I'm showing my age

Old 05-31-2011, 10:54 AM

Does anyone remember "Jo-cur" wave set ? In the old days if we didn't have it my Mother used egg whites. Can you imagine !!! She made finger waves in my hair and they stayed in, it really worked. I think that hairstyle came from the "roaring twenties". Necessity is the mother of invention , right?
Old 05-31-2011, 11:14 AM

Don't remember that, but do remember going to the "beauty shop"with Mom while she got a wash & set. I was fascinated by the ladies getting perms.They sat under an egg looking machine with elec wires going to each curler in their hair. The heat caused the perm solution to dry & hair to curl.

My aunt got perms & her hair smelled like perm solution for a week.:)
Old 05-31-2011, 12:49 PM

I was fascinated by the ladies getting perms.They sat under an egg looking machine with elec wires going to each curler in their hair. The heat caused the perm solution to dry & hair to curl.
------------------------------------
I remember my first, very special permanent for my 13th birthday. I had my hair cut from waist length to shoulder length, and then it was rolled in big curlers that were attached to something on the ceiling of the beauty parlor with wires. I had to sit there for a long with those horrible odors coming here and there when someone walked in the door. The next day my hair was so dried out that lots of it broke off when I tried to comb it and I was in my 40s before I could be talked into having another one. Up until that beauty parlor, I was surprised to hear others suggest new products that they bought just for hair.
I had thought everyone had to use lye soap for bathing, washing clothes and bodies and hair and floors. It was the original do everything product.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:29 PM

We lived in town & Ivory soap was our go to product for baths,hair & babies.Don't recall what was used for laundry....no softners or stain removals....but we always had bleach.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:54 PM

yes, i remember my mother gettng perms with those rods and wires. Awful, glad i had natural curly hair. lol Barb
Old 05-31-2011, 06:40 PM

I don't, but I do remember the frizz ball from when my Mom gave me a home perm.. Never again did I have a perm. Now I'm in the wholesale beauty business and sell hundreds of different shampoos from many vendors...light cleansing, deep cleansing, curl, moist, straight, volumn, oily, dry..you name it, we sell it. We also sell hundreds of perms every week..what kind do you want..regular, extra body, resistant, color treated, hi-lift, acid, alkaline, exothermic...this industry has come a long way, baby.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:06 AM

My mom used to put my hair in a pony tail and dip a comb in sugar water and comb it through. Needless to say not a hair came down! It stayed rock hard...But think I attracted bugs along the way!!
Old 06-01-2011, 03:24 AM

I had curly hair and when I was 12 I got it straightened (perm). It looked AWFUL after a few months, if you can picture shoulder length hair that is straight on the bottom and wavy up top. I even have a school picture that memorialized this horrible "do".
Old 06-01-2011, 03:27 AM

Loraine - I am an ex-hair stylist. I was taught Finger Waves in trade school.

Our instruction told us any GOOD hairdresser only needs a pair of scissors, comb and hand to create a nice look! She was right. And putting a good 'gel' - old fashioned or new - helps hold the Finger Waves in place. YUP Roaring Twnties!

Julie
Old 06-01-2011, 04:23 AM

I agree with your instructor.Have saved a ton of money thru my life by almost never buying "upscale" hair products.Soap is soap, hair spray ditto.Sticking with a good hair cut every so often works best for me.All I need is a comb & a bit of gel or foam.....works for me & cheap cheap.:lol: :lol:

Originally Posted by JulieTN
Loraine - I am an ex-hair stylist. I was taught Finger Waves in trade school.

Our instruction told us any GOOD hairdresser only needs a pair of scissors, comb and hand to create a nice look! She was right. And putting a good 'gel' - old fashioned or new - helps hold the Finger Waves in place. YUP Roaring Twnties!

Julie
:lol: