Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I got chosen..

for Jury Duty this week - or, rather - I have to report on Tuesday to see if I will be picked to serve. It has been over 12 years since I've received my last jury summons.

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    Wow I've never been asked.

It could be interesting :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by Cyn
    Wow I've never been asked.

I got called every year for 10 years. I haven't heard from them for 2 years, maybe they think I moved.

Blog Entries
    I've been on several, but here when you get to the big seven 0, then you can opt out of being called. I went to the court house and showed them my hearing aid and explained that not hearing very well made me more irritable than usual and I didn't think I could handle seeing crooks walking free!!!!
    She immediately crossed my name from her computer, and I think I heard her giggling as I left.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
    I've been on several, but here when you get to the big seven 0, then you can opt out of being called. I went to the court house and showed them my hearing aid and explained that not hearing very well made me more irritable than usual and I didn't think I could handle seeing crooks walking free!!!!
    She immediately crossed my name from her computer, and I think I heard her giggling as I left.
    Ha ha, I like that one!

Last one I served on was regarding a 50 plus car pile up and an insurance company was trying to blame 1 person for the whole thing and make him pay for damages & hospital bills. Problem was he was back in like car 32... Never made any sense to me. We finally found him not responsible for the damages after 2 days of deliberation. Glad I did not end up on the other jury seated that day. They ended up on a really nasty murder trial that sequestered for a long time. Roll of the dice but without them our legal system doesn't work.

Blog Entries
    good luck

I'm suppose to be going to see my Brother on Thursday (10 hours away) so if I get chosen I won't be able to go - but I want to serve because I find it interesting.

I'm just waiting to see what I get to do.

I always feel that it is my civic duty to serve on jury duty....but one year I got called 3 times....only had to serve once...but that was a bit much. I thought, can't they spread it around a little bit?

I was summoned the last three weeks of December through the first week of January. Talk about a pain - being "available" at holiday time! Turns out it was a good time because there weren't any trials but I wasn't happy about the possible interruption to my holiday plans.

I get called constantly. Hope your service is uneventful.

Once had the most insulting trial from Hell. The majority of my fellow jurors thought it was okay for the defendant to beat his girlfriend because she was "so annoying." That was the defense's stance as well. If she had been physically attractive, we might have found him guilty.

I generally think most humans have some good sense hidden deep inside of them... and, then I serve on a jury. 80o Don't commit any crimes, folks.

Blog Entries
    Good Luck, my step daughter just went and did a total of 5 weeks!! I know we have to do it but sometimes it sure is tough

They are a bummer for sure!

When you're called down here, you have to go and sit in the jury room for hours one day a week for about 6 wks to see if you are chosen.

One time I was 8 months PG and told them I had to go to the bathroom every couple hours at the longest and that didn't get me excused...Later that year I got called again and took my son with who was nursing still...now that one did get me excused...wonder why???

I have lived in 4 states and have never been called-and no I don't gave a record or anything. Yet some of you have been called many times, now how does that make sense?

Wow some of you have been called a lot. I was only ever called once and was away in the Army at the time. My mother took them a copy of my orders or id or something and they excused me. I am 46, and have been a registered voter since 18. Guess I'm lucky!

I've been notified many times, but had to serve only once. I hope that is my lifelong civic duty.

Blog Entries
    I get called every year and I think this is very odd as I am a Canadian and they are told every year...ALSO they are sent DR. medical documents that I am brain damaged with severe PTSD
    BUT every year they want me on jury duty...
    Maybe they should spend money on updating their system.

Quote Originally Posted by kriscraft99
    for Jury Duty this week - or, rather - I have to report on Tuesday to see if I will be picked to serve. It has been over 12 years since I've received my last jury summons.
    My husband has been chosen and must appear on March 7th for two weeks. He has only been chosen once before and then they had too many jurors and dismissed him. He is retired and would like to see what it is like. NOT ME! Been there twice and that is enough!!

Been called once, got picked. Drug bust with a Pastors daughter.Really sad. We found her guilty.

I haven't been called. Could it be that I used to work for the Parole Board and for the Department of Corrections?

I know it's my civic duty, but I hate it when I'm called.

Blog Entries
    I have never been called, but with my MCS I wouldn't be able to serve anyway. My husband was called one time, but he was having back problems and seeing a chiropracter and couldn't sit for any length of time so he was excused.

I have been called twice and had a letter from my Doctor saying I can't sit for more than 30 minutes or I experience terrible pain in my back and legs and I even told them I was on strong pain meds and they still wouldn't let me out so I just kept getting up every 15 minutes in the waiting room and walking around with my cane they finally let me go home. My husband was called but he was dismissed because his brother was an attorney in the same city

I've been called several times, never served. Kris that will cut into your sewing time....lol

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast