Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: I need office/sewing space in Austin, Texas this summer!

I need office/sewing space in Austin, Texas this summer!

Hi, Fellow Quilters,

This is one of those "out there" questions and I don't suspect I'll have much luck, but you never know until you ask, right?

I'm a college professor in Ohio. My longtime fiance is a journalist in Austin, Texas (we're logistically challenged). I don't teach summers, so I'll be spending the summer with him in the lodestar state. Here's the thing: my visiting professorship at the college ends after next year and in order to qualify for a permanent job I NEED to finish my book (the old publish or perish thing will be my downfall, I swear…). In grad school, I discovered that sewing helped me concentrate (go figure!) and the way I work is to have my sewing machine (Juki 2010q, aka "Wilma") set up next to my writing stuff. I write 500 words, sew twenty minutes, etc. I get a lot more writing and sewing done that way. I'm working on a theory as to why it makes me more productive. I think it has something to do with exercising different parts of your brain (I worked at a bread bakery in graduate school).

Here's the problem: my fiancé has a roommate and a small apartment. When I spent time in Austin over the winter holiday, I tried working at his place but there were just too many distractions. A coffee shop wasn't any better (although I did get a lot of hand-piecing done). I think I'll be a lot more successful if I have my own work space over the summer. And, so, this is where I turn to you, dear quilters.

I'm looking to rent an office space this summer and here's what I'm hoping for:

1)
    A "furnished" office space (be it an actual office or a guest room or a corner in your basement). By "furnished," I really mean a desk or table and a chair. If there are bookshelves and/or a couple of other side tables too, great. I can provide a folding table, if necessary.

2)
    I don't need internet, but if it's there, great.

3)
    I'll probably get to Austin sometime in the first week of June and leave by August 15 (and we will likely take a weeklong trip to Montana in July). These hours are negotiable, but, ideally, I'd like access to the space M-F from 9-5. I probably won't always make it by 9 in the morning (especially on Fridays, when I ride with a bicycle group until noon-ish) and I definitely won't be there after 5 or 6 o'clock in the evening. I generally don't plan to use the space on weekends.

4) I'd like to leave my books and notes and Juki in the space during the summer, so as not to haul them back and forth every day.

5)
    I was hoping to pay about $200 a month for June and July and $100 for August, but I'm not sure how realistic that this.

6)
    If this is a room in your house and you're interested in a cup of tea in the afternoon (and some quilting talk), I would consider that a plus.

7) I don't smoke or play loud music; I have no pet allergies and I'm obscenely tidy (though, I have been known to utter the occasional profanity when my quilting drags). My current landlady is one of my closest friends (I didn't know her before I rented from her). She converted her large, Victorian home into two separate apartments; she lives in the front and I live in the back and I bet she will attest to my general sanity and good (usually clean) humor.

If you're interested or know of anyone in Austin who might be, let me know via this thread or a PM and we can go from there.

Thanks, kindly,
    Azita
    "All good things come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy." --Norman Maclean

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Oh, I wish you the best of luck finding just the right spot for the summer! Summers in Austin can be 'trying', to say the least, but how I wish I were back there right now that we're having our 4th or 5th snowfall of 2014!! I have a couple of local contacts that I well send this post to for you.

Best,
    Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Thanks so much, Jan! I spent last summer in Austin (and three in Tallahassee while finishing my doctorate), so I know exactly what you mean. I tell my fiancé that leaving Ohio in June for Austin shows how much I love him . We just a snowfall in Oberlin, Ohio last week too, so a little Texas sunshine would be nice right about now. I think I understand why Quiltcon is in Austin in February.

Thanks for sending this post along to your contacts!
    "All good things come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy." --Norman Maclean

Blog Entries
    I am doing a quilting class for a bunch of grandchildren this weekend in Austin, and will take a couple of copies of this post with me to show to my kinfolks while I am there, and if any of them show any interest, I'll PM you with information for you to contact them. Most of them live in Kyle, so if that is a problem, let me know and I won't bother. I understand I-35 traffic is horrendous now, and gets worse in the summertime.

Good luck in your little publishing venture--when we lived there I typed a student's thesis. Quite an all consuming part-time job; but we did it and she graduated with honors.
    Make every day count for something!

JoAnn

I would check with the rental agencies. Lots of empty office spaces in most towns now.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Dear JoAnn (quiltinglady),

That is so thoughtful of you! Thank you! My fiancé lives in Mariposa Heights, which is about twenty minutes or so from Kyle. I-35 is not my favorite, but it's not a deal breaker either (and twenty minutes or so seems a standard, if not GOOD commute these days).

Thanks again,
    Azita

Dear Onebyone,

That's a good suggestion. I didn't try that because I assumed rental companies would charge more than I could afford, but I think I will just check some out!

Best,
    Aso

Good luck on your search. I live in Houston and would love to have you but you probably don't want THAT commute!

Dear JanieH,

If only! I've only been to Houston once or twice, but loved it when I was there. We visited the Menil Collection and Rothko Chapel. So extraordinary.

Thanks for your kind wishes!
    Azita

You might consider placing an ad on Craigslist. It would give you a larger audience to find just the right place. Good luck!
    I'd rather be at the lake

Do one thing every day that scares you... Eleanor Roosevelt

Welcome to the Lonestar state! You've probably already thought of this, but if not, you might try contacting fellow professors at the University of Texas, some of whom may be away for the summer themselves, and be looking for a house sitter, and/or have a room they're willing to let.

My son lives in Austin and loves it. Refuses to move back to Houston. I'll ask him if he knows of any resources there to help.

Best wishes on your new adventure.
    Quilting makes me happy!..

Thanks for the welcome, mme! I actually sent a couple of missives to UT this afternoon. Maybe something will come up. And, thanks for sending the message, Butterflies! I don't know enough about either city to make a judgment, but they both have better restaurants than where I live in Ohio!

Blog Entries
    You may want to try a storage company. Here people rent them for all sorts of reasons and they come in all sizes

Hi, frog90. Never thought of that! Will look into it, but, for Texas in the summer, it better be air conditioned!

Quote Originally Posted by asabrinao View Post
    Hi, frog90. Never thought of that! Will look into it, but, for Texas in the summer, it better be air conditioned!
    You can get climate controlled storage facilities. A 10x10 used to cost about $100 a month. But no water and no bathroom facilities....except at the storage company itself, I guess; they probably have a public bathroom. Not sure I'd want to work in one with the big garage door closed, and certainly not with it standing open. On the other hand, you'd probably get lots of writing done!

I wonder if the college rents out their dorm rooms for cheap in the summer. The university near us does for participants in summer courses and institutes. Your significant other could find out for you.

Hmmm….that's a good point, mme3924. I drink a lot of tea when I work, so I'm not sure the port-a-potty at the USA Storage is going to cut it for me….

lots2do: another good suggestion. I know my college reserves their summer dorms space for summer camps and stuff, but UT is a much bigger school, so they might have extra space!

Uhal has climate controlled storage units. That's what i would look for. Also check for electrical outlets in them. You might want to be able to see what you are doing.:-) K

And another thought, there are two quilt guilds in the Austin area, Austin Area Quilt Guild (http://aaqg.org/) and the Chisholm Trail Quilt Guild (http://www.ctquiltguild.org/). Perhaps you could contact their memberships as another resource. Good luck (oh, and be prepared for some really hot weather here in central Texas). Betty

Quote Originally Posted by IrishNY View Post
    You might consider placing an ad on Craigslist. It would give you a larger audience to find just the right place. Good luck!
    Not sure if you're still looking. I'm just now coming across this. I was wondering how you ended up solving your problem. I'm about to run into the same issue and in doing some research I came across officelist? Has anyone ever heard of them and/or tried them? There are so many choices...I'm trying not to get overwhelmed but that's proven hard. If anyone has please let me know.