Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I made something other than a quilt! >

I made something other than a quilt!

I made something other than a quilt!

Old 05-06-2010, 05:41 AM

I started a thread yesterday about sewing clothes compared with quilting and asked if it was a whole lot harder. It is. :) This is a little pillowcase dress I put together for my daughter last night. I'm going to work on some stuff like this for a little bit before I tackle the vintage dress patterns I bought yesterday.

I have a quick question for you ladies who do a lot of clothes sewing; What is a good thread to use for bobbin and top? Cotton? Polyester? What weight?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-47808.jpe   attachment-47809.jpe  
Old 05-06-2010, 05:49 AM

OMG she is soooo cute.... oo the dress is pretty also but she is just adorable.. guess we know what you will be making more of!
Old 05-06-2010, 05:49 AM

That's a cute dress and an adorably beautiful child. I sew clothing also and I have never worried about the weight or type of thread. I use whatever I have that matches my fabric. I also seldom use patterns--it just takes so much time to pin them on, then take the pins out. But, I should mention that I used to use patterns and learned how to do that first. The clothing that I make is usually simple stuff like jumpers, peasant skirts, peasant blouses, tshirts, shorts, pants, etc. I did, however, last year make my dd a sheepskin coat. I didn't have a paper pattern but rather cut up an old sheepskin coat that was too small and used that for the pattern. I recently made a housecoat for my sister. What I do is take something that fits and use that for a pattern just by laying it out on the fabric (it's all in the folding) and that way I don't have to pin. I love to make clothing and find it just as easy, if not easier, than quilting.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:11 AM
Banned

Awwwwww how precious. I used to make my own clothes and always used COATS & CLARKE...... Whatever matched my fabric. You did a great job on the dress
Old 05-06-2010, 06:14 AM

I use whatever matches my fabric, but I would never use embroidery thread for the seams, only if you were doing an embroidery design on the dress.

Your daughter is precious and she absolutely loves her new dress! What did her daddy say when she showed it to him?
Old 05-06-2010, 06:16 AM

What a sweetie! :-D
The dress is adorable too. :thumbup:
Old 05-06-2010, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Bevanger
Awwwwww how precious. I used to make my own clothes and always used COATS & CLARKE...... Whatever matched my fabric. You did a great job on the dress
Same here...polyester thread has more stretch so it's good for clothing...I also used to make all my clothes.I made my GD's prom dress a few yeas ago....it was a bear but it turned out pretty. The problem is often with the pattern. I have had some that had instructions I had a hard time with.Fortunately I've sewn enough to wing it most of the time. The thing I have always hated to do is collars.......

Ditter
Old 05-06-2010, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

Aw, your daughter is adorable, and the dress turned out really nice too!
Old 05-06-2010, 06:26 AM

You picked a great starter project. Good job. Since you have such a willing little model, just pick up a couple patterns for simple sun dresses or shorts sets and make her a summer wardrobe. You'll have a blast, but be careful. Being caught sewing cute children's clothes often leads to requests from friends and family.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:32 AM

Great job! She is precious and looks so pleased to model her new dress!
I always seemed to use Coates and Clark for clothes, but now that I have found Metler and Guterman polyester, I would probably use that. But I would most like use poly.

I just got started on pillowcase dresses for the group Little Dresses for Africa. Very simple pattern. Check it out and if you have extra, it is a good cause.