Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Ignore "download pdf reader" if bright green. >

Ignore "download pdf reader" if bright green.

Ignore "download pdf reader" if bright green.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:32 PM

Default Ignore "download pdf reader" if bright green.

I have been to some sites lately that have free designs.
Anyhow, on most of those "free" sites there is now a big green "download pdf reader" box. It is an ad, and you do not need to click on it.

Legitimate sites and downloads usually require Adobe Reader. If you do not have it installed already -- you probably do -- there is a gray/red/white icon to download it. It is not big and huge like the green pdf reader offered. Adobe reader is free, and allows you to see .pdf files but not edit them. You can print them and use them however you like though.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-15-2012 at 02:35 PM. Reason: link requires sign up for free designs
Old 06-15-2012, 05:20 PM
Power Poster

thanks, it's getting so frustrating just to live every day!!
Old 06-15-2012, 07:45 PM
Power Poster

I went to a quilt site, a adobe reader update popped up and I mindlessly clicked it and my computer got a trojan from it. It was a phony pop up. My Daughter had to go to laptop's manufacturer's site and find out how to restore to factory settings and start reloading things I had. My laptop was useless, it would run about three minutes before it would turn off, even in safe mode, she had a computer to use for the info. Nothing in the manual told how to do that. I had tired all I knew to get it fixed, security programs are somehow blocked and doesn't notify you anything is amiss.

Last edited by Jingle; 06-15-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:53 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for the info. Having smart people around to keep us informed is wonderful. I am not very computer savy and these small bits of information are very helpful. Thank you very much.
peace
Old 06-17-2012, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I went to a quilt site, a adobe reader update popped up and I mindlessly clicked it and my computer got a trojan from it. It was a phony pop up. My Daughter had to go to laptop's manufacturer's site and find out how to restore to factory settings and start reloading things I had. My laptop was useless, it would run about three minutes before it would turn off, even in safe mode, she had a computer to use for the info. Nothing in the manual told how to do that. I had tired all I knew to get it fixed, security programs are somehow blocked and doesn't notify you anything is amiss.
My hubby did that. I had to go online (on my computer) get the instructions and completely reformat the harddrive in his computer. Then I had to reload all the programs. Wasn't fun, but it did work and I didn't pay $250 to a computer geek.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:27 AM

You're welcome for the info. Remember Adobe is the legitmate .pdf reader, get used to seeing what it looks like. You will usually see their icon that looks like this: http://get.adobe.com/reader/?promoid=BUIGO On sites where you need to view something they usually have a little rectangular icon and a message that Adobe reader is required to view the file. It is free, and it does often prompt you to upgrade after you've installed it. When you do -- again you have to be careful -- because even Adobe might try to get you to install a tool bar on your menu. So uncheck boxes that want you to install unecessary items during the download.

It's the other big flashy ones (like that green one) that lead you to believe you have to install them to view whatever you are trying to see that will mess up your PC. Most XP and Vista PCs create restore points when you download a new program, and you can usually access "system restore" under "accessories" and "system tools" on your start menu if you need to revert to the state your computer was in before you downloaded malware or other programs you do not need.

Trojans require more effort to get rid of, and you need to have good anti-virus and malware protection installed. and update it frequently. If they do not work you can go to http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ and use their free "housecall" scanner. If you do, be aware that it takes forever to download and scan the first time, and it IS working.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:20 PM

Found an example of the green PDF reader I am talking about: http://crochet.craftgossip.com/croch...on/2012/06/06/
You do not need it.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:08 AM

Is there any way a half way intelligent person (like me) can tell the difference between a authentic Adobe update and a dangerous imitation -- I've always been thankful that the Adobe updates are so easy and trouble free but guess I need to be more careful.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:28 AM

I have my " approved" software such as adobe set to up date automatically...... so I'm always uptoday... my computer checks ever week for updates and tada .. it does it... I love auto stuff like that.....

I hate those green PDF

I have also found if u get one of those spam/trojans.... if u just simply close the window ( with the ext on the top right) and do not hit cancel on the program it inturpts the problem and I can simply reopen my brower window and start over... no trojan... it's when u click on THEIR "close/exit" box that gets u into trouble....