Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I'm 8 days older than water but never ate collard greens before; how to cook? >

I'm 8 days older than water but never ate collard greens before; how to cook?

I'm 8 days older than water but never ate collard greens before; how to cook?

Old 07-04-2011, 08:10 AM

Just a suggestion....eat winter collards...after they have had frost on them. Summer collards tend to be bitter. Just a bit of sugar will help...but winter collards are just better. oh and I cook them the same.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
My Mama sautes them in a pan with a bit of bacon grease and serves with bacon crumbles. I like to add a touch of grated asiago cheese.

That is how she cooks all greens (poke, mustard and creases), so I would assume you could cook your collard greens pretty much the same way you cook your turnip greens.
I always boil them first - then do this.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
My Mama sautes them in a pan with a bit of bacon grease and serves with bacon crumbles. I like to add a touch of grated asiago cheese.

That is how she cooks all greens (poke, mustard and creases), so I would assume you could cook your collard greens pretty much the same way you cook your turnip greens.
I always boil them first - drain - then cook same as above.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:47 AM

I am so glad someone asked this question. I have wanted to try these greens but had no idea how to cook them. thanks
Old 07-04-2011, 11:45 AM

after reading some of the answers to how to cook collards..I clean them...cut them up....I pan fry bacon in a cast iron dutch oven...when the bacon is done I look to see how much grease is let. If it's quite a bit I remove some...add a bit of water and then the collards. I put a lid on and turn down to medium heat. You have to watch carefully because they will burn. When done I eat with cornbread. Naturally my husband has to have cornbread made with white cornmeal. Personally I like the yellow better!! LOL
Old 07-04-2011, 01:54 PM

http://www.recipesecrets.net/forums/...rd-greens.html

this is the way i do mustard greens - the steamed way with bacon. i'm not seeing as much mustard as in past years.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:46 PM

yuch!
ceegee
Old 07-04-2011, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by mermaid
Originally Posted by nance-ell
I always cut out the stem down the middle (sometimes they get so big and are tough, but the little veins in the leaves are fine) and cut or tear the leaves into smaller pieces. Rinse the leaves in a colandar in the sink several times. They cook down a LOT, so you probably want to make more than you think you should. I saute a little finely minced garlic in oil in the bottom of a dutch oven or other large cooking pot. If you don't like garlic, cook bacon as someone else mentioned. Or do both! LOL. Add the greens and cover with water. Add a little salt (to taste - you can always check and add more toward the end of cooking time). Bring to a boil and then cut the heat back and let them cook on medium until done. Doneness would be to your liking, but I cook them for at least an hour. Warning: they don't smell so good while they are cooking, but are oh so good when they are done! I apologize if this is in any way vague, but I don't really have a recipe... I just wing it! LOL.
Now, I LOVE the smell of turnip greens cooking!! Makes me get the 'hungries' and a fork to dip and sample. Was just going to wing it --thanks for assuring they're all cooked pretty much the same way.
When I lived in Mississippi people there put little tiny hot peppers into a shaker bottle of vinegar, and sprinkled the vinegar over cooked collards to give them a better flavor!
Look into the fact there are two seasons of collards. One is earlier and is tender and tasty, the other is later and has larger leaves that are thicker and have to be cut or torn up
before cooking.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:35 PM

Have no idea - not even sure what a collard green is - but had to lol @ "8 days older than water"! Never heard that before but absolutely love it!
Old 07-04-2011, 04:43 PM

Just had a forced march to the garden to see DH products and there were the collards. So I thank all for advice on what to do with them. He also planted fennel, any suggestions for that? The rest of his produce I am familiar with but each year we plant something we are unfamiliar with growing or eating. Advice please.