Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
If you don't pet your fabric, how will it know you love it? >

If you don't pet your fabric, how will it know you love it?

If you don't pet your fabric, how will it know you love it?

Old 09-07-2013, 09:26 AM

I get pretty touchy-feely with fabrics on first meeting. I engage them verbally (usually whispering sweet nothings) or they may initiate conversation, in which case I always respond. If I sense that their life or mine would be enhanced by living in my home instead of in the institution (despite excellent care in said institution), I adopt them and tell them how happy they make me.

This is why my 11-year old screeches like a rabid hyena every time he's with me and I tell I just want to "run in" to the LQS .
Old 09-07-2013, 10:11 AM

Pet? I fondle fabric. I walk through the store with my eyes closed, just to "see" the feel of the fabrics. I have actually purchased fabric with my eyes closed. Well, I "saw" how it felt and loved it, when I opened my eyes, the fabric was gorgeous! The owner of the LQS wanted to know if this is something I do regularly, since she does the same thing when new fabric arrives at her shop.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:04 PM

ZoZee: I thought I was the only one who had kids that started crying as we walked into a fabric store. It didn't take me long to learn that everyone would have a better time if they just stayed home with their Dad. Hmmm....wonder if thats why I can't get any of my grown kids interested in quilting.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:26 PM

Of course I pet the fabric - I just don't expect it to purr when I do!
Old 09-08-2013, 03:02 AM

As my grandmother taught my mother, my mother taught me -- the feel of the fabric. She loved going to Failingers and Wendt's in Waterloo, Wisconsin when Grandma went to buy fabric for dresses and shirts and stuff. She taught Mom how to know the feel for a good piece of fabric. We, my sisters and I, always were taught that the feel of the fabric is how you determined whether to buy it for this or not buy it for that! And so Grandma has gone, Mom is gone (last month) and my sisters and I have learned well from both of them. The feel between the thumb and the index and middle finger. Sheer heaven. Edie
Old 09-08-2013, 03:23 AM

I'm with you!!! When I'm in a funky mood I go to the LQS and "pet" the fabric. When I leave I'm in a MUCH better mood LOL
Old 09-08-2013, 03:33 AM

So that's what I am. A fabric petter. I allways just thought it was part of being a quilter, glad to know I'm OK.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:05 AM

Love, love, love fabric! Love to smell, touch, fondle, imagine it in a project, and buy it! I am a fabricholic and I don't want any help!
Old 09-08-2013, 05:23 AM

Not only do I do all of the above, but I squeeze too. Gotta check out that "fabric recovery."

P
Old 09-08-2013, 07:24 AM

Its funny you should write about this! Two weeks ago I went to Shipshewana with two quilting friends. I had never been to Lolly's before, and spent my time just raising my arms three shelves up and running my hands back and forth across all the bolts. Then I d go down to the next shelve and do the same thing. I was in fabric heaven and wanted to get the full effect!