Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: I get to buy a house!!

Quote Originally Posted by Katz13203
    I'm so happy for you!
    Katz...your kitty looks like my Zappycat! Cute! : )

Congratulations and have fun looking and picking. Nice BIG sewing room for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm green with envy.

may your home always be too small to hold all your friends!!!!

That is great news. Enjoy the hunt and hope you find the perfect dwelling.

Power Poster
    Oh good for you. Pick out a good one.

Blog Entries
    Wonderful! May I suggest when you look at houses take notes? We looked at so many and they all ran together after a while. Also don't forget to have any property inspected and you pick the inspector, don't go with one from the realtor (this is after you make an offer). And be there when the inspector does the inspection. He/she will say things that wouldn't make it into the report...and you can ask how long do you think the roof or water heater or stove or whatever will last.

Look for lots of electric outlets, closets, storage, no water in the basement, updated electric boxes not fuses but breakers, working appliances.

Try to leave yourself room for the unexpected. It is always nice to have extra money in case of emergency, and you will probably want to buy new furniture, etc unless you're downsizing.

Good hunting!

FANTASTIC...I hope you find the house of your dreams!

Great advice. I'm sure it will come in handy when I look for a new home. You all addressed things that I hadn't even thought of. Thanks again Quilting Board.

wow good for you-yes don't forget a sewing room

Quote Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
    The town we're moving to is pretty small so I'm sure all the realtors are familiar with good and bad neighborhoods.
    ---------------------
    I hate to tell you this, but the realtors are in this for money and nothing else. Unless the realtor is your brother/sister, he/she is not working for YOU, but themselves and themselves only.
    And by state law there are a few things they must tell the prospective buyer, but I don't know what your state says. I'd suggest that you go online and find out what they must and what they do not have to tell you. Mold, murders, drugs, I don't know what they must tell you but it's in your own best interests to find out BEFORE signing on the dotted line.

And is it in a flood plane..is it in a spot that will or might have wild fires one day? Lots of things you have to find out first.

All this stuff I've heard from friends complaining bitterly of their own stupidity at not finding out what they should. One of them simply packed up last month and walked out of their house, let it go into foreclosure it was in that bad a condition when they bought it and can't do anything legally since it showed up past the date they could.
    You're from California. It's almost a different country out here in the mid-west. The town is very small. It doesn't even have a Starbucks or a whole list of other common stores! The realtor has a reputation to uphold. In a town that small even one unhappy customer could ruin her career.

I'll bet the realtor I'm going to work with has been in every single house that's for sale in the whole town. It's that small. She'll know the neighborhoods. Drugs can be anywhere. Murders???? I don't know if the town even had one last year.

As to floods and wildfires, they're both pretty rare in Kansas. Once in a blue moon there will be a prairie fire but they're out on the prairie and at the most will hit the very edge of a small town.

Be sure to look for the space for your quilting!

Good for you. Just take your time and make sure you get what you want. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3