Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I feel like a bad kitty mommy >

I feel like a bad kitty mommy

I feel like a bad kitty mommy

Old 10-07-2009, 09:31 AM

What is it with siamese cats and thread? I had a seal point siamese, Sam was a beautiful cat, loving companion and a real clown! He got into my son's kit from cadets and he found the sewing kit, that night he was showing signs of being seriously ill, so off to the vet he goes, a 3 hour drive in the middle of the night.

The vet operated and found he had eaten the thread and it had tied up his intestines. Six hundred dollars later, almost lost him on the operating table he comes home none the worse for wear. Not six months later he did it again, took the spool right off my sewing machine! Sam passed away on the second emergency trip out to the vet. :(

A friend of mine has two siamese cats and they will eat any thread that is hanging off garments.... crazy cats!!
Old 10-07-2009, 11:06 AM
Power Poster

I do not allow the boys into the sewing room unless I am there and they are not allowed on the table. Mr. Bean usually just makes a pass through the room and heads out again and Monty jumps to the counter and up onto the cabinet. No danger there.

I had seen an operation on a cat who swallowed a needle - so that was all the incentive I needed to keep the boys out of harm's way. Glad you found yours in time.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:59 AM

When I moved back home, my mom just got this 9 month old black lab/boxer/border collie mix and she'd tell everyone not to leave their stuff out. Well...one day I didn't close the door to my bedroom all the way, was gone for half an hour, and I came back to find my $30 MP3 player chewed up and splintered right on my bed (only had the thing for a month). Oh, I could have killed him and just about did, but instead put him outside so I wouldn't have to look at him and cried. Skynard will probably eat just about anything if you let him. Lately he's been trying to eat the acorns on the ground when he goes out for walks.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:41 PM

we have a beagle- known as the "beagle gone bad"- Trixie (must be something in the name). When she was a puppy she would grab anything she could- kitchen towels, shoes, anything not nailed down and chew it.

One day we came home to toilet paper- from the roll on the holder in the bathroom, down the hall and out into the kitchen, about 20 feet worth. It was funny and taught us to close the bathroom door.

We thought she ate a push pin once too- called the Vet, he gave us some things to do (it was late at night)- first time she ever had peanut butter on bread (to push it our her system). About an hour later, I found the push pin on the floor. Whew! Now she goes nuts when she sees the peanut butter jar.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:20 PM
Power Poster

I am so happy to hear that kitty is ok :D :D :D
Old 10-07-2009, 05:44 PM

When a critter is determined to get at something,it is near impossible to protect it from itself! I have a cat that pulls the pins from the cushion and drops them. She isn't interested in it after she drops it! :?
Old 10-08-2009, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

Oh....wow..glad you caught it. My cats tend to leave my stuff alone, but then I try to be extra careful and keep it all put up and watch them like a hawk when I have it out. The worst one is our older cat who loves to eat that curling ribbon. We can't allow that in the house...she loves it!

Old 10-08-2009, 07:17 PM

A few years ago, at Christmas, my adult daughter went away for an over-nighter, reluctantly leaving her kitty, Leo, at home. When she arrived home, Leo had gotten in to the ribbon and had ingested most of the curling ribbon on the spool. Some was hanging from his mouth and some was hanging out the other end. I got a phone call ...with her frantic explanation......Her fiance wanted to pull the ribbon out ---- I yelled no no no....call the Vet immediately. They took him in...at 10:00 p.m. and he had emergency surgery; the Vet said there was 8 yards of compacted ribbon in his intestines...the most he had ever seen ingested...and that pulling it---from either end, would have killed him. Keep that in mind. He pulled thru the surgery just fine...2 days and $800.00 later, he came home, and proceeded to go to the Christmas decorations box----- to play with the ribbon.!!!!!! [b][i]
Old 10-09-2009, 05:09 AM
Power Poster

OMGosh....see...thats what I'm afraid of with her. I just don't allow it in the house. If a wrapped present comes in with that stuff on it...well, it just has to sit there naked because I pull it off the box.

Here's another tip for you guys. The other day a friend of mine quickly grabbed some Advantix out of her drawer and doused her sweet kitty. She thought there seemed to be quite a bit of liquid as she hurriedly squeezed it on....that night the cat woke her up meowing loudly and very upset...my friend knew immediately...she had used the Advantix for her DOG....her GREAT DANE! The cat was rushed to the vet, put on IV's and they barely saved her. DO NOT keep you dog stuff next to the cat stuff where you can pick it up by mistake...the dog stuff can and will kill your cat!
Old 10-09-2009, 09:30 AM
Power Poster

my cat lived to be 17 yrs old but not in my sewing room. he got in there once and ate a tiny, tiny bit of poly batting that was on the floor before i could catch him. if you've ever taken a cat in for a barium x-ray and then an enema to get the remainder of it out- enough said! he was never allowed in my sewing room again. he waited outside on the sofa after that. now i have three cats, same thing. they aren't allowed in the sewing room. just like babies, not a good place for them!