Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hypnosis for weight loss

Hypnosis for weight loss

Has anyone tried hypnosis or self hypnosis for weight loss? I have tried WW and I have never had success with the program because I hate the journaling. The theory is you are given suggestions/tools to help you feel satisfied and quit eating and only eat when you feel hungry. Just wondering if anyone has thoughts or success with this.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I am a certified hypnotherapist and began by working for Positive Changes, then a leader in the hypnosis for change industry. Weight loss was NOT my favorite part of the job, and honestly I didn't see lots of success in our clients. The process was a long term commitment, attending a session every week, along with group class session on nutrition, etc., and it was expensive.

I'm sure there are many programs available now, including one-time sessions, which you can find. Be sure to check out the successes before you buy into them to be sure your funds are being well used.

Weight loss is such a hard thing for most people because it is all too often a deep emotional issue rather than a will power issue. I wish you luck with your journey.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Jan, thank you for your advice, will definitly do research before wasting my money and time.

Blog Entries
    I went about 30 yrs ago when i weighed (laugh) 130 lbs. wanted to loose 10, haven't lost it yet, but found a bunch more.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    I am a certified hypnotherapist and began by working for Positive Changes, then a leader in the hypnosis for change industry. Weight loss was NOT my favorite part of the job, and honestly I didn't see lots of success in our clients. The process was a long term commitment, attending a session every week, along with group class session on nutrition, etc., and it was expensive.

I'm sure there are many programs available now, including one-time sessions, which you can find. Be sure to check out the successes before you buy into them to be sure your funds are being well used.

Weight loss is such a hard thing for most people because it is all too often a deep emotional issue rather than a will power issue. I wish you luck with your journey.

Jan in VA
    I wish I could figure out what my "deep emotional issue" is. I've tried almost every diet out there and still like to eat. I admit, food is a comfort to me.

I tried it. It does not work

Quote Originally Posted by nvb50 View Post
    I tried it. It does not work
    I agree, it doesn't work for many people.
    But it is accurate to say that it DOES work for some.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills

Blog Entries
    Jan, I'm curious--what issues did you find hypnosis to be effective for? It has always fascinated me, but I've never had someone in the know to ask.
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com/

Hypnosis worked for me to quit smoking over twenty years ago but not for weight control. I agree, it works for some and not always for others. With smoking , one must quit entirely but we can't quit eating entirely. Just my little old opinion.

Blog Entries
    I still have all my WW information from the late 70's. No journaling then, it was much easier because you knew what you could eat during the week. I lost lots of weight on WW at that time. I also still have all my cookbooks as well.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

I've used the self-hypnosis CD's that you listen to while you fall asleep. I do feel that it helps reinforce healthy behaviors -- drink more water, enjoying being active, feeling better about myself. I use it as an addendum to what I already try to do and have lost about 35 lbs. so far.

tried it-didn't work
    I don't know how to do that.....YET!
    Life Is About Using The Whole Box Of Crayons.

Quote Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
    Jan, I'm curious--what issues did you find hypnosis to be effective for? It has always fascinated me, but I've never had someone in the know to ask.
    My complete answer is too long for this topic/board, but the quick answer is: I found it often successful for smoking, fears, memory retrieval, and self-hypnosis in childbirth.....yes, labor and delivery! I've also used it to lower blood pressure for a mom in labor and for myself frequently during invasive medical procedures.

I often used hypnosis in tandem with a technique call Emotional Freedom Techniques, a trigger point tapping technique which anyone can do. Google it; you'll find a cute article from me there called "Mice in My Pants".

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills

Blog Entries
    I tried the hypnosis cds.
    I still remember eat half and half only.
    I can hear it when I am taking that full portion.

So for me it did not work.

Blog Entries
    i just saw a piece on this on the tv... they said it does work for some, but not for most
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Jan. It sounds a lot like the deep relaxation techniques of yoga. I found that given a little extra time before a BP test, I can lower it my a few points. I suppose it might be a kind of self-hypnosis.
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com/

As a teenager (many moons ago) my best friend's Dad hypnotized both of us, told us we didn't like Coca Cola or mashed potatoes, and to this day I don't like either one. I suppose you must be very receptive. It was fun though, and he also told us we could not get off the sofa until we heard him say one certain word. You should have seen us when the phone rang. We were a riot. In all seriousness though, he did teach us both some excellent relaxation techniques that I use to this day when I am stressed out and they really do help.

I heard about this tapping technique from the Dr. Oz show. There was a Dr. who has written several books about self-hypnosis and one was dieting. He used a tapping technique to stop cravings. I bought a coupon for a Living Lite 3 hour session for $20. I figure it will be worth it even if it just gives me some techniques to think about healthy changes. Will give a follow up report after my session next week. Wish me luck.

My DGS has food aversion issues... he will only eat certain foods, even so far as only certain brands of foods.

I have often wondered if hypnosis would help him get past whatever the issue is...
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    I often used hypnosis in tandem with a technique call Emotional Freedom Techniques, a trigger point tapping technique which anyone can do. Google it; you'll find a cute article from me there called "Mice in My Pants". Jan in VA
    I googled it and could not find "Mice in my Pants". There are a lot of articles there, but even though I put quotes around it, they could not find such an item. I did go through the video session, and thought it could be helpful, but I'm anxious to read your article.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

I did try hypnosis for weight loss and it did work for me as long as I went to my weekly individual hypnosis sessions and listened to the follow-up tapes on a daily basis, however, it was an expensive procedure. When I moved to a different town where hypnpsis was not available, I gained most of my weight back although I continued to listed to the tapes on a daily basis. For me, I think I needed the the weekly one-on-on sessions with the doctor to make the plan work.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

DH and I went for smoking hypnosis 2 July 2013 - and after 45 years as smokers have been smoke free since then !!! I gained the obligatory 25 pounds - hubby has gained 50 !!! Went back to WW - which we did 10 years ago and kept allthe weight off til we quit smoking --- but now it just didn't seem to work....3 months, no weight loss. Could it be cuz we're 60 now??? Went back to hypnosis - STILL no weight loss. Very discouraged here....but at least we are still non-smokers - but now he's on BP meds because of the weight gain !!! {{{sigh}}}
    Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

Blog Entries
    There is also a book out called "What to Say When You Talk to Yourself" that helped me. It is really about positive reinforcement.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

I tried for weight loss and no success. I gave birth to 3 children and was wonderful, walked from delivery room. Successfully recently loss almost 40 lbs.on diet for type 2 diabetes, good luck

Yes. I did have luck with it years ago. I listened to a weight loss tape every morning before I started my day. It was about a 20 minute hypnosis tape. It just helped. I still had to diet
    Bonnie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast