Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Ice Tea

Ice Tea

It has been over 10 yrs since I traveled by car up to the northeast (went to New York state). The last time beyond a certain latitude (can't remember the cutoff), the restaurants did not have ice tea on their menu. They only had hot tea. Why don't the people up that way drink ice tea in the restaurants, at least in the summer? What about the midwest? I drink it in all seasons.

i am from ND we drink it here

In Missouri you will find iced tea on the menu ... it's even in the convenience stores now, sometimes with special flavors. Do those areas serve ice water with a meal?
    Make it a scrappy happy day!

My guess is that unlike southerners, the northern restaurants don't know how to make GOOD iced tea. It's so awful, no one ever orders it . . . so they finally stopped making it!
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

All restuarants/convience stores, etc., here has iced tea. Its a staple. We driink it unsweet. When we go south sweet tea is their staple.

We have ice tea in NY.. I don't know about ten years ago..

I like sweet iced tea but some restaurants have horrible iced tea! If I like what they have I will drink it with my meal but if I don't like the taste (could be the water or the brand of tea) I won't order it at that place. I can also drink it with or without sugar but artifical sweeteners are a big no no to me. Don't like the aftertaste!

I was just at a big event and the drink options (in bulk) included iced tea.

My question is, why is it so hard to get iced coffee? It is SOOOO good.

O Yeah -- iced coffee -- yum. I have to keep both iced tea and iced coffee in the fridge all summer -- doesn't get consumed as much in the winter.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

If you are a true Southerner, you add sugar while your liquid is hot. Makes the ice tea so goooood! At restaurants they usually add the sugar later. It doesn't taste as sweet.

lgc
    Blog Entries
    In New Hampshire we have ice tea. Most of restaurants serve unsweetend ice tea. McDonald's has sweet tea.
    lgc

Quote Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
    My guess is that unlike southerners, the northern restaurants don't know how to make GOOD iced tea. It's so awful, no one ever orders it . . . so they finally stopped making it!
    That is so untrue! I live up North and we always have Ice Tea on every menu. We also love peach and raspberry tea.
    I can't drink sweet tea because of the sugar,but, you can get that here also. Now I can't figure out why Europe doesn't drink it, is it because they don't have ice cubes?
    Donna

In Montana you can get Iced tea in restaurants year round. Also some places have the fountain raspberry and peach tsweetened teas.

Quote Originally Posted by 3incollege View Post
    That is so untrue! I live up North and we always have Ice Tea on every menu. We also love peach and raspberry tea.
    I can't drink sweet tea because of the sugar,but, you can get that here also. Now I can't figure out why Europe doesn't drink it, is it because they don't have ice cubes?
    LOL I was just being silly, hence the face. I was born and raised in New Orleans, LA and can't drink the southern sweet tea, either. I like a little sugar but "sweet tea" is just TOO much sugar, for me!
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Quote Originally Posted by sandilee View Post
    All restuarants/convience stores, etc., here has iced tea. Its a staple. We driink it unsweet. When we go south sweet tea is their staple.
    Sweet tea rules! The kind where there's so much sugar in it that your spoon stands straight up in the glass... LOL! Y'know who has goos sweet tea (at least in this neck of the woods)? McDonald's! Who knew??
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

I live on Long Island in New York and get iced tea all the time! I'm not talking about the drink Long Island Iced Tea either. Just ask and most places have it. Sweet tea is a different story. You may have to add your own sugar. I know that is not the same, but it works.
    Arlene

Blog Entries
    I'm from VA via WV and we all drink ice tea and all the resturants have it on their menus; including fast foods. Most fast food here offer the large ice teas for $1.00. I don't like sugar or anything in mine. It satisfies my thirst so much better when it's not sweetened. I know there was a time a few yrs back where a lot of fast food places quit serving it due to a violation in health codes. The health department set new guide lines as to what type of container it could be stored in and the spout that is on the container had to be able to be completely taken apart to cleaned. It wasn't before. I'm as finicky about my tea as I am about my coffee, especially since I don't put any sugar in it to cover the taste. I don't like tea that has that off taste it gets from sitting too long or being in a container that wasn't cleaned to well. It will always be my beverage of choice; that and ice water w/lemon are at the top
    Judy

Quote Originally Posted by 3incollege View Post
    and you can also order iced coffee very easily. If it's not on the menu, simply ask. My DD, who lives in Madrid, complains about not being able to get iced coffee there...when she asks, they bring her a cup of coffee and a glass of ice!

As a fellow Southerner, I've wondered the same thing. My family went on vacation in Boston many years ago and when I ordered iced tea, it came with two cubes in it. When I asked for some extra ice to cool it on down, the waitress started to scream at me!

Blog Entries
    But I'll bet they have things on their menus that you don't find in Mississippi! Ah, diversity - love it!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

In the south it's called 'sweet tea' and up north (home for me) it's called iced tea. Don't know where you traveled that didn't have it.

My DH went with a church group to Vermont about 3 years ago. Beautiful area, but no sweet tea. At each place they ate and asked for it, they were given iced tea and some sugar packets. Gross! He said they even tried to explain to some waitresses how to make it and they seemed intriqued by the concept. The first thing he wanted after getting home was a nice tall glass of sweet iced tea! Lol

Both DD's went to NYC 2 years ago and couldn't find any either. At least everyone was ready to come home soon, if only for the sweet tea! Lol
    ...the importance of one's life lies not in money or celebrity, but in doing the right thing, even in silence or secrecy, and without reward... Fergus M. Bordewich

I love lebanese tea!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

We have it in Iowa. I drink it all the time!
    Lori McC

Blog Entries
    Several years ago I went to Rhode Island on a business trip. The restaurants in the town where I was did not serve Iced tea, it was out of season (I was there in Nov.). I solved the problem by ordering hot tea & a glass of ice. Any true southern girl knows how to make good Ice tea.
    Last edited by kuntryquilter; 07-16-2012 at 04:20 AM. Reason: left out a word

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast