Ipad or laptop and why?

Old 04-20-2012, 08:40 PM

Default Ipad or laptop and why?

I need to upgrade my pc, thinking of a Ipad2 instead but still hesitant. Any suggestions or likes or dislikes?
Old 04-21-2012, 06:42 PM

I don't have an iPad but my computer guru told me I needed to get one!! Said it was easier to maintain than my laptop!! Go figure...
Old 04-21-2012, 08:05 PM
Power Poster

My daughter has the new Ipad and I steal it whenever she isn't looking. I am just learning my way around but it is neat. I can use it on QB and to Google. You can take pictures with it but not as good quality as a camera. You can set it up for reading books but we haven't done that yet. The print is easy to enlarge to read and you can flip from screen to screen with your fingertip. There are lots of neat app's for games to play. I can watch Youtube quilting videos on it. I am sure there are lots of other things it is capable of that I have yet to discover.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:36 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

i have the Iphone, ipad2 and a laptop.. i hardly use the ipad, my laptop is my go-to over the ipad.. My Iphone is the one that is well used all the time.. lol.. but my IMHO the ipad is convenient if you travel (plane, waiting for an appt, etc) but you need a wireless card for it if you plan on surfing the web.. my daughter uses the ipad more than I do with games, movies and books..

We facetime pad to phone when hubby travels, and the camera isnt so hot in the ipad2 (mine) but the latest ipad (hubby has that one) has the better resolution.. my pictures are pretty crappy - his are really nice.. you can download mag subscriptions to them as well as TV shows and movies.. its a pain IMHO to correct my typos and move the dang curser when im in facebook or the QB ( any typing really).. guess my fingers are too cold for the touch screen to work..

as with everything it has pros and cons.. just depends on what your need is.. I dont need it, but its a nice toy to keep my lil one busy when i need her occupied for a bit..
Old 04-22-2012, 06:00 AM

Definately a lap top! I have an Ipad2 but find that you can do much more on a computer. The ipad clears emails every few days, harder to type on and some sites arn't compatible with microsoft so you can't open them. A small computer is only a litte bigger than the I pad so easy to transport. I paid $519.00 plus taxes for the Ipad in Canada but could have bought a small computer for less.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:37 AM

I just brought a iPad 2 & I love it. It is so handy to carry around and I can sit and watch tv and surf the Internet. I hope this habit quits soon,as I don't get anything done. I will like it to read books on.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:42 AM

It seems to me that the comparison isn't equal, since each has different functions and purposes.
An iPad equals toy, although we're using them more and more in school as augmentative speech devices but I have yet to see anyone use it as a real tool as opposed to playing with it. Right now, I can't imagine getting along without a full computer, be it laptop or desktop.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:27 AM

There are nice things about the ipad, but there are also things I don't like, like not having a keyboard, you can buy one for it and attach it, Its nice, but you can do more with a laptop IMHO its just a giant iphone, if you have an iphone you really don't need an ipad.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:49 PM

Thanks everyone! I concur with a lot that has been said here. I have thought about it more and more. I have decided that the laptop will suit my needs more as I already have an iPhone that I do use all the time! I have a notebook to travel with, which I love! My laptop I have is great but getting some age on it! I will just upgrade the laptop. I multitask way to much for the iPad. I am not over excited about movies or music but enjoy all the neat things I can do with the pc! I appreciate all yr help! It pays to think things out and ask others their input, I think for me an iPad would be a real luxury that wouldn't really fill my needs.