If Won Big!!!!!!!

Old 06-10-2010, 03:15 PM

If I won a big lottery: I would pay off any unpaid debts, help my children get settled, help friends that were in need, put away for grand children's college and save and live comfortably. I would not change my location or want bigger, just have peace of mind.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:17 PM

I would divvy 5 ways; me, DH, 2 DD's, and 1DS. The size of the win would be the key as to whether any other family members are included. Far as I know, nobody is poverty stricken throughout extended family, i.e., no charity cases to worry about. I have a friend who retired from work, then went back to part-time work when the economy tanked and she is still working; I'd help her out. If we suddenly came into millions of $$$, we might sell out here and move to the Asheville, NC area where the climate is more moderate.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Boston1954
It's funny that you should ask that just now. This is what I was looking at yesterday.
Looks like my dream house! I've been log cabin e-mails for a long time, but the best I can do is wish and drool.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:42 PM
Power Poster

I would buy off my stupid neighbors so they would leave and then I'd bulldoze their place and hire someone to come in with a dump truck to pick up the trash. Then we could build our dream house. Other than that...wouldn't change a thing.....
Old 06-11-2010, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
I would buy off my stupid neighbors so they would leave and then I'd bulldoze their place and hire someone to come in with a dump truck to pick up the trash. Then we could build our dream house. Other than that...wouldn't change a thing.....
LOL
Old 06-11-2010, 07:36 AM

I would first make sure my son's family is taken care of financially, then create a family trust fund for educational purposes which could exist long after I am gone. I'd also set up a charitable trust to help people who are overwhelmed by medical bills after devastating accidents. My favorite charity is HOME FOR OUR TROOPS, so I would make a huge donation to them. Leftovers would be put in investment accounts for income.

I would custom build a small, efficient, 3 bedroom, cottage style house, just for me with a large, sunny, well furnished, quilting room, and a great kitchen, on a couple of acres of land to garden organic foods and flowers. I love to garden, cook, sew, but I hate to clean, thus, a small, effiecient house! A pool would be nice asset if I didn't live on or near a clean lake. While I love to have company, I prefer to be a home-body who can nuture/create things, and the two extra bedrooms can be for occaisional guests.

I would travel a few times a year to visit places of interest, and would probably raise Golden Retrievers for service. That way I could have wonderful pets and lots of puppies to love.

I don't want to work, but I want to be busy!

Diane
Old 06-11-2010, 08:52 AM

I would give each of the kids a chunk of money and tell them in a year I want to see what you have done to make this money work for you. Education funds would be set up for my grandchildren. We own our home and have no loans, I would buy a new car for us, but still keep my truck because I'm kind of attached to the old girl. The rest I would invest it somewhere and forget about it. Money can be a real big headache, one that I would rather not have to deal with.

Guess that's why I don't have millions! lol
Old 06-11-2010, 02:24 PM

Okay, like you said after bills are paid and etc...I would bless my church, then homes paid for free and clear for my 5 children, college set aside for the grands. Help my sister and brother.
NOW ME...custom built home with all the usuals, then dream WING for sewing...like someone said...big windows piped in music, large TV built in the wall. Great shelving, special cutting table all the sewing stuff one needs. I'm sure there is more, but the most important thing next would be someone to come in daily for maybe 3 hours or so to do come cleaning and cook dinners SO I CAN SEW ALLLLLL DAY!!!!
Old 06-12-2010, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Hey Boston- can't you just picture a huge quilter's retreat there?? If the answer is YES, can I come??? :D:D:D:D
i'm only an hour from boston.... i want to come too!
Old 06-12-2010, 12:18 PM

the very first thing i would do is QUIT MY JOB!! then, get all the kids that are already out on thier own set up in a three decker (3 flat apartement bldg for those of you not from new england) so they have their own place & rental income as a base, where they go from there..up to them to get there.

take care of the older ones student loans, as the last one wouldn't need any. (she's a jr in high school)

i have a friend who's husband had a kidney transplant 20 hrs ago, and his meds alone are almost $800.00 monthy, so we would set up an anonoumous (sp) trust to take care of that.

we would be able to do the rest of the restoration on our circa 1738 house ALL AT ONCE, instead of some here and some there as $$ & work time allow.
there would be a couple additions to the plan, though.. .a greenhouse & a good (read huge) sized addition for my sewing room

make large donation to habitat for humanity, our favorite charity organazation.

travel as much as we can & get fabric from all over the world!