Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Input and/or suggestions please on new stove >

Input and/or suggestions please on new stove

Input and/or suggestions please on new stove

Old 07-26-2018, 06:17 AM

I don’t think I can add much to this discussion except to say I have always preferred Hotpoint stoves. The one I am currently using is just over thirty years old, and still works and looks like brand new. I can remove the burners, and the front pops up for cleaning, I can pull the knobs for cleaning too. The oven is plenty large (twenty two pound turkey last year....) and not bad to clean (even if I usually pay someone to do it). I really like that it has a timer on it, to help me remember when it is turned on. (Forgetful, crazy old bat, you know, lol) If it ever needs repair, I can have it done for not much, unless it is beyond help, then I will find another Hotpoint without going broke. Why change brands when it works so well for so long. I can even buy new drip pans at Walmart, so it is very convenient.

Last edited by madamekelly; 07-26-2018 at 06:21 AM.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:27 AM

I have a Whirlpool electric glass top stove. It has 4 burners and a keep warm burner, 2 of the burners give me the option of either a small or large burner. The oven has option of either regular or convection use and I use both. The oven is self clean but it is an Aqualift clean, I wipe oven out and pour 2 cups of water in bottom of oven and hit clean. The oven heats to only 200 degrees and runs for about 40 minutes, then I just open the door and wipe out the oven. I love this feature and find that I clean my oven more often especially in the summer when I don't want to heat up the house.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:42 AM

You will probably get as many different opinions as there are responses. My favorite was a Whirlpool smooth top. We have a Frigidaire now and I hate the thing. The oven takes to long to heat and then stays hot forever after you turn it off.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:22 PM

Tho I have a gas stove and will never have otherwise, one feature that I've seen and really want in my next stove is racks that are on slides on the side of the oven, like kitchen drawers on slides...the rack can slide out and stay there with no chance of it tipping. That leaves my hands free to work with what I'm cooking. Just a thought.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:28 PM

Boy, do I hate my (stainless steel) black glass top. The top always looks icky in spite of being careful to keep it wiped up. I found “e- cloths” sold at hardware store and a spray bottle of plain water to be the best help. All my stainless is high maintenance.

We left my old (white) speckled gray glass top stove in the house when we moved 5.5 years ago. It was a dream to keep clean and I’d love to have it again. When I tried to buy another one, I couldn’t get refrig, dishwasher and stove all in same brand if I wanted white so I opted for stainless. Big mistake as far as I’m concerned. Appliances aren’t made to last anymore either.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by paoberle View Post
Be aware that if you do a lot of baking you should not use the convection feature. It dries out the baked goods. Also, cast iron cannot be used on some flat tops.
Convection is good for baking......cookies. But most other baking not so much. Just keep that in mind if you bake a lot. I have a convection oven, but really only use it for making cookies, and that really isn't that much anymore. I'm too busy quilting LOL!
Old 07-26-2018, 05:13 PM

I'm glad you are not buying a gas stove! We just bought a Frigidaire gas stove and I had to remove all the knobs . If you just brush against them they turn on and the gas comes on . I didn't realize it a few times and the house filled with gas. A disaster waiting to happen!!!!
Old 07-26-2018, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by lorraine43 View Post
I'm glad you are not buying a gas stove! We just bought a Frigidaire gas stove and I had to remove all the knobs . If you just brush against them they turn on and the gas comes on . I didn't realize it a few times and the house filled with gas. A disaster waiting to happen!!!!
OMGosh! That is so scary. I hope you notified the manufacturer. I haven't had gas cooking in many years, but it seems to me that we used to have to push down and turn the knobs so that they couldn't easily be turned by a child or in the way you've experienced. I hate it when things get worse after they already knew how to make it safer. If I get the chance to buy another gas one, I will remember to ask about this. I'm glad you mentioned it.

We had electric convection ovens from 2000 to 2014, and I loved them. I can't justify changing the good basic oven in our current house yet, but convection was definitely better for everything. It distributes the heat more evenly and is more efficient. We bought a Jenn-aire in one house and it was great. Got another one when we moved in 2005, and that one had some problems at first, but they were covered by the warranty. I would buy that brand again.

One word of caution about the newer ovens with circuit boards. Our repairman mentioned this: Don't let anyone slam the door. Those fancy electronics do not like to get jarred around.
Old 07-27-2018, 02:59 AM

My stove is a 1936 Estate gas. See no reason to replace it as it still works fine, but will have to change it to propane.
Old 07-27-2018, 04:17 AM

I would also love a new electric stove and appliances.. I came into a marriage where the appliances were already here picked out by my husband and his then girlfriend. Our kitchen is small, with no windows in the immediate room...but sunlight does stream in from other rooms. Why they bought black appliances is beyond me, as they do nothing for the room. I'd much rather have white or stainless steel for a second choice. Oh...and I hate the ceramic cook tops. At some point they all get "buggered" up.