Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I dreamed of my mother last night. >

I dreamed of my mother last night.

I dreamed of my mother last night.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:45 AM

This is going to sound a little "out there" but here goes.
I have only a few hazy snippets of memories of my mother. She died when I was little and I've never stopped missing her.
One of my older brothers just wrote a story about our family about when she was still alive.
I loved it. Through his memories of her it made me feel closer to her somehow.
So last night I'm sleeping and in my dream someone brushes my hair aside and kisses my forehead. Somehow I knew it was her.
In my dream she wasn't dead. But I was busy working and never was in the same place as her so never got to see her. (In reality that's what happened back in 1955. She was always in the hospital and, being little, I never got to go see her before she died. Kids couldn't visit back then.)
Later in the dream someone said Mom was leaving to go visit her mother and that made me laugh since I'm 60 and my grandmother would be over 100 and has been long dead too.

Anyway I said I needed to see her before she left and there she was. I haven't seen my mother since I was 4yrs old so I have no idea how she would look. But she looked like an older version of me and I just knew it was her. She smiled at me and kissed and hugged me. I felt just like the little girl I used to be. I started crying so hard that it woke me up.
This was a very vivid dream. In fact it didn't feel like a dream at all.
I know it sounds silly but I want to let myself believe that this was a visit .
So I will.
Has anyone else here ever had this happen to them?
Old 07-01-2010, 02:59 AM

This makes me cry. Occasionally I will dream of my Mom, she died 27 years ago at age 56. I miss her so much and a dream like you had is such a gift. It somehow makes you feel like she came for a visit. It is so comforting to have a moment with your Mom isn't it? I would give anything to have one minute just to talk to her again. When a dream like yours comes, it seems like she was there for a minute. To those of you who still have their Moms, please give them a hug for me.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:49 AM

God bless you fabric-holic...My eayes are teary..My MOM passed Sept.'09..I dreamed of her right after but not for awhile...my heart aches to talk to her, give her a hug or just to quilt with her...I have lots of tangable things to remind me of her like quilts she hand quilted or the flowers I planted from her flower gardens, the many cards and letters from her..But I know someday I will be with her again in heaven....
Old 07-01-2010, 04:01 AM

My mom died in 1997 at age 61--and in every snippet of a dream she doesn't talk to me. I haven't dreamed of her in years and years. I too think your dream was a special gift--and whatever it felt like to you--is what it was. Embrace it.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:05 AM

Very nice, a hug from beyond. I don't know I believe or not, but the possibility is fantastic. And if it's just our subconscious minds giving us what we need, well it's still fantastic. (I've had multiple wake & dream experiences that at the moment felt as real as me, but then after some time passed I rationalized away... when it happens, it's always a fantastic feeling.)
Old 07-01-2010, 04:22 AM

More times than I can tell you about here. I call them "vivid dreams" and I can't remember NOT having them. No, I don't have them every night but every now and then I have a "vivid" dream about something.
DD has them too, as did my mom. Premonitions? Visits? I don't know, I just accept them as the norm for us.
You found the dream/visit comforting so just go with that and don't try to analyse it. Mom hasn't visited me since she passed but Dad has. Mom visits DD. Although she was only 3 when mom passed, she still remembers her enough to recognize her in dreams--the connection is still there. My grandpa used to visit too.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:25 AM

Karen,

I totally agree that your mom visited you in your dreams last night.

My mom died in 2003, and a few years after, I had a dream that included this (quoted from an online journal where I immortalized it)

"Then, I'm in a room and Mom is sitting on the edge of the bed or a chair, and she's taking things out of a trunk, or putting them in, I'm not sure. She's holding a black feather boa, but it's wide, like a shawl. I'm holding and folding the mohair wrap she knit a long time ago and has been commandeered as a lap blanket in our living room now. Mom is upset about something. She's rather frowny and cranky and she's complaining about how she can't seem to get anything done anymore. I put the folded shawl into the trunk and look at her. I say something like "pardon me for being blunt, but you've been DEAD for three years," in a somewhat accusatory tone of voice. Then I woke up."

My brother dreamed about my mother just after she died, and my daughter and SIL heard her speak to them during our memorial service.

I think it's really cool that your mom is "keeping an eye on you".
Old 07-01-2010, 04:36 AM

Your Mom came to visit, and I strongly believe that is just what happened for you. I believe that because I and my sisters have shared a similar dream of our dad visiting. My Dad died when I was 18, he died on his 65th birthday. I was his baby , I was in Calif. and dad was in ILL. I had a baby girl that my dad adored, and he made a car trip to see us just three months before , although that trip was so hard for him. Well, Each time that I had a new baby, I dreamed that Dad was there, ,and he always said he was there to see the new baby and it was just a short visit so we had to hurry. The week before my Mom died, I dreamed my dad walked into the room where I was sitting, and he said "it is time, your mom is tired". I kept crying and telling him ,No daddy, I need her!" He said, no I didnT and mom was tired. I was 30 years old and my youngest,and last, child was 18 months. I havent dreamed of Daddy since. After Mom died, I was telling my sisters of my dream, and that is when we learned that we all had dreamed of Dad, and he always said the same,it was just a visit and a short one. Mom had had similair dreams of Dad coming and telling her it was time to get the house ready for winter , things like that. Mom and I talked of these dreams many times, and I told her before she died, Mom, come see me if you can. She died in May, and shortly before Thanksgiving, I dreamed of her and one of her dear friends who I called Aunt. In my dream, they were sitting in my kitchen and I was getting Thanksiving dinner ready, Aunt May said Ada, don"t you think we should help her, Mom answered, "no, Carol is quite capable of doing this alone, she doesn"t need me now." I haven't dreamed of Mom or Dad since then. Oh how wrong she was!!! So, believe, it really happens!!!!!
Old 07-01-2010, 04:37 AM

I certainly understand your dream. My daughter died in a car accident 29 years ago. She was seven. Rarely do I dream of her. When I do, it's very real and I'm always so sorry and sad to wake up because then she is gone again. I find peace knowing that she is with Jesus.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:39 AM

I'm glad to hear that others have had the warm feelings that this kind of dream/visit leaves with you.
What a shame it was to wake up this morning. But I know someday we'll all be in the same place together. This'll help to tide me over.