Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I love the 4th of July but it is going to be a looong weekend! >

I love the 4th of July but it is going to be a looong weekend!

I love the 4th of July but it is going to be a looong weekend!

Old 07-02-2011, 07:29 AM

My poodle was afraid had to give her valum sp? and then she was loopy through the next day
Old 07-02-2011, 07:43 AM

We have 2 yellow labs - see my avatar. One is oblivious to fireworks, the other knows they will come about an hour before - don't ask me how - finds the farthest darkest corner of the house she can find and huddles there. She seems calm if she can just keep hiding, so after 10 years, we just check on her periodically and leave her in her 'safe space'. Why some dogs and not others? ummm
Old 07-02-2011, 08:10 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

4 dogs. one idiot and son across the street that start firecrackers 2 weeks before the 4th and OMG the display on the 4th is unrivaled! and we live in a city of less than 20,000. then the fireworks throughout the summer; on holidays. yea, 4 barking dogs and not a cop car in site.
Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I finally coax Molly out the door, then she hears a firecracker, and she hustles her little poodle hiney right back to the door. Then it is several hours before I can try again...

How many of you have dogs that really hate or are afraid of the fireworks? What do you do?

I finally give up... I am on my way to the store in the morning to get Children's Benadryl. It is worth a try.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lv2sew2011
I don’t know about the rest of you, but when I was a child I loved fireworks, and I still do. I have 3 dogs and the fireworks don’t seem to bother them at all. I don’t buy fireworks anymore because of money being so tight, but I do still enjoy celebrating the 4th of July and I am able to watch firework show from my front yard because the park is just a few blocks away and it’s awesome to be able to watch the children in the neighborhood having a great time. It only comes around once a year and I see no harm in people (not stupid people) enjoying celebrating the holiday. To each their own, that’s what great about the US freedom!!!! Sorry some of your pets get upset with them, but I think the people have the right to celebrate. Everyone have a great 4th and try not to be so cranky….LOL
I am not cranky. I think the real fireworks are pretty, but I don't see the point in firecrackers--and that is what has been scaring Molly for a week now. I simply would like to help her, so that she doesn't shake and panic everytime she hears them.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Lv2sew2011
I don’t know about the rest of you, but when I was a child I loved fireworks, and I still do. I have 3 dogs and the fireworks don’t seem to bother them at all. I don’t buy fireworks anymore because of money being so tight, but I do still enjoy celebrating the 4th of July and I am able to watch firework show from my front yard because the park is just a few blocks away and it’s awesome to be able to watch the children in the neighborhood having a great time. It only comes around once a year and I see no harm in people (not stupid people) enjoying celebrating the holiday. To each their own, that’s what great about the US freedom!!!! Sorry some of your pets get upset with them, but I think the people have the right to celebrate. Everyone have a great 4th and try not to be so cranky….LOL
I am not cranky. I think the real fireworks are pretty, but I don't see the point in firecrackers--and that is what has been scaring Molly for a week now. I simply would like to help her, so that she doesn't shake and panic everytime she hears them.
I am right there with you, sister! Its really not because I don't want people to enjoy themselves but it gets tiresome to hear them all night, night after night. I get tired of the mess on my street and I worry about all the drunk people shooting off fireworks that could set a house on fire (we live in a neighborhood, not out in the boonies). Last year on 2 occasions during the week my cars and driveway were covered with the confetti and crap that goes along with the fireworks. Seems like every year somewhere around here something goes up because a bottle rocket goes up on a roof or into a dead tree or something.

And I used to have a dog who was really scared too, and who could blame them. From his POV they were an unpredictable loud thing that he couldn't understand. "Tough love" can't take away fear from a truly terrified animal. Some dogs and breeds can be really "noise phobic" (and Border Collies are one) and its heartbreaking to see them spend a week hiding under the bed and being worried they will panic and run off.

I wish they would use them on July 4th only, then I would be more tolerant, I think.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:00 AM

I figure all the dogs here (4) will be safely locked in their kennels or in bed trying to get as close to me as they can. That isn't easy when two are aussies, one a jack russel mix and a pom.

I hate the 4th around here for this reason. Actually I would be the least bit surprised if that doesn't start tonight.

We had a neigbors pitbull clear a 4ft chainlink fence and run through our open slinding glass door to get away. Tubby is not a small pit bull. We had never met this dog before that night so to say the least we were shocked. Luckily Tubby is the sweetest dog ever and a big baby. He had gotten locked out accidently when they had let the dogs out to go. Luckily to my dogs like Tubby.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:11 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Sadiemae,
Do you watch the Dog Whisperer? I think his techniques are incredibly intuitive and successful. They'd be very helpful for you; poodles are smart, quick learners.

Jan in VA
Is he on Direct TV?
He is, on the National Geographic channel.

Jan in VA
Old 07-02-2011, 09:16 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
Tough love! Thats how I always deal with my dogs. They are an animal not a child, not even human! My dogs do what I want them to do NOT what they want to do when it comes to stuff like this. In situations like this your dog needs a calm leader, not a pitty feeling mom!
Amen. Thank you!!

Jan in VA
Old 07-02-2011, 02:23 PM

I had a German Shephard that did not like fireworks or guns. We lived out from town and had a lot of dove hunters in season. When they started shooting he would go around the house to find a door than was not shut well, push it open and come in the house. Having small kids there was always a door that didn't get shut completely. He was fine when he got in the house, he would lie down until it was all over.. One time my husband had a paper bag with bullets in it, and Prince sensed it and headed for the house.

I don't know if it is true, but I was told that dogs with floppy ears aren't bothered as much as dogs with ears up. My dog wasn't scared, he just didn't like the noise, maybe it hurt his ears. Actually, I don't like the noise either.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:36 PM

Our town has outlawed fireworks within the city limits so I haven't really heard much. Our 7 month old dog doesn't seem to be affected by the few that we have heard.