Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Ideas needed for teaching male teen sewing >

Ideas needed for teaching male teen sewing

Ideas needed for teaching male teen sewing

Old 06-29-2017, 02:48 PM

Pajama bottoms. Easy and something he might actually wear. My sister in law teaches home economics (co-ed) and the kids really like them.
Old 07-01-2017, 04:48 PM
Power Poster

when I teach sewing, I have them make a pillow with the flap back method. they are so surprised that in 20 minutes, they can do it. at 7, I had my son m ake a pair of jams, pj pants bottoms. good luck.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:55 PM
Power Poster

Guys love using sewing machines- they are cool power tools! Sit him down teach him the basic machine operation, threading, wind bobbin, if you have a machine with decorative stitches show him how to choose them. Then let him (Play) give him scrap fabric and let him try out all the different things he wants to try- don't ( hover) let him play. The males in our family were all playing on sewing machines pretty young. My nephew was about 17 when he decided it would be cool. Boy, he hit the ground running- in a matter of a couple hours he went from checking out operating the machine to making his first baby niece a little dress. Then appliquéing baby critters for a quilt. He's a very creative/ fearless quilter. Anyway. After your grandson is comfortable with the machine operation ask him what He would like to make. Guys catch on fast- no reason to try dictating what level project he can do. As he is learning the machine he might be thinking of what he would like to make- if you try to tell him what he ( should start with) he might just decide not to sew at all. The important part is giving him scraps and letting him do what he wants.
Ive always given the kids in the family free access to any fabric on my shelves with the only condition they have to use it not just cut it up & leave it. My granddaughters were sewing on a little Brother machine set up on a kid size care bear table making quilts by the time they were 4-5 years old. Both sons, nephew, male cousins were a bit older when they became interested. They made hunting suits ( jackets, pants) tool bags, wallets, pillow cases, pillows, all kinds of gifts.