Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Feel sooo bad... >

I Feel sooo bad...

I Feel sooo bad...

Old 01-05-2012, 03:41 AM

Default I Feel sooo bad...

My two grandkids received I spy quilts from their future grandma - when I first saw them I immediately checked out the sewing. There were a few puckers in the backing and the binding wasnt quite right. Geez I cant believe I was being so critical!!!!

My grandkids were so happy and as I watched them play I Spy on the quilt - I realized it didnt matter to them and that I shouldnt have been so critical - However in my defense I didnt express any of the negative thoughts out loud!!!

I think I was just jealous of the fact that the "other" grandma beat me to the punch. I have been under the weather for awhile now and havent done any sewing. I wanted to be the one to give the grandkids a similiar quilt!!!!

This is my apology...I feel so bad that I was so judgmental on your quilting techniques. I realize now that I am just thrilled that you would take my daughter and grandkids under your wing and let them feel your acceptance and love. I just want you to know how grateful I am to know that if I am not around that they will have grandparents that will give them unconditional love.

My promise to to you is to try to be a better person and not be so critical. I now see the quilts in a whole different light - the kids have opened my eyes!!! Thanks goodness.

I still feel bad even if you and anyone else werent aware of my critical thoughts - I am ashamed of my behavior-Who am I to evaluate the quilt techniques - like mine are so perfect lol I was a jealous person and I will do my very best to keep my thoughts at bay.

Thanks for letting me vent - I sure hope you all will "call" me on that type of behavior in the future. You have actually given me the inspiration to start sewing again - I now realize that I dont have to so precise - its the thought that really counts - THANKS!!!!
Old 01-05-2012, 03:45 AM

I think a little jealousy played out here but Congratulations on how you handled yourself!
Old 01-05-2012, 04:13 AM

Thanks for sharing this story. I understand how you feel.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:37 AM

Well, bless your heart. You came, you saw, you felt, you relented and nobody knew the difference but you. I think you grew two feet in that journey and nobody could ask for more.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:48 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by Yooper32 View Post
Well, bless your heart. You came, you saw, you felt, you relented and nobody knew the difference but you. I think you grew two feet in that journey and nobody could ask for more.
Yooper32 said it exactly...... Good for you for keeping it under control and allowing the kids have their joyous moment... Proud of you for putting their emotions first before your own..

Last edited by luvTooQuilt; 01-05-2012 at 04:52 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:49 AM
SEW

I admire your honesty and your ability to recognize what emotion you were feeling! Good for you! Truth be told I think many of us have been in your shoes at one time or another.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:35 AM

God Bless you for being able to recognize what was going on. Perhaps you and the other Grandma could collaborate on a quilt and enter it in a show or something as a sign of solidarity and dedicate it to your mutual grandchildren
Old 01-05-2012, 05:40 AM

My Grandmas and MIL do the same thing to each others quilts. When one visits the other closely examines the others quilt. Never has a negative comment been said but I know they are looking to see how well or not so well the quilt was sewed. I think it is a normal reaction to this situation. You handled yourself beautifully and I see no reason you need to apologize.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:52 AM

I have been so critical of my own work it wouldn't matter what someone else thought. I constantly talk myself and the projects i've been doing down and i've realized the same thing. Kids love that you made it, gave it to them and they feel the love and not the mistakes. Thanks for a valuable lesson on what's important and to build each other up.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:55 AM

We are always way too critical of our own work as well and others work. Good job on how you handled it though.