Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I get to buy a house!!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Scissorqueen, I just realized how perfect the timing is for you with the market the way it is!

Happy house hunting! I hope you find yourself a great sewing space ;-)

It's a wonderful blessing to be able to take the time to find the right house! Enjoy and good luck!

Lots of luck. Don't get to overwhelmed, or disappointed. The right one is out there.

EXCELLENT IDEA!!

Re-do---Excellent idea to check police department, go to area all hours of day or night, weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by anima57
    Re-do---Excellent idea to check police department, go to area all hours of day or night, weekends.
    That's tough to do when you're currently living 8 hours one way away.

yes, been there and did not do any kind of a check like that. bad decision on my part. big mistake. wwould have been worth it to get a cheap motel room overnight maybe a Friday night to saturday. would have saved me a ton of problems.

Boy, great time for buyers!!!! Congratulations, and like someone said, be sure to buy what YOU can afford, not what the bank says you can afford.

Blog Entries
    Look first off for the perfect room that will be your sewing room - with lots of storage, place for the stash, and everything to make YOU happy! Then look at the rest. :)

Blog Entries
    good luck, at 51, i bought my first with my dh of 3 yrs last may 6. it was my dream home since i was 12. we're not ever moving again. but we love it here. It's 1,000 sf condo, one level. ther's 866 units over 200 acres. with indoor/outdoor pool, jacuzzi, golf,tennis, bocci, clubhouse, movies, library (no computers though),dog walks, labrynth, bar cafe, card rooms, and parties every month. why would i want to leave???
    good luck, the fun begins now! enjoy the hunt

How exciting! Happy house hunting and congrats :D

Congrats and good luck!
    I cannot wait until we can get our Forever Home. Might have to wait until 2014 now :( :(

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
    I'll tell you what I told my kids to do.

First, go to that house and look at the neighborhood at all hours of the day and well into the night. Go there on weekends and listen and look at the kids.

THEN go to the police department and ask if that is a good neighborhood, and if they've had many calls from that area and what they were for. Drugs you don't want in your back yard, it will only get worse as time goes on.

Meet some of the neighbors BEFORE you sign any thing at all. Ask what they think of the neighborhood and would they buy there again.

Drive around several streets, look at how all the houses are being maintained.

Then when everything checks out, you can sign and move into your dream home.
    Good luck.
    also take a family member or a friend to point out all the now so good things...most of all take your time for every one you find just right there are 3 more better....

Good luck! Be sure to get a house with plenty of room for your sewing! :thumbup:

It definitely sounds like congratulations are in order! Buying a home is the best feeling......it will be YOURS! Good luck selecting your future home and please make sure you have a room JUST FOR FABRICS and SEWING!!!

Blog Entries
    That's tough to do when you're currently living 8 hours one way away.[/quote]
    ----------------------
    Have any friends there who will cruise by that spot now and then?

Also do some crime checking of the neighborhood. I forgot where it is, but there's a web site where you can tell if any crooks live near, especially child molesters. What shocked me was that there are 2 of them living only 3 or so blocks away from me. No kids home now but I warned my next door neighbors about these guys.

Blog Entries
    The town we're moving to is pretty small so I'm sure all the realtors are familiar with good and bad neighborhoods.
    ---------------------
    I hate to tell you this, but the realtors are in this for money and nothing else. Unless the realtor is your brother/sister, he/she is not working for YOU, but themselves and themselves only.
    And by state law there are a few things they must tell the prospective buyer, but I don't know what your state says. I'd suggest that you go online and find out what they must and what they do not have to tell you. Mold, murders, drugs, I don't know what they must tell you but it's in your own best interests to find out BEFORE signing on the dotted line.

And is it in a flood plane..is it in a spot that will or might have wild fires one day? Lots of things you have to find out first.

All this stuff I've heard from friends complaining bitterly of their own stupidity at not finding out what they should. One of them simply packed up last month and walked out of their house, let it go into foreclosure it was in that bad a condition when they bought it and can't do anything legally since it showed up past the date they could.

Congratulations !!! So excited for you!!

Lots of good tips above... keep in mind it's a good thing if the neighbors are calling in problems. Have seen first hand problems in "good" and "bad" areas. It's a Great time to buy, for the market!
    Happy Quilt Room Hunting :)

kbs
    You will have lots of fun, check the sewing room first.

Blog Entries
    Congrats!! We share so much sad news here on the board it is nice to share in the good as well!! Hope you find just the perfect house for you!

in hiding !! witness protection program LOL
    Good Luck and buy the one you truly like not love because after you are done redecorating, moving walls , painting new carpets etc.. it will be the home you love in the end !!

Congrats!!!

I'm so happy for you!

Congrats! That is great news! What fun that will be and what a great time for buyers!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast