I am curious.....

Old 10-15-2010, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by kristen0112
We have manufactured homes in Oregon, and 'parks'. When I was a teenager we lived in one. It had a pool, and recreation center with conference rooms or rooms for holding a party. They had social functions planned for the community. We had to have a car it was not close to anything. It was okay.
BUT I would never live in a manufactured home in the South, I wouldn't consider it safe since a tornado or hurricane would smash it to pieces.
I wished the trailer parks were like that when I was a kid they didn't even have grass.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by ktbb
Originally Posted by pinot
How big are these mobile homes. Do they have bedrooms and a livingroom, a garden? Are they expensive? Do you buy them or rent them and do you have to pay for the airea you live on? Is this mostly for older people? How about going to the doctor, dentist. I asume people go to the nearest town for this?
:-P
mobile homes today have everything you have in a non-mobile home...multiple bedrooms and bathrooms, fully equipped kitchens, living room and dining room...tho these a frequently two spaces in the same room. Its' amazing what you can do in a mobile home. Many parks permit "doublewides" which are like two mobile homes connected side by side so you get even more space and features..if you even think you're interested, it's worthe the time to find a dealer and take a walk thru a few to see for yourself. Many are well made and some are still "lightweight" and you need to check them out just like you check out a new regular house or car or any large purchase.

Like another poster, I'd be cautious about living in one in an area prone to hurricanes or tornadoes....but check it out.
--------------------------------------------------------

PINOT....

Just do a search online. There are so many brands and styles of these homes. The world is at your finger tips . You can also search for different parks/communities and what their rules and plusses are .

Have fun. Peace.....
Old 10-16-2010, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by pinot
I did not know there are gated houseboat communities too!! I bet they are rare and very expensive? Isn't that very cold in winter?
In my opinion, they are very expensive. You pay for the parking space and then pay a monthly maintenance fee. In his case, the space cost around $30,000 and the monthly fee is $500. Of course, you have to buy a boat big enough to live in, too.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:19 PM

you can get some GREAT deals on mobile homes in FL. Hate to say it, but the old folks die, the kids do not live nearby, they sell it furnished for one low price just so they don't have to deal with it. I know several people who have bought from estates like that, complete for around $30K or less.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:57 PM

My Mom lives in a gated modular/"stick built" home community. Guard gate, security patrols. She got robbed big time as well as a few neighbors. Never caught them or got anything back.

Don't ever let a gate make you feel secure....ever.

They do offer a great amount of amenities. They are mostly watched over by a homeowners association and all that I've heard from her is that they love to send letters and fine you for every little thing they can. That being said, because of the HOA's the grounds and surroundings are kept up. Just too bad they get nit-picky and unreasonable, IMHO. She's got a stick built house, all one story, 2 bedrooms/2 baths, attached outside storage shed, and two screened porch areas.

You may be better off using a realtor when you go looking and they can answer all your questions---and for a buyer, they are FREE!