    If DH wants to have fun hunting or fishing he leaves me at home. If I want to have fun shopping at the fabric store I leave him at the house. We get along well with this arrangement:)

Blog Entries
    A friend called sitting in a blind his personal quiet time.

And consider it win-win .... he goes hunting and you get to stay home alone with quality time with your sewing machine.

I used to love when my husband went hunting .... a week away, and I had a week of do what I wanted, when I wanteded, and where! And believe me, a lot got accomplished. It was not all play. And it was before I was bitten by the quilting bug!

Blog Entries
    does he clean the stuff and let you cook it? i figure all that venison saves us grocery money. and then i always share with the kids. so it helps them out also. and usually i get extra quilting time in. that is if i don't have my 410 loaded. i usually get a deer a yr with that.

Heck yeah! I would enjoy if mine did! That would mean he would be out of the house and not giving ME a list of things that I need to be doing. With 5 kids I have enough to do without him adding things that IIIIII need to do. :) So, hunting I would welcome. lol

Blog Entries
    Less money needed to buy meat at the store, more money leftover to buy fabric!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    not in this house..we both have our hobbies...and we both LOVE to hunt and fish...though I let him go alone here as it is his time away while I have retreat to go to!

Its not that I mind his absence, just that life as we know it comes to a screeching halt when Buck Fever starts. Yes, I cook vennison for him but I can't gag down more than just a little piece personally no matter how I fix it.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    So funny!! LOL
    My husband and I have a lot of interests together and apart.
    It's good!!
    We are never bored :)

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Just thought of something- my husband doesn't hunt but his brothers do and it seems that they disappear for awhile. I forgot about that. I can see how it could get annoying.

Blog Entries
    the way i think about it is, variety is the spice of life. so various hobbies within a relationship brings spice to it. jmho

Power Poster
    Hobbies are good! They keep spouses from killing each other. I do my sewing thing and he does his hunting, golfing thing (not at the same time). He does see deer on the course but you're not allowed to bring your gun. :-D

Mine is not a hunter, although, I grew up with deer hunters, & I don't really miss it. Since mine retired, he is like velcro, lol, thinks we should do everything together! He has been fixing up his man cave/studio downstairs, so am hoping he gets to spending more time down there. I love this guy so much, but 24/7 is too much, would prefer to start missing him more, than being camped in the same room together so much! Use to like venison, the taste never bothered me, just didn't care to see any of them dead, once they had been shot & brought back to camp. I could skip that part, & don't miss it now...

My husband is not a hunter but a skiier which means most weekends in the winter he is out of the house at least one day each weekend. He knows I will just stay home and sew (and since he has discovered the size of my stash he knows it will not be costing us a whole lot of cash either)

Cost of the first year of deer hunting
    Rifle $500
    Hunting Wardrobe $300
    Share of Hunting lease per year $1500
    Used trailer to stay in on lease while hunting $4000
    Blind furnished with lease
    Food, gasoline, extra
    Having head mounted, extra

Most expensive meat per pound there is.
    Can't fuss about cost of my hobbies

Life is about to get very interesting. We'll both be retired by the end of this coming March. Maybe hunting/fishing will turn into a blessing as Velcro wouldn't be my thing either! I'm expecting somewhat of an adjustment to that 24/7. Remember "For better, for worse, blah, blah blah"!!!

Blog Entries
    I don't like to hunt, but I really miss having a full freezer.

Blog Entries
    My DH doesn't like to hunt. He loves to fish. I love to fish. We go fishing together. He understands about my quilting and always admires whatever I make. He takes me to the fabric store and waits in the car. I tease him once in awhile about learning to quilt. He says he is NOT a quilter. lol :)

Ugh.. hunting season. My sweetie is also an avid hunter. Regular deer opens this weekend, and Elk in two weekends... I love that he loves his hobby, and I love to eat the meat actually. What I DONT like, is hunting steals away MY time!! :) You see, we dont live together, and we have limited time together. SO... hunting takes him away during the days that I would normally get to see him. I cant wait for him to get his deer/elk.. so I can have my sweetie back. :)

Quote Originally Posted by TanyaL
    Cost of the first year of deer hunting
    Rifle $500
    Hunting Wardrobe $300
    Share of Hunting lease per year $1500
    Used trailer to stay in on lease while hunting $4000
    Blind furnished with lease
    Food, gasoline, extra
    Having head mounted, extra

Most expensive meat per pound there is.
    Can't fuss about cost of my hobbies
    No kidding!! And every year after that as well! And that comes straight from my hunters mouth. :)

Quote Originally Posted by SouthPStitches
    Its not that I mind his absence, just that life as we know it comes to a screeching halt when Buck Fever starts. Yes, I cook vennison for him but I can't gag down more than just a little piece personally no matter how I fix it.
    Garlic! Garlic & venison were made for each other.

Pot roast! Spread prepared horseradish over seared roast, sprinkle with pepper, pour on a quart or so of stewed tomatoes. Cook at low a long, long time. Cast iron Dutch oven works best. Delish! Even neck comes out tender.

Hubby and three boys all hunt but by the time they by licenses and shells, A new gun this year,, gas,,, The price of a venison roast is not cheap!! Lets not forget the camo and arrows and muzzleloader tag too. Good thing hunting season isn't as long as QUILTing season!!

My next husband is going to be a hunter. I don't hunt myself, but help set and butcher for my cousins in exchange for some of the meat. They get to keep the pelts and such, though :(

Not an issue in our household - neither of us likes hunting.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast