As I Grow Older

Old 08-03-2017, 08:50 AM
Power Poster

Default As I Grow Older

I find that I have to space things out in order not to get overly tired. I have been wanting to make chocolate chip cookies for some time, but it is nearly an all day thing. Last night, I hit on the idea of mixing the dry ingredients and just stopping there. Today I mixed the dough and put the little balls of dough onto a large tray lined with parchment paper. I have just put it into the refrigerator, and tomorrow I will bake. I have to wait a bit longer to get cookies but maybe I will appreciate them more.

I just thought I would share that with anyone who has a tendency to tire easily, the way I do.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:41 AM

I do something like that with my zucchini bread, because of the supply from the summer garden. I measure out all the dry ingd. except sugar. Put into 6 different bowls. When time comes to make the bread, about 2 times a week, I just have to reach for a bowl of dry ingds. Makes the baking for the day go faster.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:33 AM
Power Poster

i do that more and more with all of my projects... it also keeps the stress level lower
Old 08-03-2017, 10:45 AM

quilts are big projects that often get done in sections. when I leave them I tag a note saying last step done and the next step to do. Then I can relax and forget about it until I pick it up again.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:01 AM

I mix mine, roll them in ball, put on paper and cooking sheet and put in freezer. Next day I put them in a bag and back in freezer. When I want a few cookies, I take out what I want and bake them. If I just bake a few, I just eat a few, lol.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:02 AM

Oh yes, sounds like me. It used to take one day to clean the house - now it takes more than a week!
Old 08-03-2017, 01:13 PM
Power Poster

Yep,I even do quilting in stages. Great to know I"m not alone.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:07 PM
Power Poster

Good strategy ... do what works for you!

There are lots of "Jar Mixes" whereby you put all the dry ingredients in a mason jar, ready for when baking time comes. What I do is make up a bunch of them at a time. A good sit-down job. Then when baking time comes, I don't have to find the time to do all the measuring.

For your cookie balls .... you can also make them, as you did today, and put them in the freezer. Once frozen, then into a plastic container or bag, until you bake them. Then just put the frozen dough balls onto your cookie sheet, and bake. Another job that can be mostly done as s sit-down, once the dough is made.

You can also freeze the dough ... though you need to plan ahead to let it thaw , and then the scooping, can be a tiring job too. I actually prefer the frozen balls .... as then baking is a breeze!
Old 08-03-2017, 02:45 PM
Power Poster

So far I can still make a double batch of cookies same as before. Who knows when the time will come for me to break it up into steps.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:32 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
So far I can still make a double batch of cookies same as before. Who knows when the time will come for me to break it up into steps.
Sometimes it is not being able to ... sometimes it is a matter of time!
Or just general convenience.

When I do my jar mixes, I might spend as much time or even more than I would if making batch of cookies, or even a double batch. But there are times I just clearly do not have the time, and to have the mixes ready or the frozen dough balls ready to go .... I can make "fresh" cookies without any time or effort!