I have Bees - HELP

Old 06-09-2015, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

I agree with all the post. Call a professional that will not kill them. There has been a virus of some kind running thru our bee population. There are areas I believe in Korea or China where the bees went instinct and humans need to NOW pollinate the plants. It is not difficult to tell a bee from a yellow jacket.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:25 AM

Here in Illinois..last year my dUghter had a hive in a tree in her yard...afraid the kids would disturb it and get attacked, her father in law had a relative who was a bee keeper so they came, took hive and all bees to his property and they are thriving!
Old 06-09-2015, 03:57 PM

Please come back and tell us what happens to get the end of the story.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:50 PM
Power Poster

also in California, I heard that the killer bees are breading with honey bees, so please be careful.

let us know what you do and what happens. Bees are a major necessity to our well being.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:39 AM

My daughter just started bee keeping and would love to have a hive come on her property.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:39 AM

this is going to sound funny but get a brown paper bag and fill it with plastic shopping bags, tie the top and hang it to the porch. It will look like a nest and the bees will leave and not come back they think the bag is a nest from another bee. this does work my daughter had the same problem
Old 06-11-2015, 07:35 AM

I live in southern CA and have had bees twice. I called a beekeeper to remove them both times, but the hives were Africanized. The first time, they had gotten beneath the roof on my second floor above my stairwell. By the time I discovered they were there, they had extensive honeycombs inside the walls. I had to rip part of my roof and siding off to remove the combs--which you MUST do or regret when it starts melting due to no longer having drones wings moving cool air over them. The bees were so aggressive the beekeeper had to kill them. He took some samples to UC Riverside to confirm that they were Africanized. That was an expensive experience overall. The next time, I notice a few bees following a regular pattern and trying to set up a hive in my porch. That time he was able to collect the live bees (which were also Africanized, but not in such a tough place to get to) and move them. He told me that an Africanized hive can be made into a non-Africanized group by replacing the queen bee with a non-A queen. Within a month, it will be non-Africanized as the drones only live a few weeks and their replacements are from the new queen.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:51 PM

Please keep us posted , I worry about the welfare of the honey bee and am always happy to see when someone calls a beekeeper and not spray or use traps that kill them
Old 06-16-2015, 09:48 PM

Call your local Extension Service. They should be able to help you. They may have a list of beekeepers that are willing to collect honey bees. You need to determine if they are Honey bees, not yellow jackets or other wasps too.
http://ucanr.edu/County_Offices/