Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
If you want to know how well a company makes it's clothes.... >

If you want to know how well a company makes it's clothes....

If you want to know how well a company makes it's clothes....

Old 01-24-2012, 08:53 PM

Default If you want to know how well a company makes it's clothes....

Just try taking apart one of their shirts with a seam ripper, lol. I bought some shirts at a yard sale, because the fabric is really nice, and I want to use it in some different projects. Today, I decided that instead of just taking the scissors and cutting in to the material, I would use the seam ripped and dismantle this shirt. Lol. I can certainly recommend that if the company is still in business, they REALLY know how to put a garment together to stay. The name of the company is Company One. I did get part of it ripped out, but I am going to give up and use the rotary cutter on the rest

I also have to say that I learned a lot too, about how to assemble and sew a shirt or blouse, more than I would have from sewing just using a pattern, so it was overall, a very good experience.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:11 PM

Good for you!! Not many clothes are well made anymore!!
Old 01-25-2012, 02:04 AM

If the shirt was put together that good then it's a good chance that the shirt was made of good material. What are some of your projects?
Old 01-25-2012, 03:31 AM
Power Poster

glad it was a learning opportunity for you
Old 01-25-2012, 04:02 AM

It is amazing where we can pick up additional education about sewing.

mltquilt
Old 01-25-2012, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by scrappy2 View Post
If the shirt was put together that good then it's a good chance that the shirt was made of good material. What are some of your projects?
I always keep an eye out for good material in clothes when we go to yard sales. This shirt, like the others, was a good 100% cotton. This one has a square design, with the raised "rag" edging. And the shirt is a 2x, and generous, so there is a lot of nice material there.

I make rice packs often, for those who need or can use them, bags...finally got fed up with trying to buy one to suit my needs and started making mine, lol....have been making dog beds for a shelter recently. I have no particular project in mind for this, but knew I wanted it as soon as I saw it.

I also found a beautiful denim shirt with flowers embroidered all over the front. I am thinking that will eventually become a bag.

lol, I have a quilt in one of my cedar chests, calling my name....HEY, work on ME. I am trying to ignore it.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:01 AM

Good for you for giving it a try, learning about clothes - assembly, and getting beautiful new fabric!
Old 01-26-2012, 01:55 PM

When I read the title, I was sure we were going to get a story of how buttons fall off the first time it's worn, or a seam rips out in the first wash, or something similar. I'm amazed you found something from a store that is actually well made. Most of the stuff on the market now is junk.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:12 PM

I make a lot of my husband's short sleeved shirts out of fish fabrics. The pattern I had didn't fit him well, so I took one of his old shirts apart with a seam ripper and have used it as a pattern for his shirts for years. It was pretty old when he got rid of it, but I have made a lot of use of it. It had about 3/8 inch seams so I use that when making him the new shirts. They come out great every time.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:51 PM

You'd be amazed at what you can make out of clothing from yard sales and thrift shops. I've made whole quilts out of the fabric taken from good quality cotton shirts. I've done two lovely plaid quilts out of the wool blend plaid shirts (arms are good to save up for the binding, same goes for cotton). I've made a couple of "blue jeans" quilts for a niece and nephew at college because that's the big thing there, and they're both in cold climates, so at least I'll know they're warm. The jeans make great bags as well. I've sewed and shopped at these places for decades. You should go on over and see what you're missing! You can find some very unique things in yard sales and thrift shops!