IRS Taxes

Old 08-04-2014, 11:14 PM

I was on my way to being a CPA, until God decided that I should have a CVA that caused me to forget how to use numbers. I wish you much better luck. I did enjoy my schooling. Logic, logic, and more logic. You could start now, or wait four years and then be four years older, and still wanting to do it. Go to your local college and ask to speak with the financial aid office. That is how easy getting started is, and since you are a quilter, the math will be much easier for you than high school was. The one thing that every one who goes back to schools says is " why did I wait so long. It is lots less stressful than high school was, and no one ever wishes they had not gone. (My DD's taught me to use numbers again, they were 9 and 14 at the time, but I still have trouble with a check book, so I just never order checks!)
Old 08-05-2014, 12:10 PM
Power Poster

The two C.P.A.s we have had tells us the tax laws change every year. You have to be willing to keep up on all the changes. No way would I want the responsibility to do them.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:49 PM

My daughter is an accountant with a 4 year degree, and still has her taxes done by someone else who is a CPA. I think it is more complicated than it looks.
Sue
Old 08-31-2014, 11:25 PM

The laws about doing tax returns have changed over the years and have not gotten easier, even though they have called some of the changes "simplification acts". that is not a joke, though it sounds like one. I happen to be lucky enough to be a licensed tax consultant in Oregon and have prepared for several different places: H&R Blockqfranchises, company owned, AARP, Jackson Hewitt, and on my own. I started in 1980 ( at 30 years now) and have been through a lot over the years. However, it is one of the most rewarding things you can do IF you can pay attention to the details and the requirements of the IRS. Oregon has very strict and fair licensing laws that must be adhered to to prepare taxes for pay. Overall it is not cheap, but it is nice to only have to "work" for three and a half months of the year. There is a lot of responsibility to go along with this job. I did take the registered preparer test for the IRS and realized that I was more than adequately prepared to continue under the IRS rules. If you cannot pass that test (if and when it gets reinstated), you have no business preparing taxes. If you do decide to try it, I would go to the H&R Block closest to you and take their class. They have been preparing taxes for a long time and have very good classes, basic all the way to the hard stuff. As I stated before, there is a lot of self satisfaction knowing that you can do a job that not every one can, and if you like it, all the better. I can be very rewarding. Good luck with your decision... and if you can handle it, you can be retired and still do the job. it is a very good reason to get out of the house in the middle of winter......