Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I'm visiting Texas, any tips? >

I'm visiting Texas, any tips?

I'm visiting Texas, any tips?

Old 02-07-2012, 11:12 AM

Default I'm visiting Texas, any tips?

I am very excited that on Thursday hubby and myself are flying to Houston and then having a 2 week trip around the lower half of this huge state! Any Texas gals here who can suggest what we should look out for? e.g. any special food dishes we should eat (I presume that steak is usually somewhere on the menu!) and anything we should look out to buy to bring home. And what are the must visit places? I am definitely going to Joanne's if I find one, having heard so much chat about these shops on the board! Any tips or advice gratefully received. Oh, I can't wait!
Old 02-07-2012, 11:57 AM

I hear the River Walk in San Antonio is fun. Never been. Definately on my todo list.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:48 PM

Texas Quilt Museum, LaGrange, TX (little town between Houston and Austin--haven't been yet but heard its great). River Walk, San Antonio as well as other downtown sites. So many things to do and see depending on your interests. Space Center-Houston; Padre Island-Gulf Coast. Galveston-historic gulf coast. Food--steak for sure and Mexican food. Seafood on the gulf. And----don't forget the quilt shops. Lots of them from Austin to San Antonio and in Houston. Joanns fabrics everywhere. Have fun!!!!
Old 02-07-2012, 01:55 PM

We had a good steak at Salt Creek......VERY good Tex/Mex food everywhere......go to Food Network and check on Guy Ferire's "Diners, Drive In & Dives"; Find directions to Old Town Spring....a village of most interesting shops, tea room, quilt store, so fun! Been a few years since I went but it is just great to wander around for most of the day and there is also restaurants there.

Corpus Christi is fun, I would steer clear of the border towns as the drug cartels are busy there and it isn't as safe as it used to be. There is an Ikea store there and Garden Ridge which has silk flowers and all kinds of stuff.

DBF and I used to tak Hwy 8 South and check all the towns inbetween Houston and Laredo and Laredo has really built up the last few years, that is Loredo Texas; just across the Rio Grande is Laredo, Mexico and I understand the Mexican Laredo is really over run with drug cartels, do not know if the American side is safe, but anyone can tell you, I'm sure.

The River Walk in San Antone has been really changed, a regular tourist trap, with good food and entertainment. The Alamo is in San Antone and north of there is New Braunfels which has a wonderful Smokehouse Restaurant, food is sooooo good!

Enjoy your trip and have fun and be safe!

delma
Old 02-07-2012, 03:21 PM

Oh thanks for the suggestions. Quilt museum sounds interesting and it is on our route too, might have to schedule a stop. Gotta go to bed now, and tomorrow we start our journey by leaving Cornwall and heading for London. Just hope we get away as lots of flights have been cancelled due to bad weather, fingers crossed.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:26 PM

Don't know exactly how far up you will be coming, but if you reach the DFW area there are several great quilt stores in the area.

A lot of what you see will depend on the route you plan to take from Houston as there are several major highways that lead to different areas of the state. As someone else mentioned, the border towns are not the place to sightsee. Austin, San Antonio, Dallas, and Fort Worth are major cities. It depends on how far you want to go from Houston and which direction. A map of Texas would be a good place to start as it will give you an idea how far you want to travel from Houston.

Have loads of fun.

mltquilt
Old 02-07-2012, 03:33 PM

take a good book traveling can take time since its such a big state.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:19 PM

I have been to San Antonio, and the Riverwalk and the Alamo are very nice. My son moved to Katy, Tx, just outside of Houston after Katrina. He tells me he and his family have been to Padre Island, Galveston and Corpus Christi and enjoy it. You might want to travel six to eight ours and visit New Orleans. Our "Mardi Gras" is on February 21st with lots of parades and festivities two week prior to the big day. If you have never been it is quite an experience, and I don't mean Bourbon Street. Downtown Canal Street is very festive and you would enjoy it. Mardi Gras is also in other parts of New Orleans. I live in the suburbs, about seven miles from the city and they have their own krewes here also. There are krewes across the river too. My sons-in-law usually go out early in morning around 3am or 4am to secure a good spot. We go out later to meet them. We bring lots of good food and make it a day. We sit down waiting for the parades and watch all the people wearing costumes pass by. I have been experiencing this since I was a kid and still get excited seeing it each year. Its a real family event with lots of families and their children. Hope you can make it.

Lucy
Old 02-07-2012, 04:48 PM

Gaveston Island and Old Towne Spring are fun to visit in the Houston area. So is NASA Space center. Iced tea is the national drink so be sure to order that. Fried green tomatoes are so good! And don't forget some good, old, down home Mexican food....it's the best!
Old 02-07-2012, 06:40 PM

I would suggest you visit the Texas website for tourists. Only you know what you are interested in. Houston has a first class fine art museum, first class zoo, first class shopping, excellent dining, ice skating, etc. I suggest you try Texas steaks, barbeque and Tex-Mex food. Also excellent ethnic dining from other countries. Our coastlines and beaches do not compare with those of most southern countries. You will probably be more impressed with our size. There is an impressive cave just a few miles north of San Antonio at San Marcos. I hope you enjoy your stay.

Last edited by TanyaL; 02-07-2012 at 06:47 PM.