I did it and now what

Old 07-25-2013, 09:44 AM

I gave DH and DD Kindles for Christmas 2 years ago - one forme, too. DD and I use ours. DH still goes to the library. Says he likes to hold books and turn pages. Sigh.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:16 PM

Good luck and once you figure it out they are great!
Old 07-25-2013, 08:33 PM

Default Fast check out lanes

Originally Posted by nivosum View Post
Ha! I'm still learning how to do the fast check out at the grocery store at Wal-Mart. I've got the Kroger one down pat. There is one Wal-Mart fast check out register that I try to avoid because I always need assistance with the crazy thing.
The other ones at this Wal-Mart haven't been a problem. Well, yesterday a really nice assistant explained what the problem was. We discussed the difference between Wal-Mart's and Kroger's. Even though she was about 30 years younger than me, she agreed when I said life was getting to complicated. So folks, no Ipad or Iphone for me.
Sorry, but I hate those "self check-out aisles" at the grocery store. I absolutely refuse to use them. I figure if I go through a check out with a real person, that I am saving their job. If we all checked ourselves out---then those check out clerks would be without work. The man behind me waiting in line said, "I come to the grocery store to be waited on, not to work." He also refused the self help lanes.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:30 PM

I like the library, but I looooove my Kindle. I can get whatever book I want any time of the day or night while wearing my jammies. The library has finally caught on and now has ebooks for loan - fabulous!!!
Old 07-26-2013, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchit123 View Post
My son thinks I'm old fashion because I still go to the library. He wants to get me one of those E-book things. I really do not want one. I enjoy visiting the library. My next high-tech is a new laptop. And that's so I can sit outside on nice days or if I want to laze in bed on rainy mornings. I gave mine to my oldest GD and I kinda miss it--
Check out the "tablets" before you buy a laptop. You might find it does everything you want and the cost is less. :-)
We do get attached to being in touch, don't we? It's the only way I hear from my son (3200 miles away).
JoanneS-I agree with your husband! :-)
Old 07-26-2013, 07:26 PM

Not knowing how to use new computers has more to do with Windows8 than with the computer, right? A friend brought her new computer over last week and we were trying to figure it out. My first experience with the new Windows was horrible and I won't be getting a new computer until they come up with something better. I finally thought I found a navigation bar, but when I typed in "google.com" it took me to something in Bing. If it was mine, first priority would be to remove all traces of Bing and the second would be to get Firefox. I also thought the word "charms" for the icons in what used to be the control panel is downright insulting. Was this supposed to appeal to 6-yr-olds or what?! I don't enjoy pointless changes and have to be convinced that something is an improvement before I'll buy it, and I detest the time wasted learning it when I could be learning something else.

For anyone similarly stymied by Windows8, I found there is a series of tutorials for it on Youtube. I don't know if they're helpful, but that's probably where I would have to begin. That assumes you have a normal computer to view Youtube while it leads you through the Windows8 computer on your lap.

I, too, love my Kindle, and if my computer crashes for good, a bigger, better Kindle may be the replacement. I enjoy the iPhone, too, but that little screen is too limiting. I liked my old Razr phone and didn't know I wanted the iPhone until the family got it for me a couple of years ago. Besides phone calls, I use it for a camera, calculator, clock, flashlight, bargain gas finder, navigator, calling up coupons, checking the weather, identifying celestial objects, reading (when I'm stuck waiting and the Kindle is at home), playing games, and for quick web searches if a question comes up away from home, and probably some other things I can't think of right now. I have Pandora and my favorite radio station apps, but would rarely have a reason to listen to it that way. I also have police/emergency band radio on it, just because it was free. If there are a lot of sirens you can sometimes figure out where not to go. It would have been so cool to have all these gismos when our kids were growing up.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
Not knowing how to use new computers has more to do with Windows8 than with the computer, right? A friend brought her new computer over last week and we were trying to figure it out. My first experience with the new Windows was horrible and I won't be getting a new computer until they come up with something better.
I'm with you about Windows 8. I consider myself a fairly computer-savvy person, and it frustrates the tabasco sauce out of me. My husband (who has a company-provided Apple) just tells me it's a simple learning curve and as soon as I figure out where everything is, I'll like it. His almost-but-not-quite condescending tone just makes me want to smack him, especially since he's not even using Windows. I'm with you - I haven't yet run into "charms" but the "apps" drive me nuts. Seems to me they're trying to make it more like a smart phone or iPad. If I wanted a smart phone, I would have bought one instead of a laptop, dad gummit.

However, there IS hope: Microsoft is supposed to be coming out with a patch in a couple of months that will make Windows 8 behave like Windows 7. I'll be hanging on by my fingernails until then.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:14 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

When you think you have it down pat; technology changes. Then the cycle starts all over again .. sigh !!LOL
Old 07-27-2013, 05:57 PM

That's why I am still using Windows XP. I don't need the agravation.