Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I can't believe I'm saying this.... >

I can't believe I'm saying this....

I can't believe I'm saying this....

Old 10-28-2011, 04:50 AM

This is so funny. I was just thinking about this (and a few other things) last night as I was falling asleep. I'm about to go out of town for 9 days. My eyes flew open when I realized I wouldn't be quilting.

Then I remembered that I have a UFO that I'm making by hand. The jewel box pattern. It's a UFO because I'm bored out of my mind with it. But it's perfect for travel. Two baggies: one with all the little pieces, grouped by color; the other baggie, the pinned or basted blocks that I'm working on. So I'll take that. (It was supposed to be a quilt for a newborn daughter of my cousin's wife; that daughter is now six.)
Old 10-28-2011, 04:53 AM

take it shucks sewing is your thing.i could not go with out my machine
Old 10-28-2011, 04:56 AM

I do understand! I take mine with me except to Mom's and that's because she already has one I can use! LOL I wish I had a smaller one just for when we go somewhere.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:59 AM

I use the time for prep work. I have industrial machines so there is no taking them anywhere and machine applique requires a lot of preparation. When I get home it is time to party!!
Old 10-28-2011, 05:09 AM

I recently went on my first cruise. It was a Christmas gift from my middle son. I told him, I'm going to bring my sewing machine, of course he said NO. I did not bring my machine, but some hand quilting. I did make it ok, but I did miss the hum of the machine. Well I am back home and my machine and projects are awaiting. Get some hand projects, thay are good for times like this.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:18 AM

i know exactly how you feel! my husband and son are backyard mechanics and drag racers. now i love cars and drag racing too. . .but i REALLY wish i could take my sewing machine to the track for the "down time" they have. not sure if this makes you feel any better, could just be there is another nutcase here, lol.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:27 AM

I always have one or two quilting projects ongoing that are entirely done by hand sewing. They make great projects for doing in the truck as we are traveling to go camping, for sitting around the campfire or the camper, or for sitting at the airport and on the plane.

I also feel that these special quilts that are all done by hand are going to be the quilts that are more valued by my descendants. (Oh look at this one! Great-great grandma made this one ALL by hand! No machine sewing on this one!)

I also have taken my sewing machine in the camper with me at times, if there is something that I am trying to get done for a deadline!

Have fun!
Old 10-28-2011, 05:33 AM

Oh yeah! You're going to suffer withdrawal symptoms, for sure.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:40 AM

I understand completely! I've taken my machine on vacations since I was 15! That's many, many years! Went to Las Vegas on a business trip with my husband several years ago and made him visit the fabric shops! He's a very good sport, so I got to see some great fabric. But every time I looked at the gambling tables and machines, I'd think I could get fabric or just throw this money away! I think all you quilters can guess what my choice was!!
Old 10-28-2011, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by luv-e
Don't feel bad .....We have all been there....
Heck, we take our WHOLE RM if we could get away with it!!! LOL LOL LOL LOL
when I go on retreat it feels like I DO take the whole room... :thumbup: I have hand projects I do also so I can always find something to keep my hands busy...good luck