Invisible Zipper?

Old 06-28-2016, 11:06 AM

Default Invisible Zipper?

It's been a long time since I made myself a dress, so when I picked up this pattern I didn't think twice about it needing a zipper and I figured I likely had one at home.
However, this pattern requires an "invisible" zipper and needs a special foot.
Has anyone run across this before? And, can I just put a regular zipper in?
From the directions, you don't do them the same (ie: close the seam, then sew the zipper in, then open the seam). This one you somehow iron it on before you sew it? The directions on the pattern were fizzy, but very clear that you could break your needle if you didn't do it right.

Anyone have any experience with this type of zipper or should I attempt to adjust the pattern to take a regular zipper?

Watson
Old 06-28-2016, 12:15 PM

You could probably use a regular zipper. The invisible ones sit in the seam looking like it is only the seam there. It is set in a little different than a regular one. I wondered if they were still used. Fashions I see now have the zipper exposed looking like poor workmanship to me
Old 06-28-2016, 01:13 PM

*** I have used Invisible Zippers for years and have always used my Regular Zipper Foot.
*** You can put them in the same way as you mentioned with the old type.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:14 PM
Power Poster

It has been a while but remember that you had to press the invisible zipper a certain way to open it up to sew. Not sure if the packets are still available but it had various feet in it to use with different machines. Was a nice package to be used in installing those zippers.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:38 PM

I used my regular zipper foot also. If I remember correctly, you unroll the tape next to the teeth and stitch a few (maybe 16th in) away from teeth. You could try an inch or two at the bottom of the zipper, using longer stitches that would be easy to rip out, just to see if it will work for you.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:48 PM

You can use a regular zipper if you want to. You can buy a plastic one for the invisible one at any fabric store or Nancy's Notions.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
It's been a long time since I made myself a dress, so when I picked up this pattern I didn't think twice about it needing a zipper and I figured I likely had one at home.
However, this pattern requires an "invisible" zipper and needs a special foot.
Has anyone run across this before? And, can I just put a regular zipper in?
From the directions, you don't do them the same (ie: close the seam, then sew the zipper in, then open the seam). This one you somehow iron it on before you sew it? The directions on the pattern were fizzy, but very clear that you could break your needle if you didn't do it right.

Anyone have any experience with this type of zipper or should I attempt to adjust the pattern to take a regular zipper?

Watson
Maybe this will/could help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmsA7PLCcTs
Old 06-28-2016, 07:26 PM
Power Poster

i remember using a pecial plastic foot for it.

I was at a big Bar mitzvah a few months ago, and the zipper was down the back and didn't match on the woman next to me. I was kind of shocked and found myself staring at it in awe. the dress was black and the tape was red with silver teeth.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:36 AM

I've just inserted an invisible zip into a skirt for the first time using a zipper foot. I looked up a video on YouTube and you just need to roll out the zipper to get the need as close as possible to the teeth. Good luck.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:45 AM

I used invisible zippers with a special foot in the late 1960's. They have the advantage of not having the placket to mess with, but if you have to iron it in (I don't remember that) and do all the other things, it seems like a lot of work. So I would probably go with a regular sipper. Good luck!