Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I have to many sewing machines

Blog Entries

I have to many sewing machines

Well it is true. At last count I had 13. Well since then I have given 3 away and bought more. I once heard it is bad luck to count them. Well I am going to a retreat and wanted to take my FW but wanted a zig zag feature. But didn't wanted a heavy machine. So what was I to do. The auction had a fold out sewing singer tool caddy and a 301A in the original case and all the feet for $120.00. The weight was lighter than I expected. There was one like it on ebay for $200. So I guess it will be okay.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-22-2013 at 06:06 PM.

Did have 12 machines but gave a lightweight Janome to my 7 yr. nephew because he wanted to learn to sew by making a camo vest! So now I have 11! But who's counting, eh? Other than that, I seem to have a hard time letting any of them go! Love them all and one doesn't have a motor (Singer Spartan) and one a green Singer and is pretty beaten up but sews beautifully...

Blog Entries
    You certainly have started a collection! At the present time, I have 5 sewing machines, 3 of them Singers. The others are Janome and Kenmore. Then there's the embroidery machine (a Brother) I have stored in it's carrying case because the newest Singer also does embroidery. And I still claim the Brother CS-770 I left at mom's in exchange for my grandmothers Singer 413. I will get it back when she no longer needs it.

Happy Quilting!
    Pat H
    Carencro LA

I sew understand your dilema. I have 3 sergers, 3 pfaff 130's, Bernina 830 record, Elna Air electronic, another Elna that came with a cabinet, brother 2500D, 15" Bailey, oh and my pfaff 130-115 treadle, but what do I eliminate?
    I can't bear to part with any of them, except the Elna that I don't care for. It isn't a popular model so it wouldn't go for much.

I do understand I have 22 machines and thinking of buying another. It is like quilting I just can not seem to get enough!!!!

I don't feel so bad now as I only have 5 machines. I don't have room for any more.LOL

As we are sharing the love of the collection.....I do have a problem. My space in my sewing room is limited. Not complaining mind you. I do love my space. But I don't love that I can only have two machines out at once. I have four machines that sit in there cases because of lack of room to set them up. This makes me feel bad. I want to use them all on a regular basis. I see others I would love to bring home, but nope...no room. Ok, so the day will come when every bedroom doesn't have a occupant in it. Then my friends the machines are comming out.....ahhhhh, kinda felt good thinking about it.

Do I understand you to say that you want a machine w zz feature to take to the retreat? If so, a Singer 301 is a straight stitch only machine. It's a great little machine, nice and light to take to classes, etc. but won't zz.

Oh my! I have only 1 sewing machine and only 1 serger. Need to tell DH I am deprived!!!

Oh my- I'm suppose to have 13 machines that work.

5 machines only 3 work.
    Guess I better let DH know the rules for being a quilter.

Eleven here, was at a yard sale and they had a couple of older machines at a great price, but dh would kill me if I brought home any more machines, plus I have absolutely NO room for more. LOL

Blog Entries
    Well I guess I have a few machines two old singer tredles, one quilt designer 11 and on Topas 30 sewing and embroidery one light weight janome gem, and recently acquired a nustyle quilting machine with 12 ft table . Like you all would not want to get rid of any.

Blog Entries
    I was just pondering on the exact thing this week! I have 14 machines but only have room for 3 to be set up in sewing room; although I do have 1 set up in my bedroom and 1 on my kitchen table! LOL I really am going to thin the herd and sell a couple. When I sell them, I'm going to use the $$ to put more storage space since the room is small room and I need to organize it but want to put up crown molding and repaint. So maybe this will be a good trade-off. LOL

Well we all have our vices don't we?? I gave away five machines and still have over a dozen...just love them all!

Quote Originally Posted by skothing View Post
    Well it is true. At last count I had 13. Well since then I have given 3 away and bought more. I once heard it is bad luck to count them. Well I am going to a retreat and wanted to take my FW but wanted a zig zag feature. But didn't wanted a heavy machine. So what was I to do. The auction had a fold out sewing singer tool caddy and a 301A in the original case and all the feet for $120.00. The weight was lighter than I expected. There was one like it on ebay for $200. So I guess it will be okay.
    That's not too many.Who told you that?They were mistaken.I think I have around 50.So,I am approaching the magic number.75!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    LOL and I only have 4 sewing machines and one serger. Hey its a start !LOL 1-Pfaff 2 Bothers and 1-Necchi and one pink serger !LOL
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Oh no! This discussion compelled me to go count my machines... there are 13 including my two sergers! Last time I counted it was only 8. I think they are multiplying!
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 17 Album of Blocks I Made for Others http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19654.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    LOL Oh my, I don't have any answer to that. I guess I see my 4 children selling all this stuff for a quarter at a garage sell. I just finished cleaning the 301 A. I wish I knew who the lady was that had this machine. I could tell she cared for it and used it for clothing construction. I wander, what did she make on it , did she make her children's clothes? She wasn't a quilter. But what did she do.? I found all her notions. Construction stuff for clothing. I love this machine. It has the Zig zag box with the foot and all the feet for ruffling hemming and the all important 1/4 foot.

Quote Originally Posted by sherryl1 View Post
    That's not too many.Who told you that?They were mistaken.I think I have around 50.So,I am approaching the magic number.75!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talking

I quess collecting sewing machines and fabric is like an addiction, like hoarding. So what do you call those people? A quilter!!

Good deal on the 301 !

Several years ago I decided to quit counting things I no longer count quilts finished, quilt tops waiting for quilting, UFO's sitting waiting patiently for attention, or machines that desire to have the privilege to sew for me. That includes a serger and several hand cranks, 2 treadles and well that's why I quit counting. Just remember if one quits there are always others waiting in the wings to take over that #1 spot.

sap
    I've lost count. 3 hand cranks, 3 treadles, 3 electronics, 3 featherweights, 5 big sisters to the fw's, 10 off brands (clones) and I haven't counted all the singers yet. just love them.

Senior Member Quilter Day-by-Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well I have to say I'm with everybody I was asked the other day how many did I have now..Well I counted them up I had 14 and 1 serger. I gave 1 tomy daughter that is finally wanting to sew at the age of 31 now that shes married. I just picked up a Singer 201-2 1947 for 40.00 I saw it at salvation army and walked away and left but when I told DH he said why didn't you buy it ? So when we went back into to town we went and looked at it and he said stay here by it and I'll go pay for it. So that made me 14 but I have two that I'm going to try and sell because I bought a cabinet and it had a machine in it like one I already have . Can anybody tell me anything about this machine.
    Quilting is an addiction that you can be proud of and enjoy.
    Elna TSP,Kenmore,Singer Futura,Singer Red Eye x2,Singer 66,White Rotary Treadles x2, Montgomery Wards, Janome 10000,Singer 201-2 1947,Juki serger, Black 1947 Featherweight. Singer 301a 1951, Parlor Cabinet Treadle w/ White.
    Deb

Blog Entries
    My mom has 23 most of which are singers, plus she has a long quilting machine and binding machine. She has got me started collecting them too and I have 5 which are all singers plus a industrial 9 needle embrodiery machine.

Well I wrote a long post but I don't see it. Will try again later.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast