Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I give up, I'm not a gardener. >

I give up, I'm not a gardener.

I give up, I'm not a gardener.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:39 AM

[QUOTE=BellaBoo;6049726]Over the years I have planted plants that are suppose to be idiot proof, used Miracle Grow by the bags full and still have a lousy flower beds with no flowers. -
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd follow the suggestion to see what grows in your own neighborhood. And ask questions of older growers, most of
them delight in giving advice. And don't fertilize too much...my husband was a nurseryman and the only thing he did a LOT of was spread Epsom Salts all over the place a couple of times a year. This is a magnesium supplement, not a sodium. Makes everything from Tomatoes to my lemon tree grow better fruit. And flowers are now in bloom and I discovered that my Passion Plant has climbed up a wall and is massing on a phone line under the house eves, so I'll have to cut it all down, from the top of the fence to where it started crawling up the stucco wall.
I'm in the central valley of California, where we have a LONG growing season. I start tomatoes and then take cuttings from them and get more. Cut off the roots of all the onion family and replant them for a continuing supply of that kind.
Might work for lots of plants, haven't tried it only on the onion family, chives, leeks, etc.