Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I finally outsmarted the squirrels!!! >

I finally outsmarted the squirrels!!!

I finally outsmarted the squirrels!!!

Old 05-16-2011, 09:20 AM

I'm going lookin for a big hat.

Lynn :lol:
Old 05-16-2011, 09:46 AM

I love this discussion. My boss says we need to shoot the squirrels and have them for lunch. i like to watch them. Mine are picky eaters. They do not like the bird seed type food or corn. They will take it or leave the peanuts behind with the shells. Boy they were making a mess, the boys were. My old momma squirrel was more grateful and would be sure the shells fell to the gravel, not on the porch. She got killed and we had to rescue her babies from a wire spool on the top rung. They all survived and released into the wild. We now have another momma and she has babies, have not found her nest, but watching to be sure they survive. I know, crazy as it seems, the boss tolerates the squirrels better than the birds. One woodpecker put a hole in our warehouse and built a next in there. What a mess they make. The small chickadee type built a next in our job trailer. Had to clean that up. When I put out squirrel food, the birds come and eat it before the squirrels get there. My DH built me a squirrel feeder so the ugly crows would not eat their food. To me they are very entertaining and make my day at the office go much brighter. In fact, one day my old momma squirrel came into the office onto the file cabinet to get the food. Sat there and ate it then left. she was not afraid. When she was pregnant, she got on the railing to eat and leaned on the post for about 15 mintues taking a break. It was so adorable. I do not have the advantage of beautiful birds here so enjoy yours.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:26 PM

I would have love seeing your squirrels doing the falling game. We don't have any squirrels but have loads of birds that we feed year round. We love setting on the deck watching them.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:40 PM

I have a shepherd's hook with my birdfeeder on it , and I still have one squirrel that climbs up that skinny pole and gets on the birdfeeder!! Couldn't believe my eyes!!
Old 05-16-2011, 04:27 PM

That is brilliant about the slinky. I'm going shopping for some in the morning :)
Originally Posted by bookfare
Originally Posted by mommamac
I feel your pain - not only did we have problems with squirrels but the raccoons would visit at night! DH got a garden shepherd's crook and problem solved.
My bird feeders are on a shepherd's crook just like yours, found a squirrel-proof feeder online, and also suspended from the top of crook a "slinky", as squirrels just climbed up the post. Now t they stay away. Takes awhile to wind slinky around post, but worth it.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:33 PM

MaryAnn, I can identify with your problem having oak trees on your property. I live on Oakland Ave, named for all the oaks along the street, which is about three blocks long. I don't have a problem with the squirrels like you all do, but when I am driving along the street, they will run into the street in front of my car and stand there not knowing where to run. I stop and wait for them to decide which way to go. I think they are cute, but I feel for you all because they seem to be little pests.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:36 PM

I am glad you are fixing those darn guys. They were into my flat on and I ha to get a squirrel proof feeder for front and move the flat one to the back. Love all the pictures!
Old 05-16-2011, 04:56 PM

This is just cracking me up, love the icons before the squirrels, tell me how do you really feel!!! :lol:
Old 05-16-2011, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jim
One nice thing about my moving...The last house we had a ton of those so called " %$()=^&^() squirrels " you speak of. Now at the new house no squirrels...so happy about it
I think they moved to my house. They drive my cat nuts. :lol:
Old 05-16-2011, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by mhansen6
Looks interesting. We have two different kinds of squirrel proof feeders. One is called the Yankee Flipper. When an annimal is heavy enough it activates the mechanism and spins the base where the birds sits and sends the squirrel flying. Besides feeding the birds it is very entertaining.

We also have one that is more simple. The bases justs slides down and closes the holes where the feed is when an animal heavy enough gets on it. It really frustrates the squirrels. The top of the feeder is solid aluminum and it has teeth marks all over it from the squirrels trying to get into it.

Don't worry there is plenty for the squirrels to eat. We have so many pine trees. They have plenty of pine nuts to eat.
And here I thought a flying squirrel was a real creature. ;)