I need suggestions

Old 09-11-2010, 07:03 PM

I need a few ideas for a Fall Adult Church Social. We were going to do a hayride but they're booked up around here now I have to come up with some other idea for the fall. We don't like to spend a lot of money but like to have fun. Suggestions anyone?
Old 09-11-2010, 07:07 PM
bkb

pumpkin carving is fun....then donate pumpkins to nursing home
Old 09-11-2010, 07:10 PM

Aren't there any farmers in the congregation that could provide the trailer and hay and country roads to travel on? Or am I just in an area where that is so common nobody expects to 'book' a hayride?
Old 09-11-2010, 07:42 PM

How about a scavanger hunt? Instead of telling them exactly what they are looking for, you give them a riddle that they have to solve to know what the item is.

I did one one time that was 10 clues. Each clue led them to the spot where the next clue was hidden. The last clue led them to where the 'party' was. it was a lot of work making up the clues but it was a lot of fun. We staggered their leaving by 10 minutes. They had to bring a flashlight, a phonebook, a city map.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:55 PM

Do you have an historically restored building/house near by?
A tour there with ladies' luncheon might go well. Possibly one where the ladies and gentlemen dress up in 1800s styles and have high tea.

Folks I know love to dress up for luncheons. I found a picture where I'd gone to a ladies' luncheon wearing my aunt's 1930s dress (I'm 76 so it is not new) and everyone had to wear a hat, bought, old or home made.

Or tour historical houses, should you have any nearby. I've gone on tours and seen some lovely restored ones. Had luncheon in Victorian styled cafes/restaurants.

With weather uncertain in fall, perhaps some farm is near enough to visit with big barns or somewhere like that to stay in during bad weather and clean/neat enough to eat and have crafts from local people, or simply made by the church folks.
Or a party where you dress up like the founders of your church might have dressed in their day and time.

A songfest with the best of local musicians who might belong to this church.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:09 PM

How about a talent show? Maybe Charades?
Old 09-11-2010, 08:09 PM

We have had a fall party at our church for several years that the entire congregation is invited to. I think the adults look forward to it as much as the kids. We roast hot dogs over a fire, play horseshoes, games with a parachute, egg toss and have a hay ride. The party is not held at the church, but at a farm that belongs to one of the church members a creek runs through his property and we have rubber duck races. After dark the kids have trunk or treat and then smores.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:07 PM

and maybe dunking for apples?
Old 09-12-2010, 03:54 AM

Have a Harvest Party. A potluck and then a bunch of games for all age levels - harvest themed.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6
Aren't there any farmers in the congregation that could provide the trailer and hay and country roads to travel on? Or am I just in an area where that is so common nobody expects to 'book' a hayride?
Hay, balers and rack wagons are usually only owned by a few farmers. The take them around to other places and bale the hay for everyone. Speaking as the daughter of a farmer I can tell you that not everyone is willing to take the risks. With the accidents that can happen and the way so many people are so eager to file law suits it's a pretty hazardous thing anymore.

However, you could buy a few bales and use pick up trucks. Make sure you purchase straw and not hay though. We have a harvest festival at our church that includes a hayride, potluck, fellowship, singing and a little preaching. We have a big bonfire, the kids play on the swings and trampoline. I go to Micheals and buy those tubes that have 15 glow sticks in them. I get at least 10 or 12 of them because they're only $1 each. Everyone wears them on the hayride. There's a lot to be said for fellowship where everyone visits. Not everyone likes organized games.