Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I have corrupted my DH (or so he says) >

I have corrupted my DH (or so he says)

I have corrupted my DH (or so he says)

Old 12-03-2011, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by hrtireladie11185 View Post
For those of you who remember, this past 4th of July weekend, I got dh into quilting. Well, tonight, he says, "you're sorry. It's all your fault" and I am just laughing up a storm. I have to tell you why.

A couple of months ago, we ran into his friend and his friend's wife. As we were talking, it came up that dh started quilting. Well, little did we know, the friend's wife works at a local sewing factory. She suggested that dh apply at her work. Dh became interested until she mentioned that they work with sergers. Dh and I have no experience on a serger. We looked at a few sergers days and weeks later and decided not to invest.

This past Saturday I was looking in the newspaper for an ad that was supposed to run for a local organization I volunteer for the last 8 years. Lo and behold, there was an help want ad for a sewer at the sewing factory. I mentioned it to dh. He said he would go and check it out. Tuesday was his interview with a sewing test on 1 needle, 3 needle and 5 needle machines. He has never sewn on anything other than a small brother home sewing machine much less these huge commercial sewing machines. He did great!

And . . . . . .

Today was dh's first day of work at the sewing factory. He keeps stopping the tv as we are watching "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" to tell me, "You're sorry." "It's all your fault." "You corrupted me." "What other things are you going to get me into?" "You took my manliness away."

He enjoys it and likes the group of ladies he is working with in his department.

Thanks for letting me share.

btw - He has been a truck driver (local and over the road) for over 15 years.
Great story....there was an article in the local Atlanta Journal Constitution a couple of years ago about long distance truck drivers that are quilters also....they take their machine with them on the road. At that moment I wasn't into quilting but I cut the article out and took it to my then job and gave it to our truck driver.....he found it amusing ....of course he wasn't interested but I would often ask how his quilt was coming !!!!

I have a friend that is a flight attendant and she often takes her sewing machine on trips with her in order to sew during layovers.

wish I could find a job in a sewing factory........sort of like throwing me in the brier patch !
Old 12-03-2011, 06:25 AM

DH should be THANKING you for bring him in from the DARK SIDE.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:39 AM

Congrats. on the new job! He is diversifying his worldly experiences.... That is really great. If he is anything like my husband, he will probably do a better job than the women. I have not converted my DH yet... but he is sure my biggest critic... he has a great eye and can find my mistakes in one second flat! Some I can fix.... others I can't but he makes me fix what I can. Sometimes I'm almost afraid to ask his opinion on somethings because it usually ends up making more work for myself. LOL Got to Love Them.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:39 AM

Great for him. Definitely a change from truck driving. Glad to hear he likes his new job. I had also read about the truck driving quilters article that Honeynga mentioned.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:22 PM

Great story...now he will be home more..Good-bye lonely road...
Old 12-03-2011, 03:14 PM

awesome and congratulations!
Old 12-03-2011, 06:57 PM

Glad he wasn't put off by the challenge - it is just another string to his bow. My dad was an engineer and when he became a very good cook he maintained it was part of his journey toward becoming the'quintessential man'...So there you are: Hats off to your quintessential man.What do they make at the factory?
Old 12-04-2011, 06:03 PM

Wonderful that he has a job that he likes!! I'll bet the women love him!!!!!
Old 12-04-2011, 07:37 PM

Default Update for You All! Sorry So Long

Hi, Everyone:

Sorry I haven't been around. Between working on projects for work's christmas party which was last night and today's christmas home tour for my volunteer group, I have been extremely busy.

Dh has given me back my sewing machine (which was only 2 days old when he took it from me back in July) just like SunlitenSmiles said. He has declared that he will not sew at home until he can get a machine just as fast and good as the ones at work. Also, he has become very picky. He now has to have his own scissors, seam ripper and a pair of metal gloves for work. He says that the ones at work are dull and he needs his own.

Ok, jitkaau asked what they make at the factory. I have been waiting to tell you all this but did not know how some of you would take it. In our town, the factory is known as the "panty factory". Yes, the "panty factory". A lot of people here in town do not know the real name of the company only as the "panty factory".

They have several departments. One makes little girls undergarments and dresses. The other makes jackets, overalls, fire suits, etc. These are not your ordinary clothing. Most are for oilfield and fire resistent. I think Dh said one pair of overalls cost over $450. Dh says that he has not seen any panties floating around yet - lol. He is really enjoying himself. He did say that a little girl's dress would cost $4 with his discount. He learned to cut yesterday hence the metal gloves he wants. Before yesterday, he would not cut his fabric here at home. He likes jelly rolls and charm packs because they are already cut. The girls at our local quilt shop call him their male stripper.

Lisann, I guess I didn't corrupt him then. He has been unemployed for over a year and a half (by choice). He was helping me at home (house husband) as well as taking care of my Dad whenever he comes to visit for a week and a half to two weeks at time every two to three weeks. Dad had a stroke in January and mini seizures up until July. He has made a full recovery. Dh used to have Dad ride with him over the road so they have grown really close over the years.

Dh had been wanting to get a job lately but did not want to go back to truck driving. I, personally, did not want him to go back to work. He was a God send helping out with errands, house work, cooking and most of all, driving cancer patients to and from their treatments for the American Cancer Society. I knew that I couldn't keep him from working. I was just holding on as long as I could.

I am really happy for him. Thanks for all the congratulations! I read him all of your comments this evening. It really made his day.

Thanks, Everyone.

Nicole.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:19 PM

Congrats to hubby!
I worked on and off in a few sewing factories throughout my life. Actually my first job was in a shirt factory when I was 16 years old. Love those commercial machines! You learn to sew fast and accurate. It's also hard work on a production line!
I went on to be a nurse, but honestly I missed those years in a sewing factory.
The downside to that is with my quilting, I still tend to want to speed-sew on my quilts which can prove to be a problem.