Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
If you live in Oregon! I need your help >

If you live in Oregon! I need your help

If you live in Oregon! I need your help

Old 12-14-2010, 02:29 PM

I have a brain injury.
I got a ticket for speeding 5 MPH over the speed limit in a construction zone. yes; I am guilty.
Fine is $172.00
I am not trying to get out of the ticket just get it reduced for having a good driving record.
I'm from Los Angeles and I know people were allowed to go to traffic school there.
I don't understand how to find out what my options are here because I have problems following phone prompts and such.
I haven't the slightest idea who to call anyway.
I did call the court house and was told the officer had to offer it to me at the time he wrote the ticket...what the heck is that about ??
I just don't understand and need advice.
I haven't had a ticket in over 30 years.

*******I should have said MOVED to Oregon over 10 years ago********
Old 12-14-2010, 02:37 PM

I'm from Oregon, but have to confess that I don't know anything about getting a ticket here...

My suggestion would to be to go to court and explain to the judge...

Where are you in Oregon? I'm in Redmond... :)
Old 12-14-2010, 02:45 PM

Portland.
I would never attempt to try and drive downtown.
I don't understand those streets down there.
It's to much for me.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:50 PM
Power Poster

I think you have to show up in the courtroom to get your ticket reduced... if YOU live in CA that might not be feasible, so your only option may be to send in a check for the fine.

You may be able to contact the courthouse in the county it was issued and talk to the Clerk of the District Court for more information. If you can go to that courthouse, go to that dept and show them the ticket and ask your questions.

Sometimes on the bottom of the ticket in fine print, there may be an additional fee for paying by check... My BFF didn't see that and had her license revoked due to sending in a check but not including that amount too :roll:
Also during this time of the year, it is a good idea to send it so they have to sign for it... mail gets lost easily with the volume moving around between now and Christmas.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:53 PM

My daughter lives in Portland and recently got a ticket. Sorry to say that they don't have traffic school. Her advise is to go to the court date. You will have an opportunity to talk to the officer that gave you the ticket before appearing before the judge. You might be able to negotiate with the officer. DH was able to reduce her fee for not having an Oregon license - she is originally from California too. Hope this advise helps.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by amma
I think you have to show up in the courtroom to get your ticket reduced... if YOU live in CA that might not be feasible, so your only option may be to send in a check for the fine.

You may be able to contact the courthouse in the county it was issued and talk to the Clerk of the District Court for more information. If you can go to that courthouse, go to that dept and show them the ticket and ask your questions.

Sometimes on the bottom of the ticket in fine print, there may be an additional fee for paying by check... My BFF didn't see that and had her license revoked due to sending in a check but not including that amount too :roll:
Also during this time of the year, it is a good idea to send it so they have to sign for it... mail gets lost easily with the volume moving around between now and Christmas.
amma,
I have been living in Portland for over 10 years. Oregon lic.
I did call courthoude and was told the officer had to offer it to me at time of ticket. Does not make sense.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:03 PM

I know you can ask for Probation Before Judgement in many states. My dh is a long haul truck driver and has done this.

What PBJ means, is that often the judge will not fine you but if you have another speeding ticket in a year, you not only get that charge, but the previous charge too.

I am pretty sure you have to go to court. Will CA recognize a ticket from Oregon? Sometimes states don't recognize tickets given in other states. Just pay the fine and it won't show up on your record.

Good luck!
Old 12-14-2010, 04:35 PM

She does not live in California, she lives in Oregon. I hope someone in Oregon can help her. She is like me and has a hard time with things due to her brain injury. I will look up law in Oregon and try to help you. *H*U*G*S*
Old 12-14-2010, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by joan_quilts
I know you can ask for Probation Before Judgement in many states. My dh is a long haul truck driver and has done this.

What PBJ means, is that often the judge will not fine you but if you have another speeding ticket in a year, you not only get that charge, but the previous charge too.

I am pretty sure you have to go to court. Will CA recognize a ticket from Oregon? Sometimes states don't recognize tickets given in other states. Just pay the fine and it won't show up on your record.

Good luck!
I live in Oregon and don't know how to find out about PBJ.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:14 PM

I don't live in Oregon, but in CA., when you go to the court/county to pay the ticket, they offer you the chance to go to traffic school, or at least they did the last time I had a ticket, which was many years ago. I would go talk to the police department and see what they can tell you.