Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Interfacing vs. stabilizer HELP >

Interfacing vs. stabilizer HELP

Interfacing vs. stabilizer HELP

Old 11-04-2013, 10:01 AM

Default Interfacing vs. stabilizer HELP

I don't think this is quilt related, since I'm making a bag, so I hope I'm putting this thread in the right section! Apologies in advance if I did not and someone has to move it.

Ok, bit of background. I quilt, have quilted for about 10 years. I've been branching out into more complex quilts and have been having a great bit of fun so far.

I would like to make a bag. Here is my dilemma, every single time I've attempted to make clothes or a casserole carrier or something that isn't a quilt, it is an abysmal failure. I have a buddy who's sewed and done alterations for decades and she lets me know that yes, the patterns I have picked so far are very easy and I shouldn't mess them up, then I mess them up.

I saw a bag on pinterest that is labeled as simple, only two fabrics, no quilting and looks very chic and cute. I already have a recipient in mind. I would really, really like to make this bag. Anywho, it says that it needs interfacing to make it stiff. Well, I don't have any, but I have some stabilizer. Are the two interchangeable? I'm making a bag, but I want it good and stiff and sturdy so she can put stuff in it.

I can get interfacing if it has to be interfacing, I just want to make sure I get the right thing. I'd like it to be fusible. Do you all have any favorites or go tos for interfacing or stabilizer? The bag is not huge, it's size and shape is comparable to one of those reusable shopping bags from walmart, but it's a purse and it's super stiff and sturdy so you can put lots of stuff in your bag.

TIA. I went to LQS & Walmart this weekend looking and there have to be 50 types of stabilizers or interfacing and I was completely lost in this sea of stuff. I'd like to be able to get a little package of it. I don't intend to buy a ton, just enough for a bag or two. If I like making, I'll probably make one for me too.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:18 AM
Power Poster

you could try looking online for the type of stabilizer you have and see what they say or didn't it come with directions? I just used some Deco-bond very thin 809 fusible on one side in a placemat and had to find out if I could sew through it. nothing about that in the paperwork that came with it. frustrating! Now I used to read and re-read clothing pattern directions at least two or three times before using them. Do that with the tote bag directions too and then go for it. I'm not sure about what stabilizer you have to help on that but do think it may be just fine to use.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:53 PM

I can sympathize with you. I too, am sewing challenged when it comes to anything that is not a quilt. I try and try to make a bag, and I usually get stuck right away, not knowing the language (sewing terms). Is there any such thing as a "Bag for Dummies"? Good Luck.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:55 PM
Power Poster

Seems like the LQS staff could help you decide? You could show them the pattern.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:17 PM

My mom make LOTS of totes and uses pellon Décor Bond. Its at Jo'Anns. Its stiff and she sews thru it.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:47 PM

I'm going to print out the pattern and take it with me to JoAnn's. I didn't think about stuff being available you couldn't sew through. Will also look at Decor bond. Hopefully the sale they have this weekend at Joann's doesn't involve every employee at checkout or fabric cutting or I might be there all day asking questions! Thank you all for your input.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:46 AM

I have no idea about the interfacing, but I also struggle with other types of sewing. I've concluded that I can handle quilting because it's two dimensional, but once I get into three dimensions, all my understanding flies out the window. I have managed to make fabric boxes, although they are never great. I try to just roll with it, but it's amazing how piecing quilts seems so natural to me and sewing a tote bag leaves me confused!
Old 11-05-2013, 09:48 AM

I sewed a cute organizer that sits below my machine once. I made it 3 times before I got it right and the scissors don't fit in the scissor pocket due to that whole 3D thing. Going shopping this weekend.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:04 AM

You first need to know what weight of stablizer you need. Then go to your local sewing shop and they will help you find it. I have done a bag and it required a very heavy stablizer. I didn't even know they made it until the helpful clerk showed me the different types
Old 11-06-2013, 05:17 PM

For your bag to hold its shape, you really need to use the type of interfacing recommended in the pattern. Ask me how I know?