IF YOU LIVE in Texas

Old 04-13-2014, 04:33 AM

We live in the Canyon Lake area and love it! Between San Antonio and Austin. Always something to do and the the people are great. The summers are hot though! Allergies can be a bit much if you haven't been bothered by them before. Are you planning a move?
Old 04-13-2014, 05:03 AM

Well, I'm a little west of TexasSunshine. I'm an hour away from Dallas. We live in the rural area where it's pretty peaceful. Lake Tawakoni is a great fishing lake if you're so inclined. We're just far enough south to not get all that snow, just the coldness. This year was the coldest I can remember. Ya, it gets hot here in the summer, but not for that long, maybe a months worth. I've lived elsewhere, but I really like where we live now.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:35 AM

We are from the GREAT STATE of TEXAS as well. We moved to WA State in 2009, and love the area we are in, but now we are planning to move back to Texas. We moved here from the League City area, which is between Houston and Galveston. We don't want to move back to that area because of the humidity, hurricanes, flooding, mosquitoes and TRAFFIC. So - I'm spending a lot of time researching and looking online at areas that don't have that. Central Texas and the Hill Country is basically where my focus has been. Suggestions welcome and I'll look! Feel free to send me a PM...
Old 04-13-2014, 07:35 AM

Default Living in Texas

Originally Posted by dreamer2009 View Post
IF YOU LIVE in Texas

what are your likes about the area.
what are your dislikes ?
...you don't have to shovel sunshine (I'm originally from snow country);
...it's just a grown up cowtown - big city advantages with small town friendliness; and
...the cost of living is very reasonable.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:03 PM

I have lived in Houston all my life and love it! Yes, we have heat and humidity but you get used to it and I would rather deal with that than snow and ice! Traffic - sure - but what city doesn't have it? Houston is making an effort to repair streets and work on freeways. We have great museums and are close to NASA and Galveston. Austin and San Antonio are an easy drive and make great getaways. Plus every year we have the Quilt Festival!

I have friends that live all over in Texas and one of the best things about Texa is that you can find a region you like - Gulf Coast for water lovers, East Texas Piney Woods, Hill Country and Edwards Plateau, the Davis Mountains, the Rio Grands Valley area, and the El Paso-Midland area! Whatever type of topography and weather you like, there will someplace in Texas just right for you!

And we have the best barbecue and Tex-Mex food of anywhere!
Old 04-13-2014, 01:25 PM

What area are you talking about? Texas geography and population is so diverse, the accents, colloquialsims so unique, etc., that it is hard to say without more information.

Want the mountains? Go to the Davis Mountains and climb rocks.
Want a beach? Go to South Padre Island or Galveston.
Want the big city urban life? Try Dallas, Fort Worth, San Antonio, Austin, Houston.
Want the desert? Go to Midland, Odessa, and travel I20 to El Paso.
Want the least populated county in the United States? Go to Loving County, county seat is Mentone.
Want farm country? Try several different sections of Texas, from the Panhandles' wheat and sorghum to the South Texas citrus farms.
There is a lot more to Texas than geography. If you are a Yankee, you are liekly to be offended because people will want to know where you go to church. If you are lazy, don't come for anything except a visit because the Puritan work ethic, for the most part, is alive and well here. If you don't like the Texas drawl, the variations thereof, and Texanisms, keep it to yourself. You're the one who talks funny everywhere except where you came from. What you will mostly find in Texas is mostly friendly, helpful people who will welcome you with open arms. froggyintexas
Originally Posted by dreamer2009 View Post
IF YOU LIVE in Texas

what are your likes about the area.
what are your dislikes ?

Last edited by FroggyinTexas; 04-13-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:40 PM

I've always lived in Texas. Have been in College Station for the last 25 years. the only thing I don't like about Texas is the humidity. It is unbearable sometimes, especially when you want to participate in or visit something that is outside. You wanna live in Texas, you really need an air conditioner in your house AND car!
Old 04-14-2014, 05:00 AM

I love Texas. I was born in Dallas, Tx and lived there until I was 40. I miss the 4 seasons and the beauty and splendor of the nature. I currently live in NY and love the autumn season. But, I would move back to Texas and home, if I could get my husband to agree.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:29 AM

Anyone live near Pipe Creek?
Old 04-14-2014, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by TacoMama View Post
Anyone live near Pipe Creek?

I'm in Lakehills!