Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Input and/or suggestions please on new stove >

Input and/or suggestions please on new stove

Input and/or suggestions please on new stove

Old 07-27-2018, 07:36 AM

I bought a new stove and microwave about a year ago. They are both Maytag. I got talked into a convection option too and have never, never used it. I am so sorry that I got talked into having this option. What I do like is that I have two ovens which is a wonderful feature. One is small in height and the bottom one is regular size. It is a glass flat top electric oven. Can't remember the full cost but I always get the 12 or 24 month payment plan with no interest. This is the only way I buy anything. I feel the money is better in my pocket than theirs.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:52 AM

I have the least expensive Kenmore and it is not making me happy. It replaced a top of the line GE (from 1993). Burners are too hot, oven isn't well insulated, burner rings deteriorate quickly. I do have the oven clean cycle. I wouldn't be w/o it. No convection. My convection microwave wasn't impressive, though I did use it for overflow on Thanksgiving and Christmas. My sour cream cookies would not bake properly in the convection oven at church.
Old 07-27-2018, 01:37 PM

I have the Maytag Gemini which is smooth top electric and dual oven. Top oven is small the size of the drawer and gets the most use, excellent for pizza and other stuff. Doesn't take long to heat up so it is more efficient. Lower oven is regular size BUT it is very low so I find myself kneeling in the floor when using it. I have had it 20+ years and have never had a problem with it. I would love to have wall ovens but this going just won't die.
Old 07-27-2018, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by tranum View Post
Boy, do I hate my (stainless steel) black glass top. The top always looks icky in spite of being careful to keep it wiped up. I found “e- cloths” sold at hardware store and a spray bottle of plain water to be the best help. All my stainless is high maintenance.

We left my old (white) speckled gray glass top stove in the house when we moved 5.5 years ago. It was a dream to keep clean and I’d love to have it again. When I tried to buy another one, I couldn’t get refrig, dishwasher and stove all in same brand if I wanted white so I opted for stainless. Big mistake as far as I’m concerned. Appliances aren’t made to last anymore either.
Tranum, I have a question for you, if you don't mind. Have you ever tried Weiman Glass Cook Top Cleaner on your black cook top? That is what I use on my white glass cook top and I think it works really well, cleaning it and polishing. I use the razor and a firm plastic "scrubby" thing that came with the stove for stubborn, burned on things. The razor only when it is wet or with the glass top cleaner or it can scratch. But, we are planning to replace this stove with a stainless version and so far, I've only seen them with black tops. Must admit I'm a little worried about keeping that looking nice, kind of like you said. Yikes!