Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I got an AARP card in the mail?????! >

I got an AARP card in the mail?????!

I got an AARP card in the mail?????!

Old 08-10-2009, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
their primary focus is on two things: (1) selling insurance; (2) pouring your money into politics without your knowledge or consent.

they will never see a dime from me.
Dh got one last year about the time he turned 50. We feel the same way. Into the trash it went!!!
Old 08-10-2009, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Lisanne
Sounds like you're right about them buying mailing lists, though I suspect they try to buy ones where the people on them are generally of the right age. Otherwise, I'd have been getting their ads for years.

Re discounts, I have AAA and haven't found their discounts to be so great. I've used them for hotels, but most hotels will give you a better discount for almost any other reason (low occupancy that night, being in the military - and they will sign you up for the duration of your stay if you're not, can't even think of all the alternate reasons that got bigger discounts than AAA). Some, when they are too full, feel they have the right to refuse the AAA discount. It does come in handy at tourist attractions. They have good discounts for online stores, but I rarely shop online.

While I'm ripping into AAA, I was very unhappy when I renewed this year. I buy the premium level plan, so I can be towed up to 100 miles if I need it. Not that I've ever needed to be towed more than 3 miles, and that only twice in all the years I've had AAA, but I'm paying the $100/year just in case. So I was really unhappy when the woman said, "That gives you up to four tows for the year." Huh? I'd thought it gave me unlimited tows for the year. Again, not that I expect to need it, but if that's all I get, maybe I won't bother renewing next year. Compare the cost of one tow every several years with yearly premiums. My car insurance includes tows for accidents, and my tires have some kind of inner structure so I can drive on them when they're flat. So maybe I wasted the $100...

AARP's premium is a lot cheaper.
I have to laugh. We had a couple years where we maxed out our towing allotment. Probably 3 in a row!!! Even rented a car trolly from U-Haul drove 65 miles to where my DH was with the car broken down, let him hook it up and we hauled the stupid car back home to be looked at by our mechanic. At the time we didn't have the longer range towing and we didn't want to leave the car that far away. We had a suburban to tow so I made the decision it was cheaper to rent the dolly and do it ourselves, that time.
We now have the premium membership and havn't had to have a car towed in a long time, oh maybe a year or so ago, dd was driving suburban in San Diego and she had to have it towed, any way, We still have had to call them for flat tires, jump starts and a few other things.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:31 PM

I love your idea about towing it yourself via U-Haul.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:58 AM

I have belonged since I turned 50..and that has been a year or two .......
(times 10 or more !!!!!) and we have been very pleased with them.

We now have them as our supplemental health care and we couldn't be happier.

But as the saying goes........to each his own.........

MJ in NJ
Old 08-13-2009, 05:04 AM

I noticed in your signature and wanted to say.........

congratulations on having a wonderful daughter and son........we thank them both for doing what the are doing for all the country. You should be proud as a peacock........

I know that I was also so proud of my son who served in the Navy.......

don't you just love these kids.....

MJ in NJ
Old 08-13-2009, 05:05 AM

that last note was to Jim's Gem about her children...sorry, forgot to mention your name....
Old 08-16-2009, 08:32 AM

I have belonged to AARP for a while. I joined because my folks had their supplemental insurance through them.. then when my dad had a couple of heart attacks no one would insure him.. except AARP.. the insurance was reasonable and my folks paid very little in co-pays throughout the rest of his life.. they also have reasonable auto insurance for seniors. Good enough reason for me. They do do a lot of lobbying for seniors which I think is good.
The funniest part is.. you can get a card for discounts etc for spouses or even "roommates" regardless of their ages.. I got an AARP card for my 34 year old roommate... it was a HOOT watching him open it!!