Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I am thinking of going Keto >

I am thinking of going Keto

I am thinking of going Keto

Old 02-23-2019, 10:59 AM

My hubby has been on Keto for 8 months now, we started last year with my diabetes out of control and had to make some drastic eating changes, we count March as when we started. He has lost 130 pounds (not all but most from the Keto), has achieved his first weight loss goal, now is only about 20-30 pounds from what he weighed in High School. Keto is high fat, moderate protein, and extremely low carb, he's typically under 30 for the day. He is doing well on it, loves the food and all that, and has had labs done every 3 months or so and is doing well for the most part in that. He has gone from pre-diabetic/insulin resistant to normal. In terms of "non-scale victories" his weight was giving him back and knee issues and he had given up bowling which was one of his primary hobbies, thinking he'd never be able to do it again. We go almost every Sunday morning now, the lanes are cheap and he typically doesn't have to work OT unfortunately with our Seattle snow storm and a broken machine, they will be working tomorrow so no bowling. It's a change for us, going bowling or for walks instead of going to a buffet...

A couple of months ago he added intermittent fasting which is also working well for him and goes well with Keto but you don't have to do both. He has an "eating window" of 4 hours, between 2:00 PM (when work is over) to 6:00 PM. Me, I do feel better with the small protein based snacks every two hours (like a hard boiled egg, piece of cheese, 2 tbl peanut butter) which is the complete opposite of keto.

I'm somewhat skeptical about the long-term viability of this diet. I understand he is in a weight loss phase, but human breath is not supposed to smell like that.

I have also lost about 100 pounds, but I started 7 years ago. I'm not willing to give up salads and the occasional fruit so I take in about 60 carbs a day, dietician says I'm good up to around 100. I really believe in not dieting, the changes I've been making I have to do the rest of my life. Hate the term "lifestyle changes" but they work. Sure the "do this and lose 5 pounds a year" doesn't sound like much help when you are 280, but do enough of them and keep them up and in a couple of years it becomes noticeable.

The big news for me though is my diabetes is under control. Last February my glucose level was 350 and I was put on insulin for the first time, had been on metformin for 7 or so years, that's when I started making my lifestyle changes. Around Thanksgiving my doctor took me off insulin and reduced my other medications. Today the glucose was a little higher than my usual 105, 116, but as long as I'm under 130 my doctor is happy with me.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by leonf View Post
i lke the kato diet. A karate expert attacks if your get neat your refrierator or stove. A la pink panther.
what ? ? ? ?
Old 02-24-2019, 06:12 AM

Keto is not a diet; it is a lifestyle. Once you do keto for a while, you don't ever want to go back to eating white flour in anything. If you are overweight, you will lose weight on keto. If you are underweight, you will gain. It's a healthy way of eating that can be done the rest of your life, and once you have really gotten into it, that wouldn't be hard because you feel so much better.

Search for: mariamindandbodyhealth . Maria has seven or more keto books out now. She goes around the world giving keto workshops.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
:00 PM (when work is over) to 6:00 PM. Me, I do feel better with the small protein based snacks every two hours (like a hard boiled egg, piece of cheese, 2 tbl peanut butter) which is the complete opposite of keto.

I'm somewhat skeptical about the long-term viability of this diet. I understand he is in a weight loss phase, but human breath is not supposed to smell like that.

I have also lost about 100 pounds, but I started 7 years ago. I'm not willing to give up salads and the occasional fruit so I take in about 60 carbs a day, dietician says I'm good up to around 100. I really believe in not dieting, the changes I've been making I have to do the rest of my life. Hate the term "lifestyle changes" but they work. Sure the "do this and lose 5 pounds a year" doesn't sound like much help when you are 280, but do enough of them and keep them up and in a couple of years it becomes noticeable.

The big news for me though is my diabetes is under control. Last February my glucose level was 350 and I was put on insulin for the first time, had been on metformin for 7 or so years, that's when I started making my lifestyle changes. Around Thanksgiving my doctor took me off insulin and reduced my other medications. Today the glucose was a little higher than my usual 105, 116, but as long as I'm under 130 my doctor is happy with me.
Congratulations on your keto gains. Egg, peanut butter and cheese are certainly on the keto way of life. They are all protein. A few things happen at first on this way of living. One is keto flu which some people get and the other is bad breath. They both go away after a while, so hang in there. Also salads and most fruit are definitely keto. It's the usual dressings and sugar that are bad. So find some acceptable dressings and better sweetenings. Swerve is good. You get used to less sweet things in a hurry. I can't stand all the sugar other people put in food anymore. I don't even like it if there is too much of the "good" sweetener. Happy Eating.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:34 AM

Thanks for the correction, Mavis... the every two hour is the complete opposite of the IMF (intermittent fasting), not keto.

I do believe in protein with every meal/snack. So an apple is fine, an apple with peanut butter is better. It's one of those lifestyle changes I made awhile back. Every now and then I ask myself if I'm ready to add something to the things I already do. Early changes were like parking at the far end of the lot, it may only be a few extra steps but when you are very sedentary every step counts. Including that bit of protein is an easy thing -- sometimes we need easy!

One of the biggest things is "everything on a plate" which also encompasses "no eating standing up" and for me recording my eating choices. Supposedly there are studies that show we just don't remember things we eat standing up, including tasting while we are cooking. So I started by yes, measuring out my portion and putting it on a plate. This helps you with portion control and "mindfulness" of being aware of what you eat. Some recommend washing and putting away the dish, but I like to leave them in the sink over the course of the day because sometimes I think I haven't had anything but look -- there's a plate so I must have had something.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:34 AM

I had success with Weight Watchers and say to myself "All things in moderation."
Old 02-26-2019, 04:54 AM

Iceblossom: Sounds like you're doing well. I need to do that protein thing a little more. I know I need more protein because my nails show it. Peanut butter on an apple sounds good.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:36 AM

I don't think I could even do Keto diet. I love carbs, but I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in July 2017 and I have lost 50 pounds. I took a class at the local diabetes clinic and they explained how many grams of carbs I could have for each meal, which was a real eye opener for me. I also learned how to read labels more thoroughly. I make sure I eat more protein than carbs each meal. The protein is essential for controlling my blood sugar. I cut way down on my beer drinking (only one beer a week now) and I don't eat after eight in the evening. My blood sugar was normal in September and depending on my A1C levels I'll probably be going off my medication after my next check up in April.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
what ? ? ? ?
Pink Panther Movie reference.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:05 AM

Iceblossom,

I appreciate your description of your modified plan that is helping with both weight loss and diabetes management. Congratulations on a significant weight loss and continuing to lose over 7 years.

I am not diabetic, but I do know if I do not start properly managing my weight I am heading in that direction.