Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I love the 4th of July but it is going to be a looong weekend! >

I love the 4th of July but it is going to be a looong weekend!

I love the 4th of July but it is going to be a looong weekend!

Old 07-02-2011, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I finally coax Molly out the door, then she hears a firecracker, and she hustles her little poodle hiney right back to the door. Then it is several hours before I can try again...

How many of you have dogs that really hate or are afraid of the fireworks? What do you do?

I finally give up... I am on my way to the store in the morning to get Children's Benadryl. It is worth a try.
Poor Molly. It probably hurts her ears. Onyx barks everytime a firework goes off and they have been doing it for two weeks now -- we are waiting for them to use all of them. Last night they were not quite as loud, they are probably saving the big ones for Monday. It will all be over soon. They just made it legal to sell fireworks in Kentucky and a tent is pitched selling them every few miles.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:49 AM

3 we had were terribly afraid we had to get meds from vet and give them otherwise I wouldn't have a house left!!!!
Old 07-02-2011, 05:51 AM

Our Border Collie does not care for thunder/gun shots/fireworks. When it is stormy and we are not home, he hides behind our big gas grill (with the big cover on it)...gets between it and the house. We think he thinks that since he can't see past the grill...the thunder won't get him.

We always make sure we are home on the 4th of July as the community fireworks are set off at the HS football stadium which is just across the road and 1/4 mile to the west of us. We ALWAYS bring him in to our utility room...run a fan...and he is happy. We bring him in when it is thundering or the neighbors are doing target practice, as well.

People around us have been setting off fireworks for several evenings now and I imagine they will be tonight, as well. We will be going to DS and DIL's for a cookout this evening but we will go ahead and put Sky in the house for the evening.

As for a dog not being human...he was in one of our barns about 3 years ago when the barn went down during a terrible storm (no, they didn't say it was a tornado but we think it was). We were so concerned that he did not survive...were out there right away looking for him. DH had been in the barn and had just gotten in the house when it went down. We found Sky...hiding underneath a tractor that was literally covered with lumber from the hayloft. From that point on, he has been terrified of storms. It would be enough to scare me, too!
Old 07-02-2011, 05:58 AM

I wish they would make it illegal to sell fireworks all over, with the dry spell some have had it's a real fire danger as well as how it affects pets.
My little one jumps up on me - 20 pounds when you are not expecting it on your stomach is not fun. She shakes too, sad.
People get careless and don't care.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:05 AM

Opposite situation here. When my dogs, all Labrador Retrievers, hear the fireworks boom they think it is time to go hunting! Don't hear much booming going on though. In prior years the booming would start a few days before the 4th and on the 4th it was like a war going on around us. I have only heard a few booms so far. I think that is due to the poor economy. People just don't have the money to blow up.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

Aaaahhh poor doggie. I hope the Benadryl helps.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:18 AM

I went to the health food store and got a homeopathic remedy. It's called rescue remedy....give it to my dog for thunderstorms and fireworks. Works like a charm for my sweetie.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:27 AM

my neigbor that lives behind me is setting off fireworks tonight I have 2 horses and there 7 horses in the pasture next me and 5 across the lane, last year the horses RAN for almost 2 hours I had to go and ask them to please STOP. This year they they are doing it again THEY want me to do something with my horses! I called the state police and they said if he has a permit he can do this NO BODY CARES
Old 07-02-2011, 06:27 AM

The noise of firecrackers doesn't make my Devil Doggie bark anymore than any other noise, yet if a bug, bird, etc. flies around, she chases after their shadows on the cement pad in our enclosed yard and barks furiously because she can't "catch" them...lol...she always makes me laugh!!! Naomi
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 07-02-2011, 06:44 AM

I don’t know about the rest of you, but when I was a child I loved fireworks, and I still do. I have 3 dogs and the fireworks don’t seem to bother them at all. I don’t buy fireworks anymore because of money being so tight, but I do still enjoy celebrating the 4th of July and I am able to watch firework show from my front yard because the park is just a few blocks away and it’s awesome to be able to watch the children in the neighborhood having a great time. It only comes around once a year and I see no harm in people (not stupid people) enjoying celebrating the holiday. To each their own, that’s what great about the US freedom!!!! Sorry some of your pets get upset with them, but I think the people have the right to celebrate. Everyone have a great 4th and try not to be so cranky….LOL