Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I consider myself a quilter not a sewing fix-it-all! >

I consider myself a quilter not a sewing fix-it-all!

I consider myself a quilter not a sewing fix-it-all!

Old 08-11-2011, 07:55 AM

When people hint about me fixing or hemming things... I say flat out I dont do THAT kind of sewing... only the FUN kind, like quilting. :):)
Old 08-11-2011, 08:04 AM

While selling my items at a market one day a girl I know asked me if I could make flags for to put out.. I said sure - she's given me the fabrics and all- in the meantime she asked me to repair one of her children's baby blankets - I did -but in the process I had to do tons of work on it not to mention use my own fabric to redo the entire back of it... not a dime was given... though she knows I do this for a living!:(... I've yet to make the flags because I'm sure I will get nothing for them either :(
Old 08-11-2011, 08:04 AM

Giving her a sewing kit and instructions is a great compromise. It should free you up to work on your own projects
Old 08-11-2011, 08:35 AM

I can understand and feel your frustration. A sewing kit with lessons to show how to make minor repairs is a good idea and maybe giving her a list of shops somewhere close that will do minor repairs or alterations. It would also be in your best interest to mention that you charge for the repairs as it takes away from your quilting time to do these repairs....make it a high price so that she realizes that you are NOT in the repair business.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:48 AM

Just say NO, I have had people ask me to repair things or put a zipper in a jacket etc. I said what others have said, I quilt, I do not sew. One lady said well the dry cleaner down the road wants $14.00 to replace this zipper and I think that is to much. I said "I would charge a lot more than that" she never came back.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:02 AM

I have a funny story. My son married lovely Julie who had never picked up an needle or thread in her life. When she and her sister and mother needed something sewn, they brought it to a seamstress. So I'm the quilter and 8 or 9 years ago bought myself a new Janome because the Singer I had, the tension wouldn't work for FMQ. Julie asked if she could have my old sewing machine because she had some pillows she wanted to make. I gave her the whole kit and kaboodle along with the sewing lessions she'd need to make the pillows. Well, right away, her mother and sister were coming over wanting her to fix their clothes. She kept saying to them....I'm the same person that sent my stuff to the seamstress.....I don't know how to sew your pants or your blouse. Now how funny is that! And she must have learned by osmosis because last year, the children in school were sewing patches together for a quilt.....and Julie was one of the "sewing moms".
Old 08-11-2011, 09:11 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

crafty_linda_b nailed it. It's likely not HER but your DH who's brought this problem on; I mean, how did she find out you know how to use a sewing machine anyway? :D

So, encourage HIM to resolve it. Tell him what you've told us. Remind him that nobody asks Picasso to paint their garage door, or Georgia O'keefe to do a mural on little Jenny's bedroom wall.

If DH is getting the "little projects" from this woman's husband at work, and not speaking to the woman at all, then that's an easy solution. Men rarely have the emotional hangups around "confrontations" that we women do, he can easily tell the other Dh that you no longer have time and it'll be no big deal, I'll betcha!

Jan in VA
Old 08-11-2011, 09:20 AM

My DH isn't selling my services. Most of this went on while he was deployed. Her DH and my DH were deployed together. The latest project with the blanket is the only one that my DH was involved in. I am a bit fuzzy on why she was at their work WITH that blanket to give him since its a 45 minute drive from where she lives. She usually sends me a message on facebook when she wants me to fix something but she didn't concerning the blanket. I was just pretty ticked when he came home on Tuesday with the blanket and said I was supposed to fix it and give it to her when I see her on Thursday.

I do have a hard time telling people no but I am going to have to with her. I don't think she will stop unless I talk with her. I just hate confrontations, even civil ones.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:30 AM

give her a price for repair of item that is unreasonable and that will also probably keep her off your back

$10 to sew a seam closed
$5 for a button anc such

just a thought
Old 08-11-2011, 10:33 AM

A family friend told me when I got a new sewing machine I could shorten his shirts he bought to long. And since I no longer have a job I should have time. I told him my new machine only sews new things no repairs.