I Remember when

Old 08-08-2011, 03:36 AM

I remember buying tax stamps in school.
Having to use (and refill) fountain pens in school. The school desk had a hole to hold the ink bottle.
Using white shoe polish on my $2 canvas gym shoes whenever the gym teacher said they needed to be washed. (no Nikes etc back then).
Getting dressed up with my mother (hat, gloves, good shoes, etc) and getting on a bus to go shopping downtown (no malls back then and mothers didn't drive or work outside the home).
Changing the ribbon in my typewriter at my first office job.
When the first blow dryer for hair came out. (Not the type of dryer with a hood).
Getting dishes, silverware, glasses, or towels inside detergent boxes or as bonuses for buying gas at certain gas stations PLUS they gave us Green or Yellow stamps with it.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:41 AM

I remember, licking the paper disk from the top of the milk bottle for the taste of sweet cream.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:43 AM

i remember palying out after dark with no fear of the boogy man. penny candy. homemade ice cream. yum yum ahhh good memories. thanks for this.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:09 AM

I remember so many of these. We always had Ice Cream Socials during the Summer at Church. Or just on our Street with the neighbors. Everyone would either make a freezer of homemade ice cream or baked a cake or pie to go with it. Such fun! We also walked for a couple of miles to go to the Library every week. We were always reading if we were not outside playing. I also remember mom getting glassware from boxes of Oatmeal. I think it was green. Such fun. And yes a much more simple time for sure. I think it would be great for all kids to have to go back in that time for a week at least. They would have a new found appreciation I think. Oh! And Teaberry gum. Yummmm Hamburgers (fullsize) at drive ins for 25 cents and many times on sale for 5 for $1. Soft drinks were a nickle. Baby food was 2 cents a jar. Bread 15 cents a loaf. Gadoline was under 20 cents a gallon. LOL I remember paying a quarter a can for Similac formula in '69 for my 1st born.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:28 AM

I remember mom hanging clothes out on the line (we didn't have a dryer). In the winter, they'd freeze, and after taking them in, we'd hang them in the kitchen to thaw out.
I remember my dad sending me to the corner store to get him a pack of cigarettes - they were $.28/pack. If I was lucky, dad would give me $.30 and I'd have 2 cents to buy penny candy.
I remember my dad paying me $.10 to shine his shoes on Saturday night before mom and dad went out.
I remember walking everywhere - never ever thought to ask dad for a ride (mom didn't drive).
I remember working on a tobacco farm at 13 for $1.05/hour, 9 hours a day, 6 days a week. That was the only work you could get (besides babysitting) at 13.
I remember ice skating at the rink made by flooding the field the local elementary school. We only went home to eat lunch, then back to ice skating. The city would also close down the street next to it after a snow storm so the kids could sled down it. If you didn't have a sled, you used a cardboard box.
Yes, those were definitely simpler times and I miss them.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:09 AM

I remember playing kick the can with the kids in the neighborhood.

Building snow forts on our vacant lot, and my dad flooding that lot in the winter to make an ice rink so all us kids in the neighborhood could skate.

Playing cowboys and indians. We played outside a lot.

My mom making popcorn (sometimes chocolate fudge too) on Sunday nights and watching Ed Sullivan, Walt Disney and Bonanza.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:16 AM

gasoline being .75 cents a gallon!
riding my horse into town barefoot, tying him up at the library, just to buy an icecream.
having all day, and the whole countryside your own.
Eating wild raspberries, asparagus and carrots from the side of the road for lunch while out playing. oh, yeah this was only in the 70's.....
Old 08-08-2011, 05:32 AM

+++++++++++Waiting for the ice delivery truck in the summer. The iceman would use a pick and break each of us kids a chunk. That was our treat on a hot day, not popcycles or ice cream.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:24 AM

Getting milk in glass jugs at the dairy down the street.

Keeping a dime in my purse at all times so I could make an emergency phone call.

Knowing whether a radio was a good one by the number of transisters it had.

Flash cubes.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:50 AM

"I remember that if I didn't like the food on my plate, i was allowed to sit there till I did. "

I have vivid memories of having to do this, but can't for the life of me, remember what kind of food it was that I wouldn't eat!!

When you went to get your friend from next door, you never knocked on the door or rang the bell, you "called them out" by yelling their first name.