Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I have couple of questions pls (different subjects though) >

I have couple of questions pls (different subjects though)

I have couple of questions pls (different subjects though)

Old 10-09-2013, 02:51 PM

Default I have couple of questions pls (different subjects though)

Sorry but didn't want to post several threads for each of my questions so here it goes:

1- For those who were following my thread about buying a hello kitty for my daughter I got her the Janome 10750 and we both love it (she even sewed scraps of charms last night to try it and it sews beautifully), so now to put it to good use she want to sew for a charity (start with sewing pillows) to get community service hours on top of her volunteering at a local hospital and an elementary school three days a week. Can we get her hours signed off by a charity for doing that?

2- She want to learn how to sew garments and wants to start with a very simple dress. What is the easiest way to learn that? Bear in mind I don't sew anything besides quilts so I can't help her in that category and it is not even an interest to me.

Thanks in advance for any ides I can get.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:56 PM

It's been awhile since I did any garment sewing, but you can get those "easy" patterns for so many things. And even though you have never done garment sewing, I am sure the both of you can follow the directions in the patterns. I say just have her pick out one of those "easy" patterns, something that appeals to her, and go for it!
Old 10-09-2013, 03:04 PM

Try to pick out a simple dress or jumper without a zipper. Save that for a little more experience.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:09 PM

I would have her start with a skirt (very easy) or something a little simpler than a dress. That way she (or both of you) can get some practice reading patterns and cutting out the pieces. She would also get some practice sewing darts and finishing seams and putting in a zipper. Skirts are pretty easy and good practice. She'll build her confidence before getting to that dress.

Two books I would recommend: Stitch by Stitch by Deborah Moebes (sewing lessons for the beginner, with projets designed to build skills one at a time; The Colette Sewing Handbook by Sarai Mitnick (really great book for beginning garment sewing). I'm not sure how old your daughter is, but these books are great for beginners and if the patterns are too adult, you can always apply them to a younger person's pattern.

Hope this helps!
Old 10-09-2013, 03:27 PM

Sometimes sewing machine dealers will have sewing lessons available to their customers. Check with them too.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:02 PM
Power Poster

How about making something with fleece? It is on sale now at almost 60 percent off and very simple to sew with. There are some cute jackets or p j bottoms with very little sewing to them. Or maybe a pillow for her bed?

The thing is it is warm and here comes winter.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:16 PM

McCall's/Butterick and Simplicity both have sections of super easy patterns for beginners. One has patterns from Project Runway. There are tunic patterns with just a facing, skirts with elastic, and there might be a woven slipover for beachwear coverup.

Good for your daughter.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:20 PM
Power Poster

What about you tube to show simple construction to go along with a pattern. I took sewing a hundred years ago but still need a refresher on some things
Old 10-09-2013, 04:39 PM

Contact the charity you want to contribute to and ask what would be needed for them to sign off on the hours. I think they will do that if they are the recipients of the items you daughter made. She'll need to document her hours, but that's easy.

JoAnne's has pattern books and patterns displayed. I think Hobby Lobby has patterns, too. Wonderful that your daughter is interested in sewing! :-)
Old 10-09-2013, 05:25 PM

Sew4home gypsy romance skirt it is all rotary cut and super cute keep her sewing that machine will last along time